FACTION: SOL FORCE

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Re: THE NOVA MARIA

Post by Erinys » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:17 pm

twentypence wrote:Just want to check, is this the Epsilon Eridani star system? I'm guessing it is as that planet is in prime and Epsilon Indi isn't.

Yep. Epsilon Eridani was selected because it is one of the nearest stars known to have planets[/quote]

Also, do each of the Sol Force Corps have a Legator in charge of them?

Yes. The rank is Legator in Latin, Legate in English, and it is the nearest rank to the Director. Typically a new Director is chosen from among the Legators, although this is not always the case.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

twentypence

Re: FACTION: SOL FORCE

Post by twentypence » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:52 pm

Digging up an old one here:

Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:10 pm from The Humans thread
Erinys wrote:The rebellion scenario in the game is meant to model a situation in which a small coalition felt that it would be in their best interests to break free of SolForce control, control their own destiny and establish their own navy and alliances. How it plays out is up to the player, naturally. Until the history of the game advances, I won't spoil how the rebellion ends in the "SotS-verse". ;)

Any spoilers yet? :)

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:51 pm

*chuckles* The Zuul War put an end to it temporarily, actually. The Independents considered the Zuul a greater enemy than Sol Force, and have been loyal citizens since. The current Director was born on a Freehold planet. You can tell by his last name, which is Freeborne.

--Arinn

Grunthex

Post by Grunthex » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:20 pm

The Zuul - bringing people together since 2413. Have you sent a card this Zuulday?

Golden Yak

Post by Golden Yak » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:31 pm

That brings to mind a question - Zuul holidays. To the Zuul thread!
Nerts to this space-crap!

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:25 am

Blackwarder wrote:Brilliant write up Arinn, one thing I would like to know about SF, is it a democratically elected body, a dictatorship or something in the middle?

Sol Force has been a number of things over the course of its history, and continues to evolve to meet the needs of the moment. In general it is best not to view any Faction of the game in terms of a label. A government is defined by its present actions, not its past tradition or the label it pastes on itself for marketing purposes. I would argue that this is the sanest way to view any government, real or imagined. There are many governments on Earth which claim to be democratically elected, when they are not.

I have never been comfortable pasting a label on Sol Force, even during the SotS Prime era, and in the SotS 2 era it makes even less sense. Any Faction in the game can evolve its political system based on the actions you take as a player. The Director of Sol Force was an appointed post when Blasky held it. Falke was a dictator, MacKenzie was the leader of a Junta, and Freebourne is a democratically elected leader. Times change. ;)

--Arinn

twentypence

Post by twentypence » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:10 am

Erinys wrote:The current Director was born on a Freehold planet.

What's the definition of a Freehold planet?
It sounds like one which has been set up completely independently of Sol Force, but has elected to join up again afterwards while maintaining certain freedoms.

After about 70 years of interstellar trade have any new players on the political scene emerged (for example trading companies with monopolies)?
I imagine there's been plenty of scope for people to have made a lot of money doing chocolate and cheese runs.
Would these organisations have enough funds to set up their own colonies? Or is there some regulation / requirement for Sol Force to be involved?

Are Sol Force the only owners of human combat ships now? Or have they sold any surplus / old ships to Freehold planets / others?

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:11 am

A Freehold is a Human colony which was founded and developed without sanction or direct support from Sol Force. Some of them have already joined Sol Force once they were formally invited to become part of the empire. Others have joined the Morrigi Confederation or remain unaligned.

As for combat ships--it is theoretically possible that a group of Freehold worlds could join together and form an alternative Human empire if given the proper stimulus. It is possible for multiple Human factions to exist in the game. Lots of people know how to build a Node drive these days. ;)

--Arinn

TheTuninator

Post by TheTuninator » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:12 am

Out of curiosity, did the unprovoked (from the Hiver perspective) Sol Force attacks on Hiver holdings cause Sol Force to be seen as an aggressive, expansionist entity to the present? Or have the diplomatic exchanges and (presumably given) explanations of the Hiver attack on Earth, from both sides, smoothed those initial incidents over and caused each entity to reevaluate the other?

I do know that the factions have been working together in the wake of the Zuul attacks, but I'd be interested to see if there's still a perception held by both the humans and the hivers that the other race is aggressive and warlike.
"DIVE DIVE DIVE, HIT YOUR BURNERS PILOT!"

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:41 am

There are still and will always be some Hivers who despise Humans and see them as a threat which has been poorly handled. I believe I'll put in the Hiver Imperium thread next, so that you can learn more about recent Hiver history from the Hiver perspective. :)

--Arinn

TheTuninator

Post by TheTuninator » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:01 am

Erinys wrote:There are still and will always be some Hivers who despise Humans and see them as a threat which has been poorly handled. I believe I'll put in the Hiver Imperium thread next, so that you can learn more about recent Hiver history from the Hiver perspective. :)

--Arinn

Sounds good! I find the concept of the Hivers fascinating (I was sold on "insectoid race but NOT a hive mind"), so definitely looking forward to seeing how my beloved apes are perceived by my second-favorite faction! :)
"DIVE DIVE DIVE, HIT YOUR BURNERS PILOT!"

Unwashed_Pleb
Ante Priore Wangum

Post by Unwashed_Pleb » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:14 pm

Here are a few questions for you.

Have human telepaths began to emerge?

What are the details about the Human-Tarka war? Why did the two factions rapidly spiral into conflict when it seems they have plenty of opportunity to solve problems diplomatically.

What was first-contact with the Liir like for humanity? Have the Liir considered using their amazing gentic supah powahs to revive earth's cetacean life forms for study?

How could an armistice be formed with the hivers when humanity struck several different small empires at the same time?
Plebeian. Adj.
1. Of, belonging to, or characteristic of commoners.
2. Unrefined or coarse in nature or manner; common or vulgar: plebeian tastes.

Unwashed. Adj.
1. Unclean
2. Plebeian: the unwashed masses.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:22 pm

Unwashed_Pleb wrote:Here are a few questions for you.

Have human telepaths began to emerge?

Human beings with psionic ability do exist, and there is a Section of Sol Force R&D working on the problem. Current Task Force Commander of that Section is Alejandro Luis Maldonado.

What are the details about the Human-Tarka war? Why did the two factions rapidly spiral into conflict when it seems they have plenty of opportunity to solve problems diplomatically.

Ashilde Falke was the Director of Sol Force at the time. She was not a huge fan of aliens of any species. And although the El Kona favored peace and made early efforts to establish diplomatic contact, they did not have significant ties to the Throne of Steel at the time.

What was first-contact with the Liir like for humanity?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlDCPe2tjFg

The first human beings to have extended contact with the Liir race was Alejandro Luis Maldonado. He was a Green Section scout pilot in 2426. His vessel was attacked by Von Neumann machines and the rest of the crew was lost; he was the sole survivor. A Liir vessel rescued him and brought him aboard. He spent over a year on Muur before he was returned to Sol Force as a gesture of good will. Formed the Blue Section of Sol Force Intelligence in 2429. Founded the Psionic Research division in 2496.

His personnel records indicate that he has aged only about a decade biologically, in the past 70 years.

Have the Liir considered using their amazing gentic supah powahs to revive earth's cetacean life forms for study?

I answered this question in pages-long detail back in the old Races forum. Genetic Supah Powahs are irrelevant to the question. Dead cells and tissues will never restore an extinct organism to true life.

How could an armistice be formed with the hivers when humanity struck several different small empires at the same time?

Hivers were already unified under Radiant Frost prior to the Armistice. It didn't take them long at all to rally under the banner of a single Princess when they were seriously threatened by another species for the first time in centuries.

--Arinn

Unwashed_Pleb
Ante Priore Wangum

Post by Unwashed_Pleb » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:09 am

So much information!!

I made the original question about the cetaceans, I just wanted to see if the story had progressed on that note...

Just a few more questions, I promise!

I confess, I don't know what the "cannon" travel time between systems for the Hivers is, strictly, but from what I can tell, the time frame between Human development of the Nova Maria to combat cruisers was abrupt. Even after the orbital station that built and launched her was destroyed.
From what I can tell, earth suffered from the following:
Post-orbital bombardment
A significantly depleted population
a foe who had reached (at the very least) the dreadnaught era just as humanity made it's very first 'destroyer'.

Humanity literally went from almost nothing to Exterminator in no-time flat. Why didn't the Hivers, after noticing a princess was missing, send more ships to investigate? Why didn't they unite to crush this upstart race who spontaneously declared war against several of their smaller empires before it grew to become a real threat?

I know humans are mean when cornered, but it seems like we went from "zero to hero" faster then advertized in a late night commercial.

next question

What are the largest and/or most important human colonies?

Did humanity lose the Leviathan to the Zuul? or did they scuttle the ship before they could get their grubby marsupial mitts on it?

I know the avatars in SOTS have the pension for the silly, but why in the world is there a Tarkas that looks like a human-tarkas hybrid? Genetic splicing gone wrong, or James T. Kirk Syndrome?
Plebeian. Adj.
1. Of, belonging to, or characteristic of commoners.
2. Unrefined or coarse in nature or manner; common or vulgar: plebeian tastes.

Unwashed. Adj.
1. Unclean
2. Plebeian: the unwashed masses.

RobAK801
Doomsayer

Post by RobAK801 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:18 am

The Tarka avatar is a human boy that was sold as a slave to the Tarka by his parents for food. The Empress adopted him and changed the Tarka laws about slavery, they didn't recognize non-Tarkas as people so they weren't protected.

The Hivers were engaged in a civil war due to the lack of a successor to the throne, the princess that we killed had secretly fled the conflict to build her forces, her sister would view her death as one less rival. Hivers are sub-light so it would take them decades to reach the closest star to our, so we had time to rebuild before intercepting her damaged DN.
N* makes me miss my Commadore 64 and my copies of Starflight I + II :(

SolForce Grunt 1: With the Suul'ka on the loose Command has issued a F.U.C.K. You order.
SG2: A what?
SG1: A Fight Until Cthulu Kills You order!

Return to “The Lore”