Default Designs Suggestions

A lot of gamers means a lot of opinions - share and discuss them here.

Moderator: Erinys

Hawawaa

Default Designs Suggestions

Post by Hawawaa » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:22 am

I think this was brought up long ago but I'll kick it up again. For default starting ship designs the engine section should default to camel module. All races should default to this and all command sections should never be packin an auxiliary fission module early on. This would cut down on early redesigning for human players and give ai extra strategic range to work with. (even if races start with 10 techs its rare you need aux modules)

I have also noticed ai likes to slap on aux fission modules for early game designs. They should stick to camels. (thinkin about tarkas and more importantly zuul ai which would really give them a hand)

Also add a few more default designs to new games- marine ship "Marine", salvage ship "Support or Salvage", assault shuttle ship "Assault" and drone ship "Drone or Swarm".

My only nit pick is with "Scout" and change it to "Survey". When i get my scout riders I think they are better to labeled "Scout".

Aranador

Re: Default Designs Suggestions

Post by Aranador » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:10 am

I pretty much scrap every last starting ship, and remake the whole lot as a turn 1 activity. Would be lovely to save off my designs, and be able to reload them in the next game. For what it is worth though, as Morrigi, I usually have 2 starter designs that use fission plants, so while I agree camels are often more useful, I cant agree it being 100pct the case.

Zweistein

Post by Zweistein » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:01 pm

Id also suggest survey fleets start with standard command - extended range - [insert drive here] because by the time you need cruisers for war, you will have probably designed them by yourself and this way you get even more range which is exactly what you need when surveying at the beginning of the game.
We will sing their nightmares to them.

Starknight

Post by Starknight » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:37 pm

Hivers can't put Camel modules on the engine section. (We have long-range fusion sections for that instead.) Otherwise I think this is a reasonable idea.
My Morrigi fleet-speed calculator for SotS Prime
The Holy Lands - Hivers vs. the infidel Liir (and others)
Currently working on getting my board game Dragon Raiders into final condition before going to Kickstarter...

Resok
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Resok » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:29 pm

Where as I agree on the topic of Camel modules if they're available for scout ships - I heavily disagree that Standard Command should be used on 'scout' ships. Supply ships, yes - that's my general policy but scout ships can and will see combat on a vast majority of maps unless you play with randoms at 0%. My turn one scouts also serve as early skirmish ships so hammerhead is ideal for them in every case.

Unfortunately the many of the section options (with the exception IMHO of camel modules if available) aren't exactly universal to everyone involved - which makes this kind of thing tricky.
- Resok

Zweistein

Post by Zweistein » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:49 am

The third alternative is you get to design your ships before you enter the galactic screen or start with none and 5-10 mil savings.
We will sing their nightmares to them.

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:19 pm

start with none and 5-10 mil savings

Add _no free designs on the first turn_ to that : the problem with this system is that, if you want to economize money (and IO), you'll be compelled to make all the possible designs you MIGHT need, which is aggravated even more by the fact that you can retrofit ships, so you're also compelled to make all the possible designs that you might retrofit into something else.

The end result is that the first turn you spend an hour making 50+ designs... most of which you will probably not even use!

Resok
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Resok » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:32 pm

I can't imagine you'd actually need 50+ designs on turn one.

Generally I make a missile focused armor ship and either an energy or ballistic brawler depending on my race, a drone boat, assault shuttle ship, boarding ship, new CnC if the old one was non-ideal, new scout ship if the old one didn't have full camel modules, new supply ship if the default didn't have camel modules, repair and salvage ship, and a cheap no-armor Colonizer (with camel module).

10 designs isn't really *that* exhaustive for turn 1.
- Resok

Aranador

Post by Aranador » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:31 am

Well - I only make a single design with the intention that it will be retrofit later when the right tech appears. Pointless having dozens of waiters because I know I will research a new armour tech that I will want in service (or shield modules) and that means the retrofit path is forever broken.

But I do plan ahead for that initial period, and I know there will be one tech I want to add it my active early fleets prior to needing a full redesign to incorporate techs with no upgrade path from turn 1 tech.

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:11 am

Actually, I would have liked sometimes either a sort of 'default designs" designer accessible before starting the game, or even in some form of menu so you could pre-load a design file right after choosing your race. Something that admitedly woulnèt work so well with games where players have more than the usual starter tech, but then again if you still keep the free first turn design people could still make those custom designs using the unlocked techs on their first turn while their starter ships on their end would still very much nonetheless reflect their default designs prefferences.

So if someone want their default combat ship to be a missile ship or a drone carrier, they could do so(unless it -has- to be an armor cruiser in which case they still would have the freedom of what weapons to outfit it with) and have them already present at game start within their starting fleet.

On the other hand, this is said without knowing if the interface and engine would support it. With how finicky the game can be at times, something tell me it's perhaps something even best not attempted for fear of breaking something trying to modify the start menus interface to make room for something like this.

ForceUser

Post by ForceUser » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:56 pm

Ludovsky wrote:On the other hand, this is said without knowing if the interface and engine would support it. With how finicky the game can be at times, something tell me it's perhaps something even best not attempted for fear of breaking something trying to modify the start menus interface to make room for something like this.

This would be true for a mod but Kerberos has access to the actualy source code and thye did make the game after all. I think apart form a few slight issues if they had the time to work on it and implememnt it it would vcome out fine.

That said a change like that sounds like it might be outside the scope of their current availability to implement although the impact could potentially justify it. Up to them in the end :)
Perspective Man: Much like common sense, it's so rare it's a gorram superpower.
Agent.nihilist wrote:Ooo! Whats the gesture for ramming!?
Korgan wrote:probably a pelvic thrust
Mecron wrote:oy that is wrong at so many levels...well done! :P

Return to “Suggestions”