Retreat Option(Start and auto-resolve)

A lot of gamers means a lot of opinions - share and discuss them here.

Moderator: Erinys

Ludovsky

Retreat Option(Start and auto-resolve)

Post by Ludovsky » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:34 am

I'm not sure if that has been suggested already, but I think it would be nice if there was an option to handle auto-resolve retreat. That is either through an option in addition to peaceful or hostile resolution, where the ships automatically attempt to retreat at the start of auto-resolution... or instead, actually add a button within the auto-resolution screen itself such that your ships can and will attempt to fight the enemy as usual... but if you see things going poorly for you, you can still click the "retreat" button to order your whole fleet to attempt to break contact and retreat back home. Of course, the later is probably harder than the former(that is,making it an auto-resolution option akin to "peaceful" or "hostie"), but I feel that either might be useful for sparing the logistics of manual combats at times for something as simple as retreating from the start, especially since both auto-resolution options can be a gamble at times making you wonder if you'll lose all your fleet especially with nooption to tell them "Okay, guys, you leave and you leave now" once you start a battle in either auto-resolution mode.

Aranador

Re: Retreat Option(Start and auto-resolve)

Post by Aranador » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:52 am

Plus one.

olmio

Post by olmio » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:35 am

+1

Lucian

Post by Lucian » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:18 am

Good idea, I have definitely wished that this option existed and it doesn't sound like it would be very hard to implement in terms of coding.

Chibiabos

Post by Chibiabos » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:46 pm

Absolutely ... plus, fix the danged retreat option. So tired of telling my fleet to retreat, only for the swarm to catch up, then my fleet decides 'Oh, there are enemies, let's stop retreating, turn to a side, slow way down and commit suicide. If we go too far in our aborted turn away from retreating, just spin in place until we die.'

shadowclasper

Post by shadowclasper » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:33 pm

Yeah, if the retreat option is hit, then it should turn off any the normal firing protocols for the ships. If the enemy slides into the firing range of their weapons? That's one thing. Target of opportunity and a retreating ship isn't going to say no to trying to fend off the enemy. But otherwise they shouldn't be swinging around, trying to bring guns to bare. Just keep falling back, taking potshots if they can, but otherwise running the fuck away.

Aranador

Post by Aranador » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:01 am

Actually what is happening is that your ship is trying to distance itself from an enemy, then run for the evac point. Except that the swarm is faster than your ships, gets ahead of your ships, prompting them to turn to evade and open the distance. Which of course can never work as the swarm will always keep up.

So - remember that run away is first and foremost run away from the enemy, then run to the evac. You might instead switch to neutral stance, and tell them to gun for the evac line yourself, if you are so inclined.

As to if the retreat order should be changed to something else? I don't have a particular opinion on the matter. However, the original suggestion here has nothing to do with the retreat stance, so this whole thing is a tangent to the thread.

Chibiabos

Post by Chibiabos » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:32 am

Aranador wrote:Actually what is happening is that your ship is trying to distance itself from an enemy, then run for the evac point. Except that the swarm is faster than your ships, gets ahead of your ships, prompting them to turn to evade and open the distance. Which of course can never work as the swarm will always keep up.

So - remember that run away is first and foremost run away from the enemy, then run to the evac. You might instead switch to neutral stance, and tell them to gun for the evac line yourself, if you are so inclined.

As to if the retreat order should be changed to something else? I don't have a particular opinion on the matter. However, the original suggestion here has nothing to do with the retreat stance, so this whole thing is a tangent to the thread.

No, the swarm doesn't get between me and the evac point before my ships abort the retreat. My ships turn and try to fight the moment they take one hit from behind. Liir have no 'evac point,' they just have to get a certain distance past the star's gravity well, and the shortest distance to get there a line directly away from the star which they follow until they take one hit from behind at which point they turn and fight futilely.

marshb

Post by marshb » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:57 pm

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but if you put your ships in neutral stance and then double click destination, your ships should break formation and travel as fast as possible to that location while ignoring all other considerations? Or is that feature only in prime?
Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.

Orison of Sonmi-451

Return to “Suggestions”