RACE: HIVER

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

Karu

Re: RACE: HIVER

Post by Karu » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:30 am

@Ludovsky: You might want to read the backstory of the "Hiver - Human war" as well as the "War of Unification" of the hiver.
(Long Story short: they are very diverse depending on the planet, and some were isolated ^^ )

Unfortunatly Erinys didn't took the bait - oh well, time will tell if I was right :)

Sincerly

ScoSteSal118

Post by ScoSteSal118 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:02 pm

Not to mention reading about their "just beginning to enter the space age, pre- gates" days, it's said that they sent out several STL colony fleets to other stars but those colonies faltered and lost contact with the homeworld and/or failed, and that the remnants of those initial colonies might have survived and taken a rather different developmental path biologically and socially and technologically...

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:10 pm

ScoSteSal118 wrote:Not to mention reading about their "just beginning to enter the space age, pre- gates" days, it's said that they sent out several STL colony fleets to other stars but those colonies faltered and lost contact with the homeworld and/or failed, and that the remnants of those initial colonies might have survived and taken a rather different developmental path biologically and socially and technologically...

... well those pre-gates days might just have been what I was wondering about >.>;

This said, I'd wondered a few times if SOTS1's refugees random encounter might not have been of Hivers descent themselves. Their "mothership" was built inside what looked like a large asteroid, not too unlike the Hiver habit of building space stations apparently out of asteroids as well, and not only that but they made use of a bussard ramjet, a tech decisively normally associated with the Hiver's lack of an FTL drive... which, regarding the refugees, we don't even know what or if they even used a FTL drive.

Thamuzz

Post by Thamuzz » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:46 am

Is the Hiver reincarnation process unique to their species on their Homeworld?

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:39 am

Yes. The structures that form in the Hiver brain are not unique, but the ability to transfer memories in this fashion is unique to their lineage.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

fiendishrabbit

Post by fiendishrabbit » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:59 pm

Erinys wrote:Yes. The structures that form in the Hiver brain are not unique, but the ability to transfer memories in this fashion is unique to their lineage.

--Arinn

Do hivers have any fairly close biological relatives (similar to humans and chimpanzees, ie split within the closest 5-10 million years) that still exist?
You can't trust the Liir. Never trust someone that smiles all the time.

wingren013
Cassandra

Post by wingren013 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:44 pm

Given the nature of the Hivers I wouldn't be surprised if some evolutionary throwbacks still existed in their society. As for more bestial relatives it is highly likely unless the Hivers eradicated them at some point.
The SOTS2 players guide: http://www.kerberos-productions.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=43082&p=482769#p482769
Ultimate Enemy Mod: http://www.kerberos-productions.com/for ... 01#p499101
(I like line spacing, parentheses, and inter-sentence punctuation; deal with it)

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:38 am

fiendishrabbit wrote:Do hivers have any fairly close biological relatives (similar to humans and chimpanzees, ie split within the closest 5-10 million years) that still exist?

Nothing that close, no. Hivers are a highly competitive species. Anything with a life history and dietary demands too similar to their own has been wiped out.

--Arinn

fiendishrabbit

Post by fiendishrabbit » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:13 am

Erinys wrote:
fiendishrabbit wrote:Do hivers have any fairly close biological relatives (similar to humans and chimpanzees, ie split within the closest 5-10 million years) that still exist?

Nothing that close, no. Hivers are a highly competitive species. Anything with a life history and dietary demands too similar to their own has been wiped out.

--Arinn

So what do they think of humans having several different species with 99% DNA in common still around? Very different species in terms of technological aptitude, but still.
You can't trust the Liir. Never trust someone that smiles all the time.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:06 am

By the time of Human-Hiver contact, the other great apes will be functionally extinct in the wild.

--Arinn

Ciurrioc

Post by Ciurrioc » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:58 am

oh my, no re population efforts on other worlds?
Has seen the Cover of the fabled Mecronomicon

"Who's hands shape what is"

Been around since 07...forum ate my account...rip 8/3/13

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:47 am

Repopulate with what? Extinction is kinda final and despite promises, science has yet to redeem stupid as witnessed by the lack of carrier pigeons and thylacines :(

Torezu

Post by Torezu » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:55 am

It would seem that they're not removing the atmosphere, so plants and animals could (probably) thrive if sufficient quantities of each were introduced all at once (for an actual ecosystem to be established) from another world that has a similar atmosphere.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:59 am

we are talking about primates in general and your idea would need sufficient numbers of genetically diverse population to work. And sadly, there aint gonna be those much longer for the great apes. Cause, ya know...we gotta have that nice, cheap furniture.

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:15 am

Made from way more exotic wood than is actually necessary, of course. And replaced every few years.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Return to “The Lore”