Doomsayer

Re: RACE: HUMAN

Post by Naja » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:00 pm

Much thanks for the info.

Tarrak

Post by Tarrak » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:31 pm

Erinys wrote:
Tarrak wrote:Anyway, that was some digression. I really wanted to know about the Utilitarians and their approach to SolForce after contact with the Zuul. Are they supportive in regards to curbing the Zuul (and the various dangerous 'random encounter') or do they steadfastly hold onto pacifism in the face of ripping?

The Utilitarians have not changed their core ethic and still do not regard military service as a morally acceptable way of life. Former Utilitarians who take an active role in Sol Force are barred from attending services in uniform and often have difficult relations with their families and former communities; for this reason they are called "Broken", as their actions are believed to have severed them from the Divine and the teachings of the faith.

The current Director is no less a Broken Man than someone who takes up a wrench or a spanner in the Engineering Corps. The only acceptable services associated with Sol Force are those that provide humanitarian aid; Utilitarians have built a network of sanctuaries which are open to all people and races on every charter world, and this same network extends deep into the Independent colonies and even the Morrigi Confederation. Sanctuaries of the Three Arrows are also often found in the alien habitat sections of star cities built by Hiver, Tarka and Liir.

--Arinn

Interesting. I like the concept of them spreading to other races, if not directly getting great support from them. I guess the next questin to this would be: How do they interact with the Preser Zull and how do the Prester Zuul themselves feel about the Utilitarians. Somehow I get the feeling that among them we would find a population with the potential to be very interested.
Every time you use 'fluff' for lore a Kerberos developer dies. And they are already an endangered species.

Mazrix

Post by Mazrix » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:23 am

This has been in my mind for a bit, but it might be a bit spoilery for those who haven't read Deacon's Tale yet, so I'll hide the text

Most humans at least back in 2438 still didn't know that the Hivers hadn't always been a unified race, and thought that the attack in 2408 was by the Hiver imperium instead of a renegade princess. Are there any conspiracy theories floating around civilians about how the Hiver war was for the most part a slaughter of innocents?
What is the usual hiver reaction to a human explaining the reason they celebrate Remembrance day?

Kaan'Ish

Post by Kaan'Ish » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:24 pm

Erinys wrote:
Avalon was not a Neo-Catholic community.

--Arinn

Ah, right. Thanks for the information. I'd assumed that the focus on the slain congregation implied a fully neo-catholic colony. Faulty method on my part :oops:

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:03 pm

Kaan'Ish wrote:
Erinys wrote:
Avalon was not a Neo-Catholic community.

--Arinn

Ah, right. Thanks for the information. I'd assumed that the focus on the slain congregation implied a fully neo-catholic colony. Faulty method on my part :oops:

S'all right. It's an understandable mistake, after Ko'Grappa. But sometimes a Zuul just gets hungry.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:05 pm

Tarrak wrote: I guess the next questin to this would be: How do they interact with the Preser Zull and how do the Prester Zuul themselves feel about the Utilitarians. Somehow I get the feeling that among them we would find a population with the potential to be very interested.

Prester Zuul find the Sanctuaries attractive, not least because they can enter and leave without being physically attacked. In general there are some Prester sects who have beliefs similar, although their antecedents are not human.

--Arinn

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:09 pm

Mazrix wrote:Are there any conspiracy theories floating around civilians about how the Hiver war was for the most part a slaughter of innocents?
What is the usual hiver reaction to a human explaining the reason they celebrate Remembrance day?

Relations between the Hiver Imperium and humankind have been increasingly chilly since the Via Damasco incident. In general, Hivers are now aware of the cause of the first Hiver War. Some of them curse Obsidian Crown and her clan; some of them blame the Queen for not dealing decisively with the rogue princess earlier. In either case, however, there is no negative reaction to a human holiday to remember their dead; it is the sort of thing which Hivers deeply understand, and such events are sacred to their people. Funerals are never interrupted or violated, except by the lowest and most abominable sorts of people.

--Arinn

Naja
Doomsayer

Post by Naja » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:48 am

On a different note, I'm really digging the Edward MacKenzie avatar. Definitely not someone you want to cross in a dark alley.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:00 am

No, not someone you'd want to cross anywhere, really.

--Arinn

Naja
Doomsayer

Post by Naja » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:03 am

MacKenzie is like one of those Chuck Norris-type tough guy figures whose over-the-top toughness is the source of humor. Does SolForce have a Norris-type figure, MacKenzie or otherwise?

Tarrak

Post by Tarrak » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:22 am

Naja wrote:On a different note, I'm really digging the Edward MacKenzie avatar. Definitely not someone you want to cross in a dark alley.

Which one is he?
Every time you use 'fluff' for lore a Kerberos developer dies. And they are already an endangered species.

Naja
Doomsayer

Post by Naja » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:25 am

That Schmuck

Post by That Schmuck » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:35 am

Sorta spoilerish for The Deacon's Tale so I'll try to hide this.

Matching the face to the name, it's a lot clearer now why Cai Rui was so terrified talking to MacKenzie... aside from implied assassination if he were to be too problematic. Unless I'm terribly misremembering parts of the book. Hell, I'd be scared of making Chuck Norris jokes about him even after he's dead!

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:58 am

Yes. MacKenzie was not just a survivor of the famous prison camp at Ke'Trath--he led the joint insurrection of Human, Hiver and Tarka prisoners that liberated the camp from within. He is known to have killed Hiver warriors in unarmed combat, and most of the higher ranking officers in Intelligence also knew that he had been romantically linked to Ashilde Falke before her death in 2436.

His reputation as the Ultimate Killer Ape was well-deserved, according to his service record, and lingered even after his death. Nonetheless, the few who knew him well said that he was also a gifted chef, that he loved gardening, that he cared deeply for civilians of all races, that he was well liked by animals...

...and that he would go to hell and back for his friends.

--Arinn

Tarrak

Post by Tarrak » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:26 pm

Heh, assumed as much, he really is the toughest MF in the Human lineup. But aside from good intentions the path to hell is most paved by assumptions, so I wanted to be certain.

So he has killed Hiver Warriors in unarmed combat. Damn, that like beating an armoured bear that has swords, hands and an intelligence equal to yourself... No wonder people are scared of him. With that in mind I assume he would be able to beat a Changed Male Tarka too. That has to be a little disconcerting for them, given their relative dismissiveness of Human martial arts. Or is he more of a wrestler type?

Return to “The Lore”