RACE: HIVER

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

Itharus

Re: RACE: HIVER

Post by Itharus » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:05 am

Erinys wrote:"Motherless" and "misborn" or "half-born" are two fairly standard, and rather dire, insults among the Hivers. Most of the rest of their worst insults are excremental or have to do with how badly you stink.

--Arinn

Funny, that's how I like to insult people o_O
Go Hiver or go home!

Jeep-Eep

Post by Jeep-Eep » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:49 pm

What would a Hiver make of Marmite?

fiendishrabbit

Post by fiendishrabbit » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:46 am

Jeep-Eep wrote:What would a Hiver make of Marmite?

It's probably a restricted substance in hiverspace :lol:
You can't trust the Liir. Never trust someone that smiles all the time.

vaccum_pony

Post by vaccum_pony » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:10 am

I've been on a bit of a David Cronenberg the last few weeks. Just watched 'The Fly' last night (hadn't seen it since the theatrical release). This morning I played some turns on an ongoing Hiver (SotS Prime) and it suddenly hit me... Insects... Teleportation... Were the Hivers made the teleporting race as a nod to 'The Fly'? If not Cronenbergs remake, then perhaps the original 1958 film?
- - - -

Shed not a tear for humanity, go fetch my stars.

Vaccum Pony

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:24 am

I certainly love those films, but Mecron designs the strategic movement of the factions.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

vaccum_pony

Post by vaccum_pony » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:05 am

Oh well. I hoped there might have been a connection considering the quantity of references and "tips of the hat" to genre fiction. Especially in light of the Canadian connection.

"Be afraid. Be very afraid."
- - - -

Shed not a tear for humanity, go fetch my stars.

Vaccum Pony

Sevain

Post by Sevain » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:34 am

If you wanted to tell a Hiver an uplifting story, which Human story should you pick?

Starknight

Post by Starknight » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:52 am

The 47 Ronin, perhaps?
My Morrigi fleet-speed calculator for SotS Prime
The Holy Lands - Hivers vs. the infidel Liir (and others)
Currently working on getting my board game Dragon Raiders into final condition before going to Kickstarter...

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:08 am

Hiver warriors and male royals are already quite fond of adventure-romances and the Hiver translations of Chūshingura and the Iliad into ri-kap'ken are both extremely popular. (For the record, Tarkas of all castes generally prefer the Odyssey!) Workers latch onto a far greater variety of human heroic figures. They have already translated Lao Tzu and many of them are fond of Cicero and Plato, as examples. The writings of Mao Zedong are also enormously popular, and many Hivers call him by the affectionate title of "Brother Mole" when discussing his work.

Hiver women and girls are more inspired by human Queens and other female leaders, naturally, although they tend to regard human sterility with sadness. Elizabeth I and Victoria rank high as human figures of interest, as do Cleopatra and Hatshepsut and Zenobia, Aud the Deep-Minded and Sigrid the Proud, Tomyris of the Massegetai, etc..

As an aside, of course. uplifting stories depend on the occasion. ;)

--Arinn

fiendishrabbit

Post by fiendishrabbit » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:11 am

Starknight wrote:The 47 Ronin, perhaps?

Although it doesn't really make sense from a Hiver perspective. While the tale of revenge certainly rings true, the circumstances under which their master died would probably be completely alien to a hiver. Tarkas on the other hand would perhaps understand the beginning, but not the end (well, they'd understand it. But they'd think it was ridiculous).

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:23 am

Hivers are sentient beings, so there is no difficulty understanding directly analogous loyalties. A samurai's house is very similar to a Hiver family in terms of the relationships and expectations.

-- Arinn

fiendishrabbit

Post by fiendishrabbit » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:04 am

Erinys wrote:Hivers are sentient beings, so there is no difficulty understanding directly analogous loyalties. A samurai's house is very similar to a Hiver family in terms of the relationships and expectations.

-- Arinn

Except I doubt a hiver princess would commit suicide or submit to execution as long as a single of her house is still in fighting condition (barring very special circumstances, like the fate of the entirety of the hiver race).

Naja
Doomsayer

Post by Naja » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:20 am

Erinys wrote:Hiver warriors and male royals are already quite fond of adventure-romances and the Hiver translations of Chūshingura and the Iliad into ri-kap'ken are both extremely popular. (For the record, Tarkas of all castes generally prefer the Odyssey!) Workers latch onto a far greater variety of human heroic figures. They have already translated Lao Tzu and many of them are fond of Cicero and Plato, as examples. The writings of Mao Zedong are also enormously popular, and many Hivers call him by the affectionate title of "Brother Mole" when discussing his work.

Hiver women and girls are more inspired by human Queens and other female leaders, naturally, although they tend to regard human sterility with sadness. Elizabeth I and Victoria rank high as human figures of interest, as do Cleopatra and Hatshepsut and Zenobia, Aud the Deep-Minded and Sigrid the Proud, Tomyris of the Massegetai, etc..

As an aside, of course. uplifting stories depend on the occasion. ;)

--Arinn

The idea of Hiver workers liking Mao is intriguing. What in particular appeals to them?

Thamuzz

Post by Thamuzz » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:25 pm

How about the reverse? Have any major Hiver works of literature made inroads into human culture?

Tarrak

Post by Tarrak » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:26 pm

fiendishrabbit wrote:
Erinys wrote:Hivers are sentient beings, so there is no difficulty understanding directly analogous loyalties. A samurai's house is very similar to a Hiver family in terms of the relationships and expectations.

-- Arinn

Except I doubt a hiver princess would commit suicide or submit to execution as long as a single of her house is still in fighting condition (barring very special circumstances, like the fate of the entirety of the hiver race).

I think you have to consider the point that Hivers know that Humans are different, and know enough of Human thoughtproccesses to understand that we do such thing now and then. And more importantly, the daimyo in question could much easier be related to a Prince, a leader of warriors. I seem to remember references to Hiver Princes sacrificing themselves if their loyalty had been won. In this case Honour itself would be related to the Princess/Queen since the daimyo treated it with the same respect as a truly loyal Prince would his Princess/Queen.
What would in fact be very inspiring is the fact that Princes aren't equally loyal as the others, but here the analogue kills himself rather than let his 'love' suffer for it. A romantic notion. But then again, that is a human way of considerng it. We romantizice things that are impossible, and especially those that overcome those impossibilities. In this case however I think it is fittng enough. I doubt a Hiver would be very impressed, or rather at the brink of tears (can they secrete fluid from their eyes?) from the beauty of hte impossible situation overcome, if the story is about simply working hard before finally achieving a status quo. Like a factory worker working hard to get his children an education. Hivers do that every day, it's their life (yes yes, humans too, but on another scale, thus the human problems might seem oddly small). They might enjoy the way this is presented, but the actual story would just be socialrealism of a mundane character.

Another story I think the Hivers could enjoy would be something like the Spartans at Thermopylae. Each man is no better than the next, but as a whole they are much better than their adversaries, and in the end they sacrifice their lives to a man (well minus one) for the good of their 'clan'. Each individual giving his best unto death, and that best was very good indeed.
Of course if they knew the real story, with all the allied forces retreating in hte end and the potentially less than brilliant decision to stay with an important component of the army, yet one of so small tactical size, that it was quickly eradicated. I guess they might be more baffled than impressed.
Every time you use 'fluff' for lore a Kerberos developer dies. And they are already an endangered species.

Return to “The Lore”