Biosphere uses.

A lot of gamers means a lot of opinions - share and discuss them here.

Moderator: Erinys

jecjackal

Biosphere uses.

Post by jecjackal » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:44 pm

When i first learned of biosphere before the game launched, i assumed it was a natural limit to the amount of terraforming which could be done on a planet. Right now, biosphere serves as a tax income bonus and the player's psi pool. It would be nice if it also effected terraforming.

For example if a planet has 200 biosphere, it can shift +/- 200 CH. Once all of that is used it, it cannot be terraformed any more. This way if a planet changed hands several times in a game, it might become useless. This also opens up the scorched earth tactics; destroy the planet as your abandoning it to prevent your enemy from taking it, while taking a diplomatic hit.

An alternate idea is to also limit maximum population by biosphere. Say any amount below 1000 will reduce maximum pop (or at least maximum civilian population). If it reaches 0, maybe have only 50% normal civilian population).

Just some thoughts.

BlueTemplar

Re: Biosphere uses.

Post by BlueTemplar » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:32 pm

If implemented exactly like that, this mechanic might pose problems considering how Loa threat their biospheres... :roll:

Hawawaa

Post by Hawawaa » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:14 am

Well not really. IE they are not beatbags so "hey look you killed the forest." Loa: "HA!, More space for solar panels!"

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:17 am

It will pose a problem because it would make Loa planets uncolonizable by other species.

Naja
Doomsayer

Post by Naja » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:32 pm

I agree. Biosphere should have more "consequences" when it comes to eliminating it. Environmental devastation is nothing to scoff at.

This could be represented as making terraforming harder if it goes to 0, limiting civilian population, or otherwise.

crazy10101

Post by crazy10101 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:34 pm

Limiting civ pop would be interesting, given how overpopulation causes steady degradation of biosphere; would almost become an overharvest for tax/trade.
99 bugs found in the code!
99 bugs found!
Fix one bug!
Compile it again!
100 bugs found in the code!

Naja
Doomsayer

Post by Naja » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:40 pm

crazy10101 wrote:Limiting civ pop would be interesting, given how overpopulation causes steady degradation of biosphere; would almost become an overharvest for tax/trade.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

crazy10101

Post by crazy10101 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:52 pm

Naja wrote:
crazy10101 wrote:Limiting civ pop would be interesting, given how overpopulation causes steady degradation of biosphere; would almost become an overharvest for tax/trade.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Of course, given that we're talking about "real" people here, I can't say the idea of overharvest would work well. What overpopulation is meant to be, in my opinion, is the intensification of urban land use, abd expanding said urban areas.

The drop in biosphere is the effect that expansion has on the world's natural state of affairs, where hitting 0 means it's very homogenous, no real diversity (think like a zoo).
99 bugs found in the code!
99 bugs found!
Fix one bug!
Compile it again!
100 bugs found in the code!

Birdco

Post by Birdco » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:44 am

Note that Biosphere represents the amount of native life on the planet, and that Terraforming destroys some of that life and replaces it with something more familiar to the colonizing species

Having 0 biosphere for a non loa world does not mean that there is no nonsapient life, it just means everything there is an invasive species(it's all corn and apple trees and Bermuda grass). Since the life didn't evolve there, it doesn't create the natural symbiotic relationships that generate lots of psi potential.

CraigRichards

Post by CraigRichards » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:27 am

Hawawaa wrote:Well not really. IE they are not beatbags so "hey look you killed the forest." Loa: "HA!, More space for solar panels!"

Surely more space for solar panels.. We need to save our planet and employing solar and wind farms is the best way to do it.

Return to “Suggestions”