Default to Simulated when no fleet present

A lot of gamers means a lot of opinions - share and discuss them here.

Moderator: Erinys

Trifler

Default to Simulated when no fleet present

Post by Trifler » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:51 am

I like the simulated combat for its superior accuracy in determining how the battle goes.

Currently when an enemy attacks, it always defaults to manual combat. My suggestion is simply that when an enemy attacks one of my planets and I have no ships present (thus there's nothing for me to control) it would default to Simulated. Or, more simply, any combat involving my assets in which I have no ships should default to Simulated.

Trifler

Re: Default to Simulated when no fleet present

Post by Trifler » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:32 am

Thoughts on this?

RobAK801
Doomsayer

Post by RobAK801 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:18 am

That's how Prime did it. My guess it is on the "to do" list for a future update.
N* makes me miss my Commadore 64 and my copies of Starflight I + II :(

SolForce Grunt 1: With the Suul'ka on the loose Command has issued a F.U.C.K. You order.
SG2: A what?
SG1: A Fight Until Cthulu Kills You order!

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:55 pm

exactamundo

Trifler

Post by Trifler » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:24 pm

I don't think this was ever understood the way I meant it. When there's a battle, you have the option of of manual (crossed rifles) or simulated, where the AI controls your ships and time goes by very quickly. I simply meant that if you have no ships present, it should default to the latter. I was not referring to how Prime calculated battles.

Iejir_Isk

Post by Iejir_Isk » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:57 pm

but, i like watching the battles... gives me time to actually watch what's going on ... >.> and hitting the + key 50 or so times makes it go by quick enough >.>

Trifler

Post by Trifler » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:00 am

Iejir_Isk wrote:but, i like watching the battles... gives me time to actually watch what's going on ... >.> and hitting the + key 50 or so times makes it go by quick enough >.>

Again you misunderstand. You do still watch the battles. Also, as I said, it would only default to this if *none of your ships are present* so there'd be nothing to see except the enemy shooting your planets anyway. Plus, just because it defaults to this doesn't mean you can't click on the manual button before the battle starts. The only thing this is does is make the AI Control/Simulated (I can't remember what it's called) selected by default before the battle starts when you have no ships present. Currently all battles default to the manual control option.

Terramort

Post by Terramort » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:18 pm

The amount of people that totally don't understand... ok. You know how in the battle manager (BEFORE the battle starts), you have to choose weather you would like to simulate the battle, or manually control it yourself, have the option auto-select Auto-Resolve (again, this being BEFORE the battle starts and nothing to do with HOW the battle is simulated) if any of the participants have ships present.

Why? Because during lategame when you are attempting to take numerous systems, having the obvious battle default to auto-resolve would save a lot of clicking, and a lot of accidental combats a player doesn't really want to watch (other than the simulated screen, which we are not talking about changing, only the auto-select BEFORE the battle).

Trifler

Post by Trifler » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:36 am

Terramort wrote:The amount of people that totally don't understand... ok. You know how in the battle manager (BEFORE the battle starts), you have to choose weather you would like to simulate the battle, or manually control it yourself, have the option auto-select Auto-Resolve (again, this being BEFORE the battle starts and nothing to do with HOW the battle is simulated) if any of the participants have ships present.

Why? Because during lategame when you are attempting to take numerous systems, having the obvious battle default to auto-resolve would save a lot of clicking, and a lot of accidental combats a player doesn't really want to watch (other than the simulated screen, which we are not talking about changing, only the auto-select BEFORE the battle).

Thank you Terramort. That's exactly what I'm talking about. :)

Terramort

Post by Terramort » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:06 pm

Yes, but I like how are completely ignored now. They think you said something else, and since you dared had the balls to correct them, your post won't get a single comment. Anyway. Just letting you know I understand, and support, your idea. There have been quite a few times there are extra combats I didn't see, and end up watching battles that are just the AI flying towards my planet for 5 minutes.

ForceUser

Post by ForceUser » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:05 am

Just because no one commented after he explained himself doesn't mean everyone is ignoring him and misunderstood him. I read this thread last week, I got what he said, saw the misunderstanding and read his explanation. I, like everyone else, just didn't feel like we had anything to add. Same thing with the devs, they read all the suggestions, just bebcause they do not reply to each one does not mean they are ignoring it. That is somewhat paranoid don't you think? It sounds like your personal feelings regarding the devs are starting to color your replies in a negative light.

Also, the amount of replies or 'support' for a sugestion is not weighted in weather or not a sugestion is implemented. This is not a popularity contest. The devs judge each sugestion based on itself, the time/effort it would take to implement compared to it's positive impact on the game, lore, gameplay, etc. and not by how many people voice their support for it.
Perspective Man: Much like common sense, it's so rare it's a gorram superpower.
Agent.nihilist wrote:Ooo! Whats the gesture for ramming!?
Korgan wrote:probably a pelvic thrust
Mecron wrote:oy that is wrong at so many levels...well done! :P

RobAK801
Doomsayer

Post by RobAK801 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:36 am

The first 2 replies to the OP, other than his bump, were myself an Mecron and we both clearly DID understand. I pointed out that in Prime if you had no ships at a battle it defaulted to auto-resolve and that it was probably on the "to do" list for ][; Mec confirmed that was the case. He may have thought himself unclear/misunderstood but he was not.

Edit:the misunderstanding was his own, that is he misunderstood myself and Mecron.
N* makes me miss my Commadore 64 and my copies of Starflight I + II :(

SolForce Grunt 1: With the Suul'ka on the loose Command has issued a F.U.C.K. You order.
SG2: A what?
SG1: A Fight Until Cthulu Kills You order!

Resok
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Resok » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:43 pm

I'd agree overall with this suggestion only if there were no defense assets in system also. The amount of control you have over police cutters, BRs and drones, and SBDs can turn the tide of battle with some good movement and targeting choices.
- Resok

Return to “Suggestions”