Map requests/suggestions

A lot of gamers means a lot of opinions - share and discuss them here.

Moderator: Erinys

zanzibar196
Note: Not A Moderator

Map requests/suggestions

Post by zanzibar196 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:55 am

I personally would like to see a 7 or 8 player version of stellar nursery, almach, jax, and the hollow sphere map... anyone else have any requests and/or ideas for kerberos? :)

Aranador

Re: Map requests/suggestions

Post by Aranador » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:59 am

I want more small maps with a strategic layout to them.

Of course - since it is possible to make your own maps (I have a half finished one) then this is really a question of helping yourself.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:20 pm

"I want more small maps with a strategic layout to them."

What does this actually mean?

Karu

Post by Karu » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:31 pm

A map for 4. Planar cross shaped with 9 systems "home" and a mid as sphere (16 systems?).

Sincerly

Aranador

Post by Aranador » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:33 am

Mecron wrote:"I want more small maps with a strategic layout to them."

What does this actually mean?

Well - the map I am making, for example, is basically a square. Each corner is a small cluster of stars, where the home worlds are. Then each side is a fairly long and thin line of stars with a fair amount of distance to cover. The strategic side of it is that attack pretty much has to come across one of those lines, or be a fleet consisting mostly of supply ships crossing the void in the middle. It encourages a 'fortification' mindset, where you attempt to establish your border fleet, and then attack into your opponent's border line. As opposed to pretty much leapfrogging a strong fleet just about anywhere.

Jax is an existing example of such a 'strategic' map, although perhaps it could do with having a little more distance to cover. Heavens is sort of there too, although it is a big big big map :P

It is obviously an artificial, unrealistic map, however the point was to provide this strategic limitation - essentially I have forced choke points in the game.

One of my favourite game set ups is an all human empires game - because that essentially 'builds in' this sort of choke point effect. Terrain becomes valuable for it's strategic mobility effect.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:03 am

Almost all maps have 'strategic' features you have described ;)

Aranador

Post by Aranador » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:22 am

Indeed, though 'wacky' maps can have an interesting strategic mechanic that is hard for a 'realistic' map to capture. Again, I cite Jax as an example.

Anyway - I can make my own maps to present these different spatial challenges.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:46 am

So what you are asking for is small maps where the "tricky" part is more obvious/goal orientated? Just making sure before I go at this ;)

Aranador

Post by Aranador » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:22 am

Hmm - goal orientated - yah that sounds about right. Perhaps goal as in strategic objective. So before you can have a shot at the enemy's home system, you would have to take and hold another small cluster in order to have the strategic range to pull off the assault.

I guess I feel that on many existing maps, the distance is such that high tech ships can pretty much get anywhere. Could be that I play the Morrigi mostly which might be the real issue.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:23 am

the other problem I find with very blatant goal maps is that people tend to give up once the other player seizes the "high ground".

Aranador

Post by Aranador » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:23 am

Fair call. Equally so once one player realises they cant win, their chance of accidentally disconnecting goes way up, irrespective of the map :P

But I was wanting to play such against the AI - more of a single player puzzle.

Bring on new maps of any type though - they've all got their pros and cons and variety is a spice for life :)

Karu

Post by Karu » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:14 am

Mecron wrote:the other problem I find with very blatant goal maps is that people tend to give up once the other player seizes the "high ground".

Depending on your playmates. But with random players surely an issue.
On the other hand SOTS2 has a asymetrical warfare, so a liir holding a forward postion is different from a Loa holding a key location.

Edges: small cluster to get to the clockwise/ counterclockwise neighbor.
Top, bottom, left & right: starting positions
mid: Systems formed in a ball (r > 10ly) while the rest of the systems is relativly planar ( + / - 5ly)
There would be no "high" ground and 3 ways of attack or beeing attacked.

\ | /
- + -
/ | \

Then again I like balanced maps where you have the option for a 2nd or 3rd route, but dislike to much alteration in vertical height.

To be honest I tried to make a map ... but i failed :(
*looking at mecron* Map creator? pretty pretty please :oops:

Sincerly

Return to “Suggestions”