duck bird Vs BlueInstinct

Lookin' for a fight? Lookin' to talk about a fight? Talk about your multiplayer tactics here.
BlueInstinct

duck bird Vs BlueInstinct

Post by BlueInstinct » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:56 am

This game started out like many good Mp games do....
with a reevaluation of the gamedata and the replacing of a good 35 files via steam.
(i love my mods, but keep loseing trak of them :) )

After that matter is satteled the game is comencing.

MAP: Duel
RANDOMS: 0%, GM: 0
Research modifier: 120%
Economic modifier 100%

I play As Solforce, Duck_bird chooses the Morrigi

The begining:

My initial research path is still classified but i did try my luck on fusion torps early, as i do almost always, and i
rolled a good chance, so i got them pretty soon.

The morrigi started out agressive, and very soon the first fleet of scouts started harrasig my borders.
They took out one of my freshly setteled colonies and proceedet deeper in, where thy got stopped by planetary missiles.

Soon after that initial raids, my torpedo fleets came online just ready to greet another morrigi harrasing fleet named: pesky jerks
The pesky jerks got blasted into oblivion and the torpedo ships went into morrigi space and took out another 2 fleets and some civilians.

However soon enough the torpedo fun was over, the birds started fielding laser PD and drones with X-ray lasers and went on the offensive once more
My torpedo fleets got decimated and i still was unable to reclaim my early lost border world, whil the ennemy has settled 1 system next to it, pretty close to my home territory, from where it could stage long lasting invasions into the heart of my empire.
The birds where only held off by my planetery missiles + 3 drone sats + my torpedos and my laser PD, there was no thinking about moving into the offensive.

The next level of morrigi fightin ships arrove sooner then expected, phasers, equipped on their drones and war cruisers.
Pacem, one of the proud human colonies was under heavy preasure, as 3 morrigi fleets arrived out of nothing.
Fleet 1: Dronecarriers
Fleet2: Full combat cruisers
Fleet3: Assault shuttles

One of the defending fleets is gone for good..

Only barely the humans managed to kill off most of the assault shuttles and keep the morrigi from glassing the world at the cost of 2 torped/Armor Cr fleets.

But the new battletechonolgy for Sol Force was ready, after going overbudget for 3 turns and 140% funds:

Battleriders

Their initial design was not able to really beat the morrigi ships (plasma cannon on the medium mounts and UV lasers+pd, and some gauss)
the problem was that the small battlerider chassis wasnt able to support enough energy for a full energyweapon based layout and the best energy weapons (xray laser)

, so the new rider featured only 4 energy weapons: 4 x small mount Xray laser; rest balistics: 2 x medium mount mass driver and all other gauss cannon.

those riders where able to destroy the morrigi ships and the tides of the battle turned, however once my fleets enterd morrigi systems, the defenders advantage drove me out easylie.....

in between the birds managed to kill off all of pacems population with a sneaky assault shuttle play, however they have been intercepted as they tried it again..

So I decidet its time to use a very long nodeline into morrigi space that i havent used before to surprise the birds
I sent 2 Fleets of Battlerider carriers and, yey, nobody was at home..... the fleets destroyed 2 stations and all the infrastrcutur from one of the two inhabited planets, the population however was difficult to kill, and the Solforce command is really questioning my decision to attack without assaultshuttle support...

next turn still now considerable morrigi force, but they managed to kill of one of my Command ships, wich was poorly positioned, so only 1 fleet is left
another turn later the remaining fleet still stays uncontested, hammering away at the population, but those birds are had to kill off, they still have over 50% of their original ammount..

However one turn later, 4 fleets showed up in pacem once again, and only 2 mediocer fleets are there to defend, and since 2 full fleets of Carriers are gone harrasing, the reinforcements are limited aswell. If the morrigi can claim pacem and establish a foothold, they have opened the door to my empire completely and will very likely win the war.
So Humanity HAS to hold it....

to be continued.....
Last edited by BlueInstinct on Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:28 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Pavane

Re: duck bird Vs BlueInstinct

Post by Pavane » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:11 pm

Thanks for that. It is a lot of fun to read the strategies and visualise the battles with pictures. The 1,2,3 attack with a drone fleet, a combat fleet, and an assault fleet works with most races.
Stellar Union

duckbird

Post by duckbird » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:52 pm

This has been a very fun game so far! Nice write up!

BlueInstinct

Post by BlueInstinct » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:40 pm

The escalation:

Pacem was held, but at a price ...

The battles increased in scale and destruction, the war became a brutal affair.
Both sides sustained heavy losses but the morrigi slowely pushed the humans into a corner, and solforce defenitely was the side with the higher losses.

The birdes kept on the preasure onto the pacem system, hitting it frequently with 4-5 fleet armadas wich usually featured:

2x Drone Carrier fleet
1-2x Warcruiser fleet
1x Assaultshuttle fleet
1x repair and resupply fleet

Solforce still has all their forces in battlerider carrier Fleets

the drones really pose a big threat since they get in and take out 3-4 Cruisers and after that the Drone carriers just get out of harms way.
The only bad thing about this tactic is that after the first run, the drones are dead and the fleet is more or less useless, but the trade is favouring the birds for sure !

The warcruiser fleets usually neutralise all 30 battleriders and 3-4solforce Carriers and usually 5-6 of the birds ships explode wich is a good trade for the birds aswell.

Solforce managed to organise an offensive only once!
3 Fleets counting a total of 30 Carriers and 90 battleriders where sent to the bordering morrigi star Gotham, wich has alrdy 2 bird colonys and a naval station, and is the homebase for all the offensive runs.

The 3 fleets got repelled and even though they took 2 and a halfe bird fleets with them, almost all of the 90 Battleriders got shot down in the first run and 2 fleets lost almost all of the carriers aswell. So they couldnot accomplish what was so badly needet:
To whipe out the forward base . . .

the battles have evolved into pure carnage with both sides takinga hefty ammount of punishment

And after a short and intense trade of blows...

...finally, one enemy fleet is dispatched, but at what cost

In the last battle, the birds finally managed to destroy the naval station on Pacem, the defense is almost broken..

Another disturbing fact is that the morrigi arsenal hasnt changed over the whole last session, so once they come out with their new combat techs, everything will get worse for humanity.

But there is also hope, solforce scientists are working on a secret project witch is very promising in theory
Also, inteligence has gathered the information that the Morrigi scientists have failed to acomplish a very potent weapon (duck told me he failed emitters...)

So, not all is lost and humans will fight to the end no matter how it might look like...

marshb

Post by marshb » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:19 am

This is some awesome stuff! Why do you think the battleriders were so ineffective?
Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.

Orison of Sonmi-451

duckbird

Post by duckbird » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:56 am

Haha they've been quite effective! I got some pointers on that though and noticed that armor cruisers with 2 PD mounts can go toe-to-toe with the BRs if I set phasers to target only PD early in the fight. Really makes a difference when trying to clean the swarm up.

But yes, as queen of the Morrigi, (do they have a queen?) I had to have several scientists fired when we rolled a 1% for emitters, and also failed another very important tech. I've dealt with the BRs mostly by running from them with the drone cruisers and letting the drones snipe enemy carriers, or by just brawling with them with phaser/PD cruisers. I think I'm trading favorably but Blue hasn't shown any new tricks lately which has me concerned.

Yes, our offensive weapons have been stagnant for quite some time... bwahahaha. New things are in the works for sure. I teched in a very different direction that hasn't been useful yet. Blue has been fielding the same guns for a long time so I figured he was rushing dreads, and prepped counters to them, only to be met instead with waves and waves of BRs.

FireStorm20

Post by FireStorm20 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:58 pm

Nice AAR and nice pics:).

I find if you fail emmiters against BRs next best thing is ballistic PD , laser PD is just so so, but ballistic is much better.Ofc its on another research path and not so great probability for morrigi so hard to tell if its worth it... Also i never used but i presume the phaser pd would be even more effective.
Faded steel heat

duckbird

Post by duckbird » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:54 am

Well, emitters are officially the strongest goddamn weapon I've ever seen in this game!

I had wondered what tricks Blue was up to, and the answer is emitters! All of a sudden my fleets of drone carriers are rendered useless - lightning bolts blasting drones out of the sky. My brawler fleets of phaser-cruisers armored with quark resonators and improved reflective coating simply can't touch a fleet of cruisers armed with emitters. Even with hardened electronics I'm trading a full fleet for one or two ships. All offensive operations are ceased, and the birds are forced to desperately defend while an answer to the fiendish humans is thought up!

The new colony of Blake is overwhelmed by emitter cruisers, and the birds are forced to abandon it. One of the core Morrigi systems, Kroozebane, also comes under attack, and a strange glitch causes one of our colonies to fall. (His assault shuttle fleet spawned ON TOP OF one of my planets on the FIRST round of combat, what the f***? ) With reinforcements far away, Kroozebane is in trouble!

The birds frantically look to their technology for answers. Hardened electronics doesn't seem to help, but perhaps our superior brains will! The new Albatross cruisers are released, boasting a powerful forward battery of lancers, disruptor torpedoes, and phaser banks, combined with the new state-of-the-art Void Mastery drive system. Aboard each ship is a master psychic birdy who specializes in the crapping-of-pants of our human adversaries. Initial tests were wildly successful, with the human ships scattering in terror while our heavy beams chopped up their hulls.

But the losses have been steep. Our forward base of operations in Blake has been lost to the human scum, ceding nodeline access to our vulnerable home nests. With Kroozebane, our trade capital, out of commission for a few turns, will our brave birdies be able to beat back this human counter attack? Stay tuned!

Next time: Counter Attack! And the new highly classified "Ostrich" class of ships is given its debut on the battlefield...

FireStorm20

Post by FireStorm20 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:47 am

Wow , what kind of emitters was this, medium ones? The small ones in my experience are tottaly innefective against anything bigger then battlerider.
Faded steel heat

duckbird

Post by duckbird » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:35 am

Medium emitters. He's got 2 on the heavy turrets, so it can't be heavy ones.

Still terrifying though.

marshb

Post by marshb » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:15 am

Moar pics please! :love: What turn is it by the way?
Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.

Orison of Sonmi-451

Karu

Post by Karu » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:43 am

Emitters are a neat weapon.
Destroy his planets in a runby with an R+S in fleet to get the salvage option for a small chance to get it as salvage.

Else go Adamantium to get immunity. 2nd option is DNs. (3rd option for liir only is in the drive tech for another blue layer)
Both render Emitter useless - 2 blue armor layers are to much.

Other things that work great against Emitter fleets are IOBMs - the laser kind.
Acid missiles if you can predict where he is running.

Emitters are strong against drones, BR, missiles, shields, Cruiser with 1 blue layer and structeres.
They are terrible against Planets and anything with 2 blue layers.

Else go for mid range weapons that you can spread out your ships. If you cluster to much each shot jumps 5 times.
So don't cluster :) Also Morrigi drones have 2 medium mounts .. a shame you didn't role medium emitter for them :twisted:

Sincerly

BlueInstinct

Post by BlueInstinct » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:59 am

duckbird wrote:.. One of the core Morrigi systems, Kroozebane, also comes under attack, and a strange glitch causes one of our colonies to fall. (His assault shuttle fleet spawned ON TOP OF one of my planets on the FIRST round of combat, what the f***? ) ...

2 Fleets attacked 1 comabt 1 assault, first fleet (combat) pushed in and endet the battle spread out over 2 sectors next to the planet, 2 ships of the fleet endet right next to the planet shooting it.

Now the standard is that the second fleet of invaders will start where the first left off, it was just hard to say where that has to be exactly since the first fleet was spread out over 2 sectors.

Maybe the point next to the planet was choosen as starting point for the second fleet becuase the 2 ships from the first fleet have been really close 2gether...maybe some random factros ....idk, they spawned on the perfect spot for sure....
The assault shuttles would have spawned close to the plante in any case though.

duckbird

Post by duckbird » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:31 pm

Haha oh gosh, rolling emitters would have been fantastic. My drones would have been twice as terrifying as they already have been! I'm workin' on counters to emitters. My feasibility study for adamantium was... less than confidence inspiring, but I will have a go at it anyway. Other counters are in the works ^.^

In the meantime though, scary human fleets!

I know the assault fleet was supposed to spawn where the first one left off, had they spawned where your first fleet was, my ships woulda been between you and the planet. Instead they spawned near the totally other planet, and right on it's face! Quite the bummer.

edit: ack, jk going out tonight apparently. This afternoon perhaps?
Last edited by duckbird on Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlueInstinct

Post by BlueInstinct » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:31 pm

The Fall and Rise

The battle over pacem was lost.
The morrigi invaders took ot the planet before the reserves could be relocated, some carrier and command ships,
battleriders and 3 big construction ships have not been able to escape.

but the morrigi didnt stop there, they proceedet to strike the homworld with everything they had left, wich was 4 fleets.
1 fleet of battlerider carriers and some supply ships, assaultshuttle carriers and outdated armor crusiers stood to
defend humanity from total annhilation.

The last pacem defenders going in...

The carrier fleet managed to neutralize 1 fleet, but got decimated themselfs, while the other fleet composed of the remainings tried
to buy time and supported the heavy planetary missile fire.

All 3 stations got destroeyd, the naval yard was the last to fall after taking a load of punishment while the support fleet was able to cripple the attackers
that had to stay very close to the planet in the process.

after that the assaultshuttle fleet of the morrigi had no resistence left against them and ran a full hit on the homeworld.
In the next turn, still no ships with reasonable PD was left to hinder the assault shuttles from wrecking the homeworld.

Over halfe of the entire population was gone but the planet was still standing.
The morrigi ran out of ships and retreated for now, however, defeat was almost certain in that moment.

The situation was so hopeless that even the Prime Dictator, Blueinstinct, was thinking of discussing surrender, and a small
delegation was sent to the morrigi. Statistics about economy and tech have been revealed and it turned out that the bird had 5.4 million income per year
while the humans only acumulated 3.2 million

Still, aslong as the homeworld wasnot taken, the commanders wanted to fight on.
Exactly at that time the medium emitter weapon was ready for action and was put on the battleriders.
A new cruiser design focusing only on the new weapon was prototyped and produced as fast as possible.

And then the unthinkable happened.
It turned out that the new ships are vastly superior to the morrigi arsenal and even with smaller numbers we drove them out.

Human fleets kicking out Brids on all fronts

We soon found our selfs on the offensive and the first system that got taken out was a freshly installed base with 2 colonized planets, naval and trade station, only 1 nodejump
away from the human homeworld.

The Morrigi Commander trys to split up his ships to reduce colateral emitter damage, without success

Next was the older base of operations 2 jumps away but it was heavylie defendet and didnt fall, even though some ships got destroyd.
Parallel to that, the new Nodepathing engines allowed fully combat fleets to use a very long direct rout into morrigi space thta has never been used before
the surprise was perfect as 1 combat and 1 assaultshuttle fleets arrived and destroyd 1 of the 3 lvl6 planets in the first turn, the merchanter class civilian
station and a small naval base fell in the second turn, the fleets are still patrolling this system waiting for the next turn.

however the free reign over the battlefield didnt last too long, in the latest battle, the birds showed cruisers armed with heavy beams and disruptor torpedos,
aswell as terrifying psyonic fear attacks.
The human fleet turned into sitting ducks and only 2 shuips survived.
The fate of humanity is uncertain again...

Human ships stopped fireing..
..and got sloughterd

Return to “Multiplayer Discussion”