Default Game Start Settings and Import/Export Ships

A lot of gamers means a lot of opinions - share and discuss them here.

Moderator: Erinys

mar3usmc

Default Game Start Settings and Import/Export Ships

Post by mar3usmc » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:22 pm

This has been posted in some form or another a few times at least already. Being able to import/Export Ship designs and have my Default Game Settings (i.e. battle length, random events percentage, etc...) saved is HIGHLY desired. I just can't even get myself to start a new game anymore. It is a pet peeve of mine to repeat myself, in any way, shape, or form, and I believe there are many who are like myself. Thus, unless this feature is implemented one day I just can't see myself playing anymore. I just don't understand how such a feature could be overlooked, especially when considering multiplayer, in a game of this genre.

Please take a couple weeks and set this up. Something like this shouldn't take long as ship designs are already contained in save files. Just need to be able to import that piece of the save file into new games. Start game settings being saved is just common sense.

Mecron
Kerberos

Re: Default Game Start Settings and Import/Export Ships

Post by Mecron » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:37 pm

Unfortunately men have to eat for 2 weeks of work as well.

Sustaining work on an unfunded project requires measures like this...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ker ... d-pounders

...with your support we can continue to support sots2 long after the publisher has stopped funding it.

mar3usmc

Post by mar3usmc » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:24 pm

Understood, I had been under the assumption that SotS 2 was still being worked on considering periodic updates. Perhaps one day someone will come up with something.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:37 pm

Oh it is...we just updated a couple weeks ago...but its work that gets done after hours and on weekends by us. Solid blocks of time have to be bought and paid for by other projects at this point.

mar3usmc

Post by mar3usmc » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:28 pm

I was looking through some of the game configuration files, and was wondering if there is a specific file with the game default settings and possibly one with default ships. If so, and if you by chance just happen to remember the name and/or location of such files I would appreciate it. Your code and file layout is pretty easy to follow and pretty organized. :D

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:43 pm

actually the modding section is the best place to ask about that sort of thing. At this point their file knowledge exceeds my memory being a designer and all ;) Just be very careful not to introduce sections or weapons that are not 100% there at the start of every game.

Aranador

Post by Aranador » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:26 am

The only reference to default ships in the files is in the races files. All that is there is the set of starter design names and basic hull types. The game then uses internal AI to design ships that fit those types. So at the moment, the best you can do is force your empire to start off with fewer or no ship designs (and even then, you may get some, for example if you start with 10 techs, you probably have FTL economics, and will be given a police and freighter design)

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:27 am

For SOTS2 without a fairly extensive mod, all you can do is tell the game to make certain designs right off the bat.

Example: Having the Boarding Cruiser already pre-designed by the AI and buildable. You can also set the AI weapon design preference from Ballistics, Energy and so on. Won't go any further into it as this is the wrong area, but that's about it.
Sword of the Stars 2 : Project Hiver Modder
Creator of the Work-In-Progress Seimei Visual Novel series.
My dream game: Combination of Sword of the Stars 2, Angels Fall First, Conquest: Frontier Wars and Warzone 2100.

Return to “Suggestions”