MP skirmishes as a separate game?

A lot of gamers means a lot of opinions - share and discuss them here.

Moderator: Erinys

Gopblin

MP skirmishes as a separate game?

Post by Gopblin » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:01 am

In my humble opinion, this game has a great space combat and ship design/research parts, and the rest is rather basic.

If I want to test my fleet creation / command skills against another player or even AI, there is no reason for me to sit through 5+ hours of mindless interface clicking and micromanagement before I can build an fing LV (with a good chance that the game would be won or lost long before then).

There are tons of possible game modes that would basically make a whole another game with very little work involved - with proper tutorials and promotion on Steam, standalone competitive tactical combat could even make for a much more popular game than the full space empire sim. After all, it would be a lot easier to get into the tactical combat with some premade designs and a few practice missions vs AI.

And there are so many possibilities:
- Variable tech levels (you can only have a certain number of techs) or costly tech levels (more tech means less ships)
- Random elements (some tech or ship classes can be unavailable, random neutral minefields, random reinforcements)
- Progression systems (tech or ship classes unlocked through XP)
- Asymmetrical goals (e.g. defend a planet or LV for X minutes, move LV from A to B), asymmetrical assets (e.g. one side deploying defense sats)
- Costly recon (lose ships or tech to see which ships your opponent will field during pregame setup)

This would make for a much shorter and more enjoyable tactical experience for those of us that play SotS II primarily for the combat.

Thank you very much for your time,

Best wishes,
Daniel

Gopblin

Re: MP skirmishes as a separate game?

Post by Gopblin » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:27 pm

Legacy bump

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:43 pm

Development for this game is over. There will be no further work done on it or use of its assets for Kerberos projects.

If you want to see more SOTS 4x stuff, then support their indy efforts (currently focused on The Pit boardgame) to raise funds and awareness of the company and set up for a return to space 4x games.
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:22 pm

The game the OP (years ago) is suggesting is more similar to Nexus: the Jupiter incident than SOTS2 to be honest.

An option would be to go find the old demo for imperium galactica 3 (which turned into Nexus), that could be worthwhile.
Sword of the Stars 2 : Project Hiver Modder
Creator of the Work-In-Progress Seimei Visual Novel series.
My dream game: Combination of Sword of the Stars 2, Angels Fall First, Conquest: Frontier Wars and Warzone 2100.

Return to “Suggestions”