Some GUI suggestions

A lot of gamers means a lot of opinions - share and discuss them here.

Moderator: Erinys

cbone69

Some GUI suggestions

Post by cbone69 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:16 pm

Heya

Just fired up the game again after a year long break and I have to say it is much improved. The AI seems much better then it was last time I played. Big props to ddub and others on the team putting in long after hours after no doubt working on the new kerb game.

Noticed a few minor/major GUI annoyances with some suggestions to streamline them. im sure/hope that a bunch of these are on the to-do list somewhere.

1. No newsbox message telling me when terraforming is completed on a planet. This default sets the infrastructure development to 0 or some low value so the planet almost never gets fully developed unless I check the colony every few turns to turn the slider up. This can get very tedious.

2.It seems this time around morale plays a very big role in the games since last time I played. I made a bunch of provinces without defenses, systems in those provinces would get sniped off by random encounters/enemy fleets and next thing I know I had a full blown rebellion on my hands at almost every colony in my empire!

It would be usefull if there was some kind of galactic overlay or view mode (similar to trade view) that let you see morale at each colony at each system. As well as some kind of visual prompt on a system in galaxy view that indicates when a colony in that system has a morale shift. this lets a player quickly zoom in on that colony and check that morale events that are causing the shift. Average empire morale in the government screen obviously does not tell you much.

3. the little button that you press in the bottom left that opens the different galaxy views? it would be better if it was 6 little icons spaced out next to the news ticker.
that would make switching across the different views require 1 click instead of 2. same goes for isolating station types in the station manager.

4. trade view would show the total amount of trade income and pirate raid % at each system. would be nice.

5. an easier way to let fleets move together. if you want to launch a full scale invasion on an enemy world with multiple fleets, you need to take into account the different fleets endurance and engine speeds. this can make logistical planning a headache. you get around some of it I suppose by mixing in high supply ships with your fighting ships and then "swap" them at the destination, but it seems really gimmicky. you have to check how much endurance you need and swap in/out enough supply ships across all your fleets and ugh, its such a microfest.

It would so much easier if you could combine fleets into like a taskforce that shares supply and repair points with each other, much like fleets doing missions at a system tother share resources. you just drag and drop the fleets into a GUI box and those fleets move at the speed of the slowest ship in the group and they all share resources.

Adamfostas

Re: Some GUI suggestions

Post by Adamfostas » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:17 pm

I agree with all of these. On 3, the news ticker isn't massively useful, as you can't scroll through it and you have the message box anyway. Losing it entirely in exchange for having all the buttons immediately accessible would be great

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Pavane

Post by Pavane » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:57 pm

cbone69 wrote:3. the little button that you press in the bottom left that opens the different galaxy views? it would be better if it was 6 little icons spaced out next to the news ticker.
that would make switching across the different views require 1 click instead of 2. same goes for isolating station types in the station manager.

That is a nice suggestion, but the hotkeys make this a low priority for me. Pressing "1" switches to Normal view, "2" switches to Survey view, "3" switches to Province view, etc.
Stellar Union

Lucian

Post by Lucian » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:31 pm

4. trade view would show the total amount of trade income and pirate raid % at each system. would be nice.

I doubt we'll ever see it, but yeah I'd love this too.

silvaril
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by silvaril » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:06 pm

Heya

Adamfostas wrote:I agree with all of these. On 3, the news ticker isn't massively useful, as you can't scroll through it and you have the message box anyway. Losing it entirely in exchange for having all the buttons immediately accessible would be great

I can left click hold on the ticker to get it to scroll back and forth, same as in Prime...
silvaril wrote:Love is Love, God is God and I am still Living a Lifetime

Disclaimer:
The views of any individual may not necessarily represent those of "God"(tm)

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:23 pm

cbone69 wrote:2.It seems this time around morale plays a very big role in the games since last time I played. I made a bunch of provinces without defenses, systems in those provinces would get sniped off by random encounters/enemy fleets and next thing I know I had a full blown rebellion on my hands at almost every colony in my empire!

It would be usefull if there was some kind of galactic overlay or view mode (similar to trade view) that let you see morale at each colony at each system. As well as some kind of visual prompt on a system in galaxy view that indicates when a colony in that system has a morale shift. this lets a player quickly zoom in on that colony and check that morale events that are causing the shift. Average empire morale in the government screen obviously does not tell you much.

Use the population manager to check the morale of troublesome planets every turn (write down which those are). A planet manager like in SotS1 that would allow you to sort planets by morale would be probably easier to implement, and almost as good, if not better.

3. the little button that you press in the bottom left that opens the different galaxy views? it would be better if it was 6 little icons spaced out next to the news ticker.

Use keyboard shortcuts. And sots2qkeys!!!

Return to “Suggestions”