When Empires Pass Away

A lot of gamers means a lot of opinions - share and discuss them here.

Moderator: Erinys

Pavane

When Empires Pass Away

Post by Pavane » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:57 pm

In my current game, Year 341, two AI empires have been destroyed. I was not at war with either and they at one time had larger empires than me. When the second bit the dust I loaded a Year 329 save to take a look by swapping places because both took me by surprise. It was in an active war with another AI empire, but had anti-matter dreadnoughts and 17 colonies. They were 5 million in the red though, even with the research slider all the way over at zero. They needed to scrap assets to bring their expenses around, but they had already gone into the rebellion death spiral with 11 worlds in revolt.

This is all very reasonable, but I question the game effect after the destruction of an empire. Their worlds are uninhabited and can be scooped up on a first come, first served basis. The infrastructure and biosphere remains intact, but the population is gone. What happened to all of the people? This is great for me, because I understand the situation and can promptly take advantage and snatch up the lion's share, but other AI empires take no heed at all (so there is a game balance issue as well).

My suggestion is that when a race is defeated, any remaining worlds become independent colonies. This makes more sense to me. The larger empire collapses, but the planets still carry on independently of one another as best they can. Destroy the assets (ships, defences, stations, etc.) to keep it simple. The remaining empires will have to deal with them as they would any other independent colony, and not just receive a fantastic freebie.
Stellar Union

WarpObscura

Re: When Empires Pass Away

Post by WarpObscura » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:03 am

Sounds interesting but I don't know if others would want it.

I say, if you want to take it up another notch, let them keep the assets too. Something like independent warlords or remnants trying to carry on the old glories.

Pavane

Post by Pavane » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:54 pm

I just had another AI empire go pop. I took a look and all but one of the AI empires are in dire economic straights. They were all lacking in trade, exacerbated by the bug that no longer allows AI to create provinces beyond the initial one. One of the AI empires had 25 colonies, yet was still going bankrupt. I guess that it is time to start a new game.
Last edited by Pavane on Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stellar Union

ScoSteSal118

Post by ScoSteSal118 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:44 am

I like the points made, and the independent colonies thing both makes sense to me and doesn't seem to me to have any potentially-deleterious effects on the game.

Admittedly, that's just my personal opinion, so take that as a vote for the proposal (unless someone comes up with a reason this would hurt gameplay or be problematic to add to the game, in which case I would withdraw my vote)

Nall White

Post by Nall White » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:08 am

Hmmmm...what if the worldls didn't do totally indi the empire breaks up into X amount of smaller empires. :twisted:
I'm NOT a cat!

Ryat

Post by Ryat » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:00 am

Pavane wrote:I just had another AI empire go pop. I took a look and all buy one of the AI empires all in dire economic straights. They were all lacking in trade, exacerbated by the bug that no longer allows AI to create provinces beyond the initial one. One of the AI empires had 25 colonies, yet was still going bankrupt. I guess that it is time to start a new game.

Especially because the new update really helps the AI. A lot.
Sins of Solar Empire: Distant Stars http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/335474

Pavane

Post by Pavane » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:03 pm

Ryat wrote:
Pavane wrote:I just had another AI empire go pop. I took a look and all buy one of the AI empires all in dire economic straights. They were all lacking in trade, exacerbated by the bug that no longer allows AI to create provinces beyond the initial one. One of the AI empires had 25 colonies, yet was still going bankrupt. I guess that it is time to start a new game.

Especially because the new update really helps the AI. A lot.

Yes, I just read the patch notes. I am looking forward to testing it out.
Stellar Union

Pavane

Post by Pavane » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:10 pm

Nall White wrote:Hmmmm...what if the worldls didn't do totally indi the empire breaks up into X amount of smaller empires. :twisted:

In my ideal game a broken empire would become a combination of independent worlds, independent systems and small multi-system AI empires. Each would retain their assets and continue to produce new ones using a defensive AI discipline. I realise that my initial suggestion is not a high priority, and surprisingly some players object to it, so I wanted to keep it as simple to implement as possible.
Stellar Union

Nall White

Post by Nall White » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:58 pm

Pavane wrote:
Nall White wrote:Hmmmm...what if the worldls didn't do totally indi the empire breaks up into X amount of smaller empires. :twisted:

In my ideal game a broken empire would become a combination of independent worlds, independent systems and small multi-system AI empires. Each would retain their assets and continue to produce new ones using a defensive AI discipline. I realise that my initial suggestion is not a high priority, and surprisingly some players object to it, so I wanted to keep it as simple to implement as possible.

From the manual, rebellions in effect divide up into factions and research and build ships. So, the ground work is there. Kerb just needs the time to get it to work.
I'm NOT a cat!

EnigmaticDoctor

Post by EnigmaticDoctor » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:46 am

I agree that the AI planets shouldn't suddenly loose their population (if this is happening). Sounds cool to have a lot of small empires popping up all over out of some independant soup. But I think that they might have financial difficulties if they remain small, especially late game if they try to make high end fleets based on their previous Empires research.

Should happen: Imperial Worlds all become Indy on Collapse.

Cool to happen: Indy worlds created, and maybe some remain loyal to whomever, and a faction or a few emerge and try expanding ect.

Wet Dream: When the Empire collaspses for whatever reason, provinces split off into independant factions, with agend'as randomly assigned on birth, like;

-Find a new empire to keep us safe (make diplomatic contact with a close by 'major empire' to offer being incorporated)
-Be independant! Be Happy! Be Fruitful!
-Reform the Empire! Bring the others in line! Or maybe this is just 'Form our Empire'
-Expand Peacefully.
-Expand not-so-peacefully.

This could result in something like the Hiver Interrogum (excuse my spelling). Which would be kind of cool to see. But probably wouldn't be seen all that much. What would be Uber Awsomesause would be if you could use some kind of stimulus to have some cold war action by funding one of the sides of this Interrogum.

I am aware that I have taken this too far.
:mg: :pit: :sots1: :bob: :amoc: :any: :wave:

ForceUser

Post by ForceUser » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:57 am

This was the basis for some of the scenarios in prime and we will prolly see a return of it with scenarios. I think that with the current limitation on stuff they are able/alowed to implement that option 1 is probably the most likely to be implemented if at all.
Perspective Man: Much like common sense, it's so rare it's a gorram superpower.
Agent.nihilist wrote:Ooo! Whats the gesture for ramming!?
Korgan wrote:probably a pelvic thrust
Mecron wrote:oy that is wrong at so many levels...well done! :P

Return to “Suggestions”