RACE: HIVER

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

levi_Will

Re: RACE: HIVER

Post by levi_Will » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:18 am

Now... I'm not sure if this was asked before but--
If you asked a HIVER for dating advice what would they tell you? (I assume each rank and such would have something different to say... And I'm curious to know what Radiant Frost thinks)
Mecron wrote:wow levi...you are previewing AND being a sarcasm master at the same time. Double awesome :thumbsup:

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:33 am

Oddly enough I believe I have answered this one before.

Radiant Frost is possibly not the best person to ask for dating advice, in much the same way that Elizabeth I might not be the best person to ask for dating advice. She has enjoyed and destroyed many Princes, but as a highly placed contender for the throne and a Queen her life has been woefully lacking in the romance department. Keep in mind that "politics" and "family management" are synonymous terms for a Hiver female.

Princes know much more about love, seduction and commitment, but they too have bittersweet lives. And sometimes the advice they give would not be terribly useful to another species. It's easy to say "Never be afraid to die for a woman" as a Hiver. A little harder to pull that off as an ape.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

levi_Will

Post by levi_Will » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:36 am

What about a worker or soldier?

(Sorry for asking so many random questions, I just find the lore so intriguing, and the lengths gone to prove how none of these races are just a Hat planet, each one being different and unique even to itself)
Mecron wrote:wow levi...you are previewing AND being a sarcasm master at the same time. Double awesome :thumbsup:

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:46 am

Workers and Warriors are born sterile and have no sexual drives. As with many human children, what they know about love and sex is gleaned from observing their own parents (and other Royals) and from art--stories, plays, songs. So if you sat down with a Hiver warrior and asked him how to win a woman's heart, would he'd likely tell you is "Well, I saw this movie once about a Prince who loved a Princess and wanted to be her mate, and he fought for seven years to defeat an enemy clan and then brought her rival's head in a nice box..." while the Worker would say, "Well, why don't you have your children do something nice for her, and show her how smart and healthy they are?"

--Arinn

P.S. Come to think of it, the worker's advice might actually work. ;)
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

Thamuzz

Post by Thamuzz » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:35 am

How prominent a role does romance have in Hiver entertainment? Are there Hiver romcoms?
Are there significant styles and story archetypes directed at each caste?
How is entertainment generally approached (public/private, would Hivers attending a concert talk to each other or would the watch in silence, would you generally expect to find mixed caste audiences at a public performance?)
How are Hiver entertainers viewed? (is there such a thing as a Hiver movie/rockstar?)
How are other races generally portrayed in Hiver entertainment?

Mika

Post by Mika » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:27 am

Thamuzz wrote:How prominent a role does romance have in Hiver entertainment? Are there Hiver romcoms?

Romance in hiver entertainment would probably be political drama. Imagine what The West Wing would look like if professional and personal relations were the same thing in politics. Add some legendary/historical recreations of the same and you're ready to go.

I expect it'd be quite hard to find actor who can fill prince/princess/queen roles though, due to the physical differences.
Michael, speaking for Boskone

fibio

Post by fibio » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:12 am

CGI man :P
Buy my book - Six Seconds of Moonlight on the kindle store.

Anyone can be a god beneath the moonlight, but who can be a hero?

That Schmuck

Post by That Schmuck » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:14 pm

I wouldn't be surprised by the occasional prince in theater/Hiver Hollywood. When the goal of the game is to get yourself known and admired, it can be very useful to be a famous actor. Not that such princes wouldn't be involved in other fields as well, mind you.

firestrike

Post by firestrike » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:22 pm

so if the no one have the SFS Leviathan is it lost somewhere like nodeline :?:

and so what the reletionship between the human and the hiver in sots 2
sry i'm new but have been looking up the forum for half a year now :D

twentypence

Post by twentypence » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:39 pm

firestrike wrote:so if the no one have the SFS Leviathan is it lost somewhere like nodeline :?:

More information on the current relationship is provided earlier in the thread:
viewtopic.php?p=330029#p330029

Tssha

Post by Tssha » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:05 pm

I imagine that there's probably a fair bit of popular entertainment that includes rather prominent romantic elements, but likely those'd be in the context of some larger narratives, and they'd be a plot element in a rather large plot design. This would be the sort of thing to appeal to workers and warriors, so they're not going to get that same mushy feeling many of us get from identifying with the main characters of a romcom or a...I can't think of a better word for this, "chick-flick". Don't hit me. :(

I mean, think of the last romantic comedy you saw that starred folks your parents' age. Those'd probably be closer to mass appeal in Hiver society than anything else. Then folks would be able to identify with the hivers in that movie who are so happy for their parents that they're happy and have found love. Likely with the help of some rather special worker who composed a rather lengthy sonnet for his father and while it was up to the Prince to perform it flawlessly, he still helped out a lot.

...I could so get a job in Hiver show-business. Anyway, likely the pure "romantic" films and plays would be in Tcho'to...ken, I think? The language of the Princes and Princesses. They'd likely be elaborate affairs designed for a smaller, non-popular audience and likely require a large number of workers to put on elaborate dance numbers that show off how healthy they are and how lucky a Princess would be to have a father this good at producing viable offspring. Princes would likely star themselves in such a performance...and in fact that gives me a really good idea.

If a prince starred in such a romantic theatre, this could be his way of advertising his, shall we say, "wares". A touring band of father and sons might go from court to court, playing out this rather elaborate romantic subplot for each Princess they visit. When one feels strongly enough that this is the Prince for her, they'd likely put in a bid or make an offer. If a Prince wanted to maximize his gain from this particular move, he might visit more Princesses after receiving such a bid in an effort to drum up demand and get a better deal. Of course, the real benefit is portraying the prince as a romantic paramour, the ideal mate and soul companion. It doesn't hurt to have so many talented sons as well dancing on stage to prove your love for the Princess of the week. ;)

...but take all that for what it's worth. This isn't my universe, I'm just speculating here.
"The glory of friendship is not the outstretched hand, nor the kindly smile nor the joy of companionship; it is the spiritual inspiration that comes to one when he discovers that someone else believes in him and is willing to trust him."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

"In the beginning, there was nothing, which exploded." -Terry Pratchett

firestrike

Post by firestrike » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:53 am

twentypence wrote:
firestrike wrote:so if the no one have the SFS Leviathan is it lost somewhere like nodeline :?:

More information on the current relationship is provided earlier in the thread:
viewtopic.php?p=330029#p330029

thanks forgot about that :D

Loser

Post by Loser » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:19 pm

I know which race i will be playing first :D

The Hivers reminds me of Wu Zetian of the Tang dynasty and the Princess Taiping.

amtie

Post by amtie » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:13 pm

You traitor! The Tarkasian Empirium will hunt you and your feeble Hiver empire like the bug that it is. :twisted:

Loser

Post by Loser » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:56 pm

Yeah well once i blew up the transportship with Varkona, So i got less eggs. But I will try Tarka out first just on the safe side as they have the most straight forward gameplay there is (besides human).

Return to “The Lore”