RACE: HIVER

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

Formid

Re: RACE: HIVER

Post by Formid » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:43 pm

Quick, random question I can't believe I've never asked before: How well do Hivers see? At least on Earth compound eyes are in most respects quite inferior to vertebrate eyes, though the sheer size of a Hiver's eyes compared to a house flies will improve things a little. The only real advantage of them besides being low upkeep compared to a vertebrate eye is that they have HUGE temporal resolution, which is a big part of the reason so many insects have such awesome reflexes. An object that is a quick blur across the field of view of a human is a slowly moving distinct object to a dragonfly.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:00 pm

Hivers see reasonably well and have good hearing as well. Their vision is only slightly inferior to Human, and the same is true of their hearing. Their sense of smell is far better, however.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

blackstar

Post by blackstar » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:30 pm

hm,I wonder what hiver society was like before the unification under one queen. were multiple queens before unification?

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:55 am

Yes. They call it the Warring Queens period, which should give you some idea of what things were like. ;)

--Arinn

Jeep-Eep

Post by Jeep-Eep » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:45 pm

How do you swear in Hiver? Which dialect would you most likely use? Is the cursing primarily blasphemous or scatological? What's the spectrum of strength?

That Schmuck

Post by That Schmuck » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:20 am

I suspect it may involve a lot of "Yo mama" type comments.

Tarrak

Post by Tarrak » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:10 am

That Schmuck wrote:I suspect it may involve a lot of "Yo mama" type comments.

Gah... I wouldn't bet on that. I would guess that such an insult would only be used prior to mortal combat. Pretty dangerous stuff that, considering the Hivers are more than willing to die for their mother.

I'm guessing it would be very elaborate versions of "you/your clan smell like..." and "my dad is stronger than your dad. Literally, he killed him in a duel." And I wouldn't be sursprised if there would be a great deal of unfriendly insinuations if a princess had her prince consort taken to the queen for prima nocte. Especially the warriors would be crude about it, while the princes would be having a great time with their verbal barbs considering it.
Every time you use 'fluff' for lore a Kerberos developer dies. And they are already an endangered species.

MrBoom

Post by MrBoom » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:32 am

Maybe caste-related? I'm reasonably sure calling a member of one caste the derogatory term reserved for the one below would be irritating to say the least.

Tarrak

Post by Tarrak » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:28 pm

Well, the A Letter Home story does indicate the Warriors do jab at Workers, but not so much verbally, as they are physical (practical jokes, or the general jock-behaviour I guess). Royals are very much unlikely to bother with insults against lower castes. Perhaps the odd Prince vs Warrior if they going to duel, or the Prince refuses said duel.
Every time you use 'fluff' for lore a Kerberos developer dies. And they are already an endangered species.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:16 pm

"Motherless" and "misborn" or "half-born" are two fairly standard, and rather dire, insults among the Hivers. Most of the rest of their worst insults are excremental or have to do with how badly you stink.

--Arinn

Tarrak

Post by Tarrak » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:21 pm

Erinys wrote:"Motherless" and "misborn" or "half-born" are two fairly standard, and rather dire, insults among the Hivers. Most of the rest of their worst insults are excremental or have to do with how badly you stink.

--Arinn

Woot! I called the smell! :P

Thamuzz

Post by Thamuzz » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:40 am

I remember "Your mother wears dueling blades" being suggested as being the worst thing you could possibly say to a Hiver warrior.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:53 am

It's right up there. Implying that her sons are so weak and useless that they cannot defend their own Princess is a pretty low blow, and likely to get you disemboweled.

--Arinn

Sevain

Post by Sevain » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:59 am

Hmm... How much trouble would the Loyal Sons get for disemboweling me after such a poor choice of words? Not much, unless my death brought trouble to their clan I think.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:32 am

Not their fault that your mother doesn't value you enough to bring you back from the dead, now is it? ;)

--Arinn

Return to “The Lore”