SoTS ]|[

A lot of gamers means a lot of opinions - share and discuss them here.

Moderator: Erinys

Alderon101

SoTS ]|[

Post by Alderon101 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:29 pm

Ships
Some things that I think a lot of people would Like to see in an expansion to SoTS 2 would definitely include playability. Lag is a tremendous problem alongside that is a few minor problems commonly looked over. In SoTS Prime :sots1: You started with your Destroyer Class, You then slowly progressed onto cruiser and finally Dreadnaught. In SoTS Prime you could add modals like shields and cloak to Destroyers and cruisers. This meant If you played in a style where you kept your ships hidden most of the time, you could still upgrade and keep that tactic, In SoTS ][ You could only apply Cloak and shield modules to cruisers. I admit you could get Disruptors for Dreadnoughts as well, but the usefulness of those in minimal and only if your facing the fire.

Fleets and Tactical
Leaving the module Section we launch directly into the fleet section. In SoTS Prime your produced ships would automatically form into a fleet, alongside that, you could have practically infinite ships in a fleet. The counter to this was you could only field a handful of ships in tactical mode, but they would drop directly into combat allowing you to have along battle if you wished. In SoTS ][ you introduced the System map instead of just the planet. This I think did good for Gameplay. The small details though, I hoped to see in Tactical mode were: A, You could have your fleet prepare and set up prior to invasion. This was mostly to provide a use to minelayers, In both SoTS ][ and Prime these ships provided minor usefulness unless you could get them to deploy their payload before the Enemy came along. The SoTS Prime Fleet and Tactical mesh of reinforcements was good in my opinion and made it so you didn't have to have multiple fleets and separate battles to invade or capture worlds. The only thing I wish could have been added to SoTS ][ that I never Heard of was massive fielding capacity (Able to field more units in Tactical)

Techs
In the Tech Section I can Almost only glorify SoTS ][, There was a massive number of new Techs. In the beginning of SoTS ][ I admit I was Genuinely worried there was no AI techs, as there were in SoTS Prime offering Fire Control and Industrial Improvement. Some techs though were erased that I missed, mostly the Polarized Plasmatics and Projector branches, Another that in SoTS ][ I never Found was the Dumbfire Missile Launcher (DF Racks) I hope to see those techs or variants of them appear in any sequel.

Game Setup
The Game set up argument is believably a difficult one to deal with, As far as appearance, SoTS ][ Takes the lead. In almost all other fields SoTS Prime. In SoTS Prime you had a set form or build that you could adjust be it number of stars or Distance of said stars. The game set up for SoTS ][ was less creative. You had the builds and that was about all you could adjust, you could though adjust Size and Resource capacity, which were more adjustable than in SoTS Prime. The scenario section was beautiful in SoTS ][, Except there wasn't anything there... in SoTS prime you already had the scenario but you could at least play it. This sincerely saddened me to find no scenarios in SoTS ][. As this goes it is a grey line, but I would put it with SoTS Prime mainly on the adjustability of the maps (Oh except for the "Rainbow Stars" that was annoying.)

Multiplayer
A Friend of mine and I always wanted to play this game together, and occasionally I wanted to play myself. There was always through both SoTS Prime and SoTS ][ the problem of a lack of Hotseat playability That is all I am going to touch on since the SoTS (Prime and ][) Multiplayer severs are down Currently, so on we go.

Story
I am severely adamant to touch on this subject because It (in my mind) is like telling you how to make your game, but I should talk about it. In SoTS Prime the story line was a simple (Not so simple I just realized ;) ) Story of Humans slowly expand encountering race after hostile race, In SoTS ][ The Story evolved into the war is over and then they get attacked. The Suul'ka I think was a brilliant thing to do (Love the gameplay), but Joining the Liir and Zuul was a questionable thing in my book, but as I said I am not telling you what to do. Now most of the Races have had a featuring. SoTS Prime was the stage for the humans, SoTS Born of Blood :bob: was a Stage for Zuul/Suul'ka, SoTS Murder of Crows :amoc: was the stage for the Morrigi, SoTS ][ I would say was the stage for the Liir and finally SoTS ][ End of Flesh, was the Stage for the Loa (BTW how do you say their name its been pronounced Low, and Loa {as in Boa}) The only two races waiting for a stage are the Tarkas and Hivers, The Latter of which I can't wait for. So I am going to End that right here.

If you want to add anything to my list Please have the Heading in your reply/response thanks for contributing! and Lets hope the designers read it! ;)

Mecron
Kerberos

Re: SoTS ]|[

Post by Mecron » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:33 pm

the designers try and read every post ;)

Ciurrioc

Post by Ciurrioc » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:29 pm

Will be sexy whenever Sots 3 Rolls around, but for me personally Sots 2 hasn't gotten enough attention (as in I haven't played it nearly as religiously as Sots Prime) hope she gets some MORE love, some much untapped awesomeness swirling around there imo.
Has seen the Cover of the fabled Mecronomicon

"Who's hands shape what is"

Been around since 07...forum ate my account...rip 8/3/13

Nall White

Post by Nall White » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:47 pm

Alderon101 wrote:but Joining the Liir and Zuul was a questionable thing in my book

Yo dawg you don't like carriers inside yo carriers? Fully pimped out Prester Zuul ship with Liir tech is a thing of beauty. And, The Travelers enjoy making them die along side their maker. ;)
I'm NOT a cat!

ScoSteSal118

Post by ScoSteSal118 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:16 pm

Nall White wrote:
Alderon101 wrote:but Joining the Liir and Zuul was a questionable thing in my book

Yo dawg you don't like carriers inside yo carriers? Fully pimped out Prester Zuul ship with Liir tech is a thing of beauty. And, The Travelers enjoy making them die along side their maker. ;)

Lol. Also, what was questionable about it:
The Lore? The way that the the Zuul and Liir backstories and cultures were set up and then how the interactions of Ishii and Deacon led to Deacon forming the Prester Zuul and then how the Liir welcomed the Prester into the fold made sense to me. Have you read A Deacon's Tale?
Did you dislike something about the gameplay or art changes that resulted from the formation of the Alliance?

Darkwing dack

Post by Darkwing dack » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:44 pm

Alderon101 wrote: Some techs though were erased that I missed, mostly the Polarized Plasmatics and Projector branches,

Can someone explaine this line?

Nspace
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Nspace » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:22 pm

I'm not entirely sure. Maybe the Alderon101 never noticed that all three of the techs mentioned are in the game but two are under slightly different names?

Polarized Plasmatics --> War Quoit (though the tech is still Polarized Plasmatics)
DF Racks --> Rapid Fire Missiles
Plasma Projector --> Plasma Projector

Or maybe Alderon101 just got unlucky with the rolls and never had them in a game?
"Quando omni flunkus, mortati" - "When all else fails, play dead"
SotS 1 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots1/Main_Page
SotS 2 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots2/SotS2_Codex

AdmiralFox

Post by AdmiralFox » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:40 am

Ok, I'll take a crack at the idea of SotS 3:

First things first, we'll need a detailed analysis of what went right, what went wrong, and what went weird in SotS 1 and SotS 2. That is going to be needed no matter what we want. Even analyze the mods while you're at it, particularly the popular ones. That will give you a lot of data to work with. In addition, take a gander at the wider market to see what is succeeding and what isn't... and not be afraid to simply make your own version of another's mechanic(s). Hell, you can do something like take Nexus: The Jupiter Incident's system view for whenever you want to engage in combat in-system! There is a lot of good stuff to take a gander at and adapt to your needs, the only limitation is making it different enough so you don't get sued, making it work, and it being thematic for the setting.

Second, we'll have to design a new game engine or use a 3rd Party engine re-spec'd to our needs. It is likely to be Unity, given its versatility... if you guys do your own engine, then we'll have to wait longer than using 3rd Party engines spec'd to our needs. Also, no matter what you'll need to pack a modding toolkit with faction adding support. One of SotS 1's and (to a lesser extent) SotS2's strengths is the modding. Making it far easier to simply make and use mods (perhaps a built-in mod manager?) would be quite useful in terms of money. Remember how long Sins of a Solar Empire ran? A lot of that is simply because of the modding community.

Third, no matter what we do, we'll need to use what worked and what didn't in the previous two games to build the mechanics of the third game... and probably have lots of alpha and beta testing just to be sure. That is going to be essential going forward. I'm an Iron Harvest Alpha-tester and oh boy it can be rough when something decides to take a dump for no odd reason. :cry:

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:02 pm

AdmiralFox wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:40 am
Ok, I'll take a crack at the idea of SotS 3:

First things first, we'll need a detailed analysis of what went right, what went wrong, and what went weird in SotS 1 and SotS 2. That is going to be needed no matter what we want. Even analyze the mods while you're at it, particularly the popular ones. That will give you a lot of data to work with. In addition, take a gander at the wider market to see what is succeeding and what isn't... and not be afraid to simply make your own version of another's mechanic(s). Hell, you can do something like take Nexus: The Jupiter Incident's system view for whenever you want to engage in combat in-system! There is a lot of good stuff to take a gander at and adapt to your needs, the only limitation is making it different enough so you don't get sued, making it work, and it being thematic for the setting.

Second, we'll have to design a new game engine or use a 3rd Party engine re-spec'd to our needs. It is likely to be Unity, given its versatility... if you guys do your own engine, then we'll have to wait longer than using 3rd Party engines spec'd to our needs. Also, no matter what you'll need to pack a modding toolkit with faction adding support. One of SotS 1's and (to a lesser extent) SotS2's strengths is the modding. Making it far easier to simply make and use mods (perhaps a built-in mod manager?) would be quite useful in terms of money. Remember how long Sins of a Solar Empire ran? A lot of that is simply because of the modding community.

Third, no matter what we do, we'll need to use what worked and what didn't in the previous two games to build the mechanics of the third game... and probably have lots of alpha and beta testing just to be sure. That is going to be essential going forward. I'm an Iron Harvest Alpha-tester and oh boy it can be rough when something decides to take a dump for no odd reason. :cry:
There's no plans for SOTS3 as of yet, the closest would be SOTSHD. That thread is over on the SOTS1 board, Say Hypothetically...

I do recall that Kerb's plans for SOTS3 if it ever happens is to simulate how modern warfare is compared to both SOTS1 and 2; SOTS1 emulates WW1, SOTS2 emulates WW2 and 3 was to be more along the lines of warfare as it is viewed nowadays. Granted that was posted ages ago, so things may have changed since then.

SOTSHD if it is a reality will be using Unreal Engine 4, so SOTS3 would be using that as well. Engines are picky with what sort of games they are good at, and 4x happens to be one of the hardest, especially one which focuses on the battles in a SOTS fashion. After all, every projectile is fully simulated in SOTS2 which includes mass, speed, statistics, even whether or not the armor panel it hit is sloped so it has a higher chance of being deflected away. Fairly sure SOTS1 does the same.

Modding support... well, all we can do is hope on that front. SOTS2's early days had quite a few issues because people were reporting problems that mods were causing and had been fixed already in most cases, increasing the workload on Kerberos. Hopefully that's been forgiven by now, but I'm sure they'd not like a repeat of that.

Analyzing SOTS1 and SOTS2 is going to be difficult because they are fundamentally very different games. Even something as simple as the Admiral system in SOTS2 changes the entire way fleets are handled when compared to SOTS1. (Granted Admirals were supposed to play a much larger role than they currently do, but that feature wasn't finished.)
Sword of the Stars 2 : Project Hiver Modder
Creator of the Work-In-Progress Seimei Visual Novel series.
My dream game: Combination of Sword of the Stars 2, Angels Fall First, Conquest: Frontier Wars and Warzone 2100.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:43 pm

I just wanna know who these "We" guys are?! :lol:

AdmiralFox

Post by AdmiralFox » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:52 am

Mecron wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:43 pm
I just wanna know who these "We" guys are?! :lol:
Well, it is more to you guys but I was also laying out a hypothetical roadmap -even if very barebones- for SotS 3 that others can follow as it were...

Any SotS 3 is going to be immense in terms of the required work department. You are better off rebuilding your foundation first then get SotS 3 going (or better yet, find a way to buy back SotS 2 from Paradox)...

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:11 pm

the most important thing to realize was that each sots sequel was meant to be a different kind of game...not just incremental changes. It was always intended that whichever game you liked best in the series you were meant to play it as long as it made you happy ;)

Return to “Suggestions”