Offload combat calculations to GPU

A lot of gamers means a lot of opinions - share and discuss them here.

Moderator: Erinys

zortlord

Offload combat calculations to GPU

Post by zortlord » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:07 pm

I know this may be more if a Sots3 recommendation, but I can tell you that in my section of the software industry, we are finding massive speed improvements in calculations by offloading some of the heftier calculations from the processor and to the GPU using Cuda and OpenCL o n the order of about 10000% speed improvement. Perhaps some parts of the Sots2 engine could take advantage of the GPU parallelization speed up slower parts of the game.

Scooby

Re: Offload combat calculations to GPU

Post by Scooby » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:29 pm

Cool stuff huh. What sorts of tasks are you using it for?
How to manage your Hacker
How to hack your Manager

zortlord

Post by zortlord » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:43 am

We use it to simulate really complex stuff. That's the best explanation I can give.

But GPUS are designed for calculations where you can do something identically hundreds of times (ie- raytracing...).

Perhaps weapon rounds (or their particles) could be offloaded. My GPU has oodles of pipes and the slight impact to framerate would be insignificant since they are usually restricted to CPU calculations already.

Space Voyager

Post by Space Voyager » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:12 am

Hmmm... This could be "abused" in autoresolve, especially if there would be no other load for GPU (like not showing the autoresolved battles). Well, sounds like it could be at least.
ErinysSolForce Intelligence has great difficulty penetrating Liir society to that depth, for obvious reasons. fibioLack of scuba gear?

zortlord

Post by zortlord » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:00 pm

I like to think if its usage as more, "yeah, let's have those combats with hundreds of thousands of particles".

Return to “Suggestions”