Whack-A-Mole Map

A lot of gamers means a lot of opinions - share and discuss them here.

Moderator: Erinys

Pavane

Whack-A-Mole Map

Post by Pavane » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:41 pm

I have only played The Heavens map a couple of times, but they both turned into a game of Whack-A-Mole. The centre stellar sphere appears to be empty, with all of the players starting in the surrounding ring. By the time I am able to make my way across one of the connecting stellar bridges into the centre, I find that most (if not all) centre systems have Swarm infestations. This wouldn't be so bad if they weren't spawning Swarm Queens all of the time and crossing into the outer ring. The computer AI doesn't seem to make it a priority to clear infestations in their own empires so I have to contend with Queens coming in from neighbours as well. There are 1 or 2 of my systems that have a swarm combat every turn, and I have four dedicated cruiser fleets on full-time defence relocating from destination to destination. I know that I will eventually overcome, but this is the most tedious map that I have ever played only because of the Swarms.

My suggestion is that when Swarms have infested more than 5% of the systems on a map that their spawning rate be decreased. It will make for a more enjoyable game, at least for me.
Stellar Union

zortlord

Re: Whack-A-Mole Map

Post by zortlord » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:09 pm

Please implement this.

EnigmaticDoctor

Post by EnigmaticDoctor » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:22 am

I understand your opinion and appreciate it.

I don't agree however, I feel that swarm were designed to become overwhelming, or at least an annoyance if left alone, or allowed to 'multiply', and the reducing the spawn rate would hamper their ability to do this. I would miss the 'annoyance' if it was altered too much.

I have played the heavens before the patch where A.I. engaged the swarm properly, and encountered swarm queen number 157 or so. This forced me to actively hunt down the swarm hives, and make sure that I was able to kill every queen that came on my sensors. (Even to clear the A.I. systems, but that was resolved with a patch).

I think that maybe a fix more faithful to how I interpret the 'spirit behind the swarm' would be making the A.I. more aggressive at removing local infestations. This way you don't have to venture into possibly hostile territory to remove the hive form your enemy's/Ally's back yard (As I have interpreted is a part of your problem).

As for the Swarm running rampant in unexplored space and sending queens out, this motivates you to explore and take hold of those systems as early as possible, rather than holding back to build up defences and so on. It progresses the game as all parties are forced to do this, and makes it more interesting.

I do conceit that the swarm can be a problem on larger maps, however I personally like this 'problem'

(In case my tone comes off wrong, I mean no ill will)
:mg: :pit: :sots1: :bob: :amoc: :any: :wave:

Resok
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Resok » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:25 pm

Yeah I agree with EnigmaticDoctor... I like fighting off swarm who have exponentially multiplied - it creates a significant threat for the galaxy to deal with which slows down expansion in a massive map with a lot of unexplored territory.

In harsh reality - Swarm problems are caused by empires not exploring rapidly enough to clean out the swarm from the empty systems.
- Resok

Pavane

Post by Pavane » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:59 pm

The Swarm concept is excellent, but on certain map configurations and with swarm-passive AI players it can make the game tedious. This is obviously subjective, and dissenting opinion is perfectly valid. In this last game I was bookended by two AI players on the outer ring, who immediately declared war on me. I had no access to one of the stellar bridges to the centre until I had defeated one of them. No other AI player had bothered to reach the centre before I did. Fighting 2-5 Swarm battles each turn (within and without the empire) for 50-100+ turns is repetitious and boring. I still think Swarms can be suitably characterful if moderately constrained past 5%-10% of the map's systems, but your mileage may vary.
Stellar Union

Return to “Suggestions”