Help!

Lookin' for a fight? Lookin' to talk about a fight? Talk about your multiplayer tactics here.
Imrix

Help!

Post by Imrix » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:53 pm

So, okay, multiplayer works now, apparently. This isn't a technical issue with the game itself; the game works fine for me. This is a problem of my own ignorance about how to handle this "port forwarding" malarkey.

So I started following the guides in this post, and first tried the second link to a program that purportedly will handle it easily. Then I ran screaming from that because it's not freeware, and like hell am I paying thirty dollars for a program I have never before needed and do not foresee needing in the future.

Next I tried to do it manually, couldn't find Command Prompt on Windows 7, did some searching, figured that much out, hit a brick wall for a while on the matter of usernames/passwords, solved that, got into the router program and... Now I'm stuck.

It's an O2 piece of kit, and I can't see how to translate the stuff from the guide to what I'm seeing. I'm flailing around blind here with no goddamn idea what any of this stuff means and terrified I'm going to put my digital foot through something crucial. Is there anybody familiar with fiddling an O2 router who can help me?

SancheZ1993

Re: Help!

Post by SancheZ1993 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:13 pm

Imrix

Post by Imrix » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:04 pm

Yes. My problem is with translating the stuff from this guide to the one you posted. For example, the Wikihow guide displays a screenshot of a long list of ports, while O2 only offers two. I don't even know how much that difference matters, and every time any of the terms don't match up by even minor degrees, my brain stalls while I double-check everything, because terms that are similar are not necessarily the same. I consider myself somewhat tech-savvy, this area is a huge blind spot for me.

SancheZ1993

Post by SancheZ1993 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:37 pm

Actually you don't need to use wikihow manual, because author of this guide has another model of router, than you.

Imrix

Post by Imrix » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:22 pm

But the Steam update for SotS2 points out three ports that need to be forwarded, while the O2 box only offers two fields for picking which ports to forward. I mean I guess it's a range, so it would forward every port between the two I picked, but that seems ripe for unintended consequences.

Starknight

Post by Starknight » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:47 pm

Imrix wrote:But the Steam update for SotS2 points out three ports that need to be forwarded, while the O2 box only offers two fields for picking which ports to forward. I mean I guess it's a range, so it would forward every port between the two I picked, but that seems ripe for unintended consequences.

From what I see in the guide, it offers you the two fields so that you *may* configure a range easily. However, you *can* add ports individually. It should accept multiple entries and build a list.

In other words, to forward just 27015, put that number in both fields and click 'Add'. That should make one entry. Then put 35000 in the first and 35001 in the second, and click 'Add' again. (Or you can do them individually, since the guide says that doing a range can be unreliable.) Once you're done with entering all three ports, then move on to step 7 in that guide.
My Morrigi fleet-speed calculator for SotS Prime
The Holy Lands - Hivers vs. the infidel Liir (and others)
Currently working on getting my board game Dragon Raiders into final condition before going to Kickstarter...

Imrix

Post by Imrix » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:55 am

Okay... Assuming "> Assign a port forward to a local network device" (which is the option available to me) is analogous to "> Assign a game or application to a local network device", that should work. Here's hoping.

Imrix

Post by Imrix » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:56 am

It does not.

Here's a screenshot of the port forward setup after I was done with it. Maybe it's something to do with the blank values, or maybe the whole shebang isn't enabled as far as the router is concerned, or maybe I have even less idea of what I'm talking about than I thought.

Imrix

Post by Imrix » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:08 pm

Many thanks to Starknight for holding my hand through this and pointing me towards the solution over voice chat. Everything is now sorted :D

Starknight

Post by Starknight » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:56 pm

Imrix wrote:Many thanks to Starknight for holding my hand through this and pointing me towards the solution over voice chat. Everything is now sorted :D

Awesome... so you've actually gotten some MP gaming in?

Happy to help.
Currently working on getting my board game Dragon Raiders into final condition before going to Kickstarter...

dast

Post by dast » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:24 pm

TCP ?
shouldnt the protocol be always UDP ???

Starknight

Post by Starknight » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:59 pm

dast wrote:TCP ?
shouldnt the protocol be always UDP ???

Depends upon if you want reliable end-to-end communications or not.

Although admittedly, in this case, it does appear to be UDP.

Nathiuz

Post by Nathiuz » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:29 am

Any chance you could post the fix? I'm pulling my hair out trying to get it to work as well.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:34 am

what fix?

Starknight

Post by Starknight » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:49 am

Nathiuz wrote:Any chance you could post the fix? I'm pulling my hair out trying to get it to work as well.

Hi Nathiuz,

If you're using the same model of O2 router that Imrix is, then you need to set up a port forward for UDP 35000 and 35001 and TCP/UDP 27015. (Set the protocol to 'Any' and that will make an entry for both.) Then you need to assign it to your machine, and make sure it's enabled. Once you do that, it should work.

Return to “Multiplayer Discussion”