AI: Allow supply attack with armors together

A lot of gamers means a lot of opinions - share and discuss them here.

Moderator: Erinys

Detech

AI: Allow supply attack with armors together

Post by Detech » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:39 am

Common AI battle mistake (as i see a situation) - split fleet into 2 (or 3) pieces. AI always split their fleet into "battle group" (armor, torpedo and so on), "support group" (command, supply) and (if present) "planet attack group" (shuttles carrier, biomissile ship) and attack separately.

So if equals fleets battle (9CR vs 9CR forexample), player's 9CR fighting against 3 or 4 "battle group" CR, while "support group" CR do not participate in the battle. And "support group" attack right after "battle group" was been destroyed.

So while AI have equal fleet, they always fight against a superior in number group and lose.

I understand why AI take care about "command ship" or "colonization transport", but "supply"? Most supply ships same or more tenacious as armor, but have lesser firepower, so they mostly not a prime target and i think AI must not care about supply. This action decrease its firepower and chance to win.

I think AI will show us better result if it send its "support ships" (not command) with battle group in "stand off mode" with missile as prime weapon.

Mecron
Kerberos

Re: AI: Allow supply attack with armors together

Post by Mecron » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:45 am

yes except for the fact that if you search topics far enough back you will see people suggesting the AI not bring its support ships into battle where they are easily destroyed ;) Sometimes it is hard to find the middle ground every thinks is a good idea.

Karu

Post by Karu » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:19 am

Mecron wrote:yes except for the fact that if you search topics far enough back you will see people suggesting the AI not bring its support ships into battle where they are easily destroyed ;) Sometimes it is hard to find the middle ground every thinks is a good idea.

If i remember corretly even Loa have this behaviour - but they don't mind getting the CnC destroyed as long as there are enough cubes.

Wouldn't a supply ship design with missiles+PD that stays at maximum missile range solve the problem? Same for the CnC.
Would be the best of the two worlds.
And the AI should try to save the CnC instead of suiciding it in as soon as the combat part of the fleet dies.

Sincerly

Nall White

Post by Nall White » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:57 pm

Karu wrote:
Mecron wrote:yes except for the fact that if you search topics far enough back you will see people suggesting the AI not bring its support ships into battle where they are easily destroyed ;) Sometimes it is hard to find the middle ground every thinks is a good idea.

If i remember corretly even Loa have this behaviour - but they don't mind getting the CnC destroyed as long as there are enough cubes.

Wouldn't a supply ship design with missiles+PD that stays at maximum missile range solve the problem? Same for the CnC.
Would be the best of the two worlds.
And the AI should try to save the CnC instead of suiciding it in as soon as the combat part of the fleet dies.

Sincerly

This is what I do.
I'm NOT a cat!

Resok
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Resok » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:51 pm

I think part of their CnC/Supply ship behavior issue more boils down to they currently do not react to enemy forces moving in to strike their support ships. The CnC/Supply ships keep on marching onward on their path while in normal speed with little concern to avoid faster enemy attack ships closing in on them. In this case it can easily trivialize encounters with superior enemy forces as their attempt at keeping their CnC/Support ships safe really has just made them more vulnerable as you can split off a small handful of ships or even one or two boarding pod ships to capture the CnC and end the assault quite rapidly.

Not saying this same behavior doesn't happen all of the time in MP matches that I play all the time also - but at least the losses I sustain for 'suicide rushing' the enemy CnC are greater than what I generally sustain against the AI. This is in part to players either positioning their main forces in between my forces and their CnC, or simply immediately run away at maximum engine burn to make chasing the CnC ship time prohibitive for default 5 minute combats.

Clearly the answer is not simple, as the player behavior to avoid losing their CnC is both nuanced and dynamic - not easy things to replicate with AI behavior.
- Resok

Return to “Suggestions”