RACE: HIVER

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

Starne

Re: RACE: HIVER

Post by Starne » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:04 pm

Whether the Horde Zuul use the SFS Leviathan for a false-flag attack on the Hivers, or just Zuulify it(Read: Bolt a bunch of spikes and guns on it, paint a few skulls on the hull) and go on a good, old-fashioned rampage does'nt really matter. Either way, the Hivers will be none too pleased with Sol Force.

Imagine a terrorist group (somehow)manages to steal a bunch of military equipment from the US, and uses it to rampage through Canada. Of course most of the blame falls on the heads of the terrorists, but a significant amount of the blame would fall on the US for letting the weapons fall into terrorist hands in the first place. Granted this is'nt the best example(for any number of reasons) but I think it gets the point across.

And stealing Sol Force's shiny new super ship and using it to go on an epic rampage for the history books certainly seems Zuuly to me. Especially our new and more organized Zuul. Remember that these are'nt your classic slavers cruising the stars in barely space-worthy scrapheaps. The Zuul are now organized, they have more effective leadership, they have learned alot of lessons since they made their debut, and most importantly(especially for them), their gods are now literally on their side.

Sorry, that was kind of went off-topic there.

Hiver related question: How different would two Hiver workers who have the same mother, but different fathers be in terms of appearance and personality? What about the opposite, two Hiver workers with the same father, but different mothers?

nighthaunt

Post by nighthaunt » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:21 pm

Isn't it about 60-70% range of genetic material for each Hiver comes from the Father?
The collected forum saying of the Prophet - the Mecronomicon

Allattar wrote:The princes grow worried and the princesses stir with irritation. They feel you either lack gravitas or are just plain insane. Might we suggest you stop before they rebel?

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:56 pm

Starne wrote:Whether the Horde Zuul use the SFS Leviathan for a false-flag attack on the Hivers, or just Zuulify it(Read: Bolt a bunch of spikes and guns on it, paint a few skulls on the hull) and go on a good, old-fashioned rampage does'nt really matter. Either way, the Hivers will be none too pleased with Sol Force.

Imagine a terrorist group (somehow)manages to steal a bunch of military equipment from the US, and uses it to rampage through Canada. Of course most of the blame falls on the heads of the terrorists, but a significant amount of the blame would fall on the US for letting the weapons fall into terrorist hands in the first place. Granted this is'nt the best example(for any number of reasons) but I think it gets the point across.

I think stealing an entire aircraft carrier including aircraft and munitions would be a bit more fitting.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:33 pm

Starne wrote:Whether the Horde Zuul use the SFS Leviathan for a false-flag attack on the Hivers, or just Zuulify it(Read: Bolt a bunch of spikes and guns on it, paint a few skulls on the hull) and go on a good, old-fashioned rampage does'nt really matter. Either way, the Hivers will be none too pleased with Sol Force.

They will do neither. The Leviathan is not the Horde's property. Only the Siren can make them scream AND obey.

Hiver related question: How different would two Hiver workers who have the same mother, but different fathers be in terms of appearance and personality? What about the opposite, two Hiver workers with the same father, but different mothers?

Personality is individual to the Hiver and has nothing directly to do with genetics--they are sentients like you or me. In terms of appearance of other important biological features, the father's contribution is extremely important. The difference between mothers would be felt more in clan-culture than in appearance, but nurture makes an enormous physical difference in Hivers, as many aspects of gene expression are determined in the first six years by external factors like exposure to heat and cold, exercise, diet and sleep cycle.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

vaccum_pony

Post by vaccum_pony » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:48 pm

I so hope that the Horde stealing and using other races ships is actually a game mechanic. And not simply in a combat, but as Erinys implies. I imagine it would be a fun means to balance the Horde against the diplomacy options of the other races.
- - - -

Shed not a tear for humanity, go fetch my stars.

Vaccum Pony

Starne

Post by Starne » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:21 pm

Thank you Erinys.

So, the SFS Leviathan was'nt 'just' Zuuljacked, it's crew has been dominated by the Siren. That's far, far worse.

Please forgive that misconception of mine about Hiver personalities, in hindsight, it was a little stupid of me.

If you don't mind, a few more Hiver questions:

How would a princess, who for whatever reason, opted to live in space (On a station, an asteroid base, or maybe even a ship) be perceived by her peers? If she was'nt causing trouble, would she merely be seen as eccentric, or would she still be treated with suspicion?

How many clans inhabit the average Hiver-controlled world? Would it be unusual for an enclave of a given clan to exist on a world other than their clan's homeworld?

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:09 am

Starne wrote:Thank you Erinys.

So, the SFS Leviathan was'nt 'just' Zuuljacked, it's crew has been dominated by the Siren. That's far, far worse.

Nope. If the Siren had taken the Leviathan, she would still have it. She doesn't.

How would a princess, who for whatever reason, opted to live in space (On a station, an asteroid base, or maybe even a ship) be perceived by her peers? If she was'nt causing trouble, would she merely be seen as eccentric, or would she still be treated with suspicion?

So long as she solved the problem of artificial gravity and its effect on her developing offspring, she's just another Princess. Even a Queen can live in space at times, especially during times of trouble. It's said that Iron Tempest birthed many sons and daughters on the decks of Her flagship; it was a matter of perverse pride for the sons and daughters who were born during Her peregrinations to crush rebel clans.

How many clans inhabit the average Hiver-controlled world? Would it be unusual for an enclave of a given clan to exist on a world other than their clan's homeworld?

Depends entirely on the population. It can be one or thousands. And no, enclaves of sons who live away from their mother and the rest of the family are not at all unusual.

--Arinn

Cicero
Salus populi suprema lex esto

Post by Cicero » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:16 am

Erinys wrote:
They will do neither. The Leviathan is not the Horde's property. Only the Siren can make them scream AND obey.

So does this imply that there are people/thing that can make them scream OR obey, but not both? Other Suul'ka?

Also, do the fleet or Gate cult have any real corporate identities? That is, do Gate-priests and officers in larger ships end up owing more loyalty to their respective institutions then their clans?

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:35 am

"Respective institutions"? Not sure what that means. The Gates are precious, but they are the property of the Queen. She is part of Hiver cosmology as well as Hiver politics--there is no separation of Church and State.

--Arinn

Cicero
Salus populi suprema lex esto

Post by Cicero » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:02 am

Sorry, I'm tired and phrased that horribly.

What I'm saying is that I'm (quite possibly incorrectly) imagining Hiver society as rather feudal in nature with, outside of royalty, most citizens owing allegiance to their Princesses first and foremost. To give an example and hopefully simplify things, lets say the Queen is getting old and infirm, and a coalition of Princesses jump the gun a bit trying to take over. Would there be a large risk of warriors and workers in the fleet defecting if they were from one of the rebellious clan?

fiendishrabbit

Post by fiendishrabbit » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:21 am

Erinys wrote:So long as she solved the problem of artificial gravity and its effect on her developing offspring, she's just another Princess. Even a Queen can live in space at times, especially during times of trouble. It's said that Iron Tempest birthed many sons and daughters on the decks of Her flagship; it was a matter of perverse pride for the sons and daughters who were born during Her peregrinations to crush rebel clans.

What are the effects if she doesn't solve the problem of artificial gravity? Or solves it imperfectly for that matter.
While I can imagine that hivers would spare no expense at providing everything their queen needs I also imagine that for a warring clan it might not always be possible.
You can't trust the Liir. Never trust someone that smiles all the time.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:45 am

Side effects for any species that depends on embryogenesis are catastrophic enough that it is the main reason that Morrigi females did not spend a great deal of time in space, for the first while. ;)

--Arinn

G P

Post by G P » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:00 pm

Hiver were more or less my favourite race in the last game, I'm hoping the new features and more information on the religion and gate worship will draw me in ever further =)

Fantastic write up on the bugs, Ty Erinys

fiendishrabbit

Post by fiendishrabbit » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:27 pm

Erinys wrote:Side effects for any species that depends on embryogenesis are catastrophic enough that it is the main reason that Morrigi females did not spend a great deal of time in space, for the first while. ;)

--Arinn

Given that Antigravity wasn't developed by SOTS1 and that we've had spacefaring hiver queens before it, does that mean that the rotating sections on Hiver Point Defenseships is some sort of Legacy design based on early queen flagships? It seems like it's the only ship design in SOTS 1 that has any internal gravity (before the development of gravity control technology in the fusion age). Not to mention that a queen ship would have an armament that is primarily defensive in nature.
You can't trust the Liir. Never trust someone that smiles all the time.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:26 pm

Very astute, rabbit.

--Arinn

Return to “The Lore”