Zuul Plague a la Prime

A lot of gamers means a lot of opinions - share and discuss them here.

Moderator: Erinys

Itharus

Re: Zuul Plague a la Prime

Post by Itharus » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:46 pm

Mecron wrote:Ith I totally understand but you also have to understand the amount of crap and snobbery we got, especially from the media, for those "small touches" being confusing, or weird or not like someone else is doing. If you want to talk about what stifles gaming sometimes you have to look at which voices are the loudest.

Well, you can't fix stupid; and stupid fairly well describes the media!

Also, totally not trying to sound whiny or complaining or anything. I was actually just trying to convey my appreciation of the old mechanic and send out a feeler to see if it was possibly on the back burner anywhere :)
Go Hiver or go home!

Nall White

Post by Nall White » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:37 pm

Mecron wrote:or not like someone else is doing.

This really bugs me. Why would anyone by a game that is the same as another. Whey even waste your money?
I'm NOT a cat!

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:28 pm

What I don't understand is why you people put up with it :P

Itharus

Post by Itharus » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:56 pm

Because it's like this: sure, we can vote with our wallets and not buy stuff - but then we get nothin'. The developers will catch on right quick, but the idiotic publishers won't... and they will take forever to start realizing their mistake. Our patience for new stuff will probably wear thin before they realize their mistake and start funding better games. The instant we actually buy something - the publishers go YAY! and make more of the same slop, and we've just reset the clock.

We pretty much just settle for more crappy mediocre games and hope that some awesome developer will manage to break through the corporate publishing hell and give us what we really want. Every now and then it works.

I'm not defending our weakness, but there it is, lol.
Go Hiver or go home!

Terramort

Post by Terramort » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:15 pm

Mecron wrote:Ith I totally understand but you also have to understand the amount of crap and snobbery we got, especially from the media, for those "small touches" being confusing, or weird or not like someone else is doing. If you want to talk about what stifles gaming sometimes you have to look at which voices are the loudest.

Ummm. If your publisher wanted the game to look good in the media, maybe SotS II should have been released now (as in, not before all the bugfixing and patching)... as it is, I highly doubt any of the media sources that have covered your game would have given a lower review because the Alien-like species infected your planet with an Alien-like plague. They were a little too focused on how the game wasn't ready to be released yet, last time I checked. Maybe some examples of where the "media" didn't like the additional touches?

Granted, I would much rather see the game reach a point of playability (AI doesn't kill itself, and clicking any button anywhere on the GUI doesn't freeze for 2 seconds everytime) then having an old feature implemented, but it still added a lot of flavor to the game, and honestly one of the big reasons I loved Prime so much was the ability to roleplay my galaxy conquering.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:49 am

Umm was talking about prime...

ForceUser

Post by ForceUser » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:37 am

Actually Terramort one of the PROFESSIONAL reviews on metacritic (horrible horrible site that) said sots2 was TOO IN DEAPTH.

I wish I was kidding.
Perspective Man: Much like common sense, it's so rare it's a gorram superpower.
Agent.nihilist wrote:Ooo! Whats the gesture for ramming!?
Korgan wrote:probably a pelvic thrust
Mecron wrote:oy that is wrong at so many levels...well done! :P

olmio

Post by olmio » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:35 am

hmm personally i love random shit, and zuul infestation was very random and adorable. And yes, it reminded me of aliens:P. I wish i could zuul infest planets with the Liir-zuul-faction. MOHAAHAHA!

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:57 am

Why is metacritic horrible? SotS1 has a -/94% score on metacritic... SotS2 has 65%/74%, which seems appropriate since the game is still pretty much in beta.

Resok wrote:In SOTS1 the Zuul plague was only a minor gameplay effect anyway... and would only result in any kind of significant damage on a *very* small population colony.

I disagree. It's much more than "flavor". It's a significant part of the Zuul strategy that allows them to terraform high CH enemy worlds. Wraith Abductors are mostly built with that purpose in mind.

ForceUser

Post by ForceUser » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:43 am

BlueTemplar wrote:Why is metacritic horrible? SotS1 has a -/94% score on metacritic... SotS2 has 65%/74%, which seems appropriate since the game is still pretty much in beta.

Resok wrote:In SOTS1 the Zuul plague was only a minor gameplay effect anyway... and would only result in any kind of significant damage on a *very* small population colony.

I disagree. It's much more than "flavor". It's a significant part of the Zuul strategy that allows them to terraform high CH enemy worlds. Wraith Abductors are mostly built with that purpose in mind.

A site that allows 'professional' reviewers to say things like it's too in depth on a game that's main focus is to be an in depth game mirrors exactly what is wrong with the gaming community as a whole. A gaming community that only wants regurgitated sameness year after year, where the best selling games is just minor reskinned FPS games with slight gfx improvements with identical story lines and 10h game play if you run through the campaign, twice. These people are the ones writing both user reviews and 'professional' reviews on metacritic and it shows. That is why the site is bad and why anyone ever referencing it as a basis for saying if a game is good or not is a fool. It is highly frustrating because they are the reason why we can't have nice things :(

Actually case in point, saying the game is in beta. There is absolutely zero basis for syaing that but you say it because that is what people say on those sites so it has to be true. The game has been released for over 2 years, it has an expantion, it is completely playable from beginning to end, all major and minor elements are in game and functioning. there are no outstanding features that still need to be implemented. What basis is there at all to call sots2 a beta?

Balancing, improving the completely functional AI, performance tweaks and minor bug fixes are NORMAL full released game stuff and does not make a game a beta.

Gah :yell:

"By giving us the opinions of the uneducated, journalism keeps us in touch with the ignorance of the community." - Oscar Wilde

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:45 am

ForceUser wrote:A site that allows 'professional' reviewers to say things like it's too in depth on a game that's main focus is to be an in depth game mirrors exactly what is wrong with the gaming community as a whole.

Metacritic doesn't allow anything. It just gathers the reviews. I doubt it's paying any attention on what is said on those reviews, only if the review site in general is considered to be "professional" by the community.

A gaming community that only wants regurgitated sameness year after year, where the best selling games is just minor reskinned FPS games with slight gfx improvements with identical story lines and 10h game play if you run through the campaign, twice. These people are the ones writing both user reviews and 'professional' reviews on metacritic and it shows. That is why the site is bad and why anyone ever referencing it as a basis for saying if a game is good or not is a fool. It is highly frustrating because they are the reason why we can't have nice things :(

Let's look at the games that have >90% on both professional and user reviews :

Half-Life 2
The Orange Box
Half-Life
Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
Civilization II
Grim Fandango
Homeworld
Team Fortress 2
System Shock 2
Rome: Total War
Thief: The Dark Project
Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
Unreal Tournament
Baldur's Gate
The Longest Journey
The Operative: No One Lives Forever
Planescape: Torment
The Sims 2
Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory
Portal
Deus Ex
Half-Life 2: Episode Two
Command & Conquer: Red Alert

Not a single one of those games follows your description! (Well, maybe Half-Life 2: Episode Two, but it is supposed to be an expansion pack to Half-Life 2...)

Now, it is a shame that metacritic won't show games that didn't have 4 professional reviews (like Complete SotS1), nor allows you to order following user reviews.

Actually case in point, saying the game is in beta. There is absolutely zero basis for syaing that but you say it because that is what people say on those sites so it has to be true. The game has been released for over 2 years, it has an expantion, it is completely playable from beginning to end, all major and minor elements are in game and functioning. there are no outstanding features that still need to be implemented. What basis is there at all to call sots2 a beta?

Balancing, improving the completely functional AI, performance tweaks and minor bug fixes are NORMAL full released game stuff and does not make a game a beta.

First, that's my personal opinion, and I actually haven't read any reviews saying that, probably because they rarely have the time and the patience for an in-depth study of the game mechanics.
Second, are you playing the same game as me? Especially the "all major and minor elements are in game and functioning. there are no outstanding features that still need to be implemented" (diplomacy?), "completely functional AI" (see the recent report about the AI sending damaged ships to fight, while combat ships stay behind), "minor bug fixes" (AI not debt-suiciding anymore is not a minor bug fix). Have you read the tech support forum lately?
A little reminder of what constitutes a beta (emphasis mine) :
Beta, named after the second letter of the Greek alphabet, is the software development phase following alpha. It generally begins when the software is feature complete. Software in the beta phase will generally have many more bugs in it than completed software, as well as speed/performance issues and may still cause crashes or data loss. The focus of beta testing is reducing impacts to users, often incorporating usability testing.

ForceUser

Post by ForceUser » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:36 pm

From the same source as you pulled the beta quote (heres a hint, it comes AFTER beta):
Support

During its supported lifetime, software is sometimes subjected to service releases, or service packs, sometimes also called "interim releases". For example, Microsoft released three major service packs for the 32-bit editions of Windows XP and two service packs for the 64-bit editions. Such service releases contain a collection of updates, fixes and enhancements, delivered in the form of a single installable package. They may also implement new features. Some software is released with the expectation of regular support. Classes of software that generally involve protracted support as the norm include anti-virus suites and massively multiplayer online games. A good example of a game that utilizes this process is Minecraft, an Indie Game developed by Mojang, which features regular "updates" featuring new content and bug fixes.

Did you know Baulders Gate 2 had over a THOUSAND bugs after it stopped being supported? Must mean it's still in beta amirite.

The rest, well I figured I've derailed this topic enough so I PM'ed you a reply.

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:15 am

Yes, please, if we could get back to the discussion about whether Zuul Plague is just flavor or a core part of the Zuul strategy?

Return to “Suggestions”