The effects of trade

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

TheJimTimMan

The effects of trade

Post by TheJimTimMan » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:00 pm

(Hello, forum!)

I was thinking back to the old threads about the various cultural aspects of each of the races and that got me wondering:

Now that the races have been interacting for a significant amount of time, how has inter-racial trade affected the general lifestyle of the average citizen?
Is it still at a rather limited (for the age) stage with a few major trading points throughout the empires seeing huge amounts of alien goods in the local systems, but with only a handful of more exotic/high-demand goods reaching systems more distant from these hubs?
Or has it gotten to the stage where you'll see goods from a variety of races being used in conjunction on a daily basis (say, a human listening to Liirian music on his Tarka-made PDA during his daily commute while munching on some light Morrigi confectionary)?

I can easily see the latter only being the case in the largest of trade hubs, and I can imagine it'll be the case on most worlds that the majority of products will probably be that of the dominant race/faction, but I'm curious as to the level of osmosis that's occured culturally with respect to more than one race inhabiting any given world.

As a final note, I'd like to thank Erinys for giving me and other like-minded fans of SotS the opportunity not only to see the lore of SotS 2 in advance but to have our questions answered by the writer herself. This is a wonderful opportunity to learn more about this excellently developed setting and I cannot thank you enough for it. :D

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Re: The effects of trade

Post by Erinys » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:19 pm

Many thanks for the kind words. Glad you're enjoying the forum.

Trade definitely does create a richer, more interesting universe for everyone. Hivers have never and will never lose their taste for cheese. Morrigi will never lose their taste for antiques. Liir continue to collect musical recordings, and Tarka are extremely fond of movies. The latest craze is a subtitled or dubbed version of The Three Stooges, which they call The Three Stumpies.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

That Schmuck

Post by That Schmuck » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:10 am

The Three Stumpies needs to be a potential name for a computer player Tarka factions. That or a human faction, if you're playing Tarka.

Ebondragon

Post by Ebondragon » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:18 am

Well I can see a lot of trade in things like textiles, foodstuffs, spices, raw materials, component parts, and art/cultural artifacts. I can't see finished electronics being too heavily traded, mainly because of the whole uniqueness to each race's thought-process that has been discussed many times before by the devs. I suspect that a human would have to have a deep understanding of another race to understand the User Interface of another race's tech. Hell there are some humans who can't read a VCR manual to save their lives, and now you want to have them try to use a Morrigi/Tarka/Hiver made music player?

Now this wouldn't preclude say a Morrigi electronics firm deciding to invest in a small human company, provide them with some components, and then start turning out products meant for a human market. But these would likely be products that would be designed by humans for humans using Morrigi parts and capital investment.

And I too would also like to add my thank-you to Erinys for sharing all this info with us. I've loved reading over everything in this forum so far and I look forward to more!

Although I do admit to having a rather humorous mental image popping into my mind of a trio of Tarka acting like Larry, Curly, and Moe on the battlefield to taunt their enemies.

patton1942

Post by patton1942 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:35 pm

What are the Human's fond of? We know everybody wants Hiver air filtration systems (or at least Hiver filters), we've seen that Tarka iron wood decorative boxes are popular.

What other types of goods do the monkeys revel in?
Mecron on Rebellions: "hell no, we won't go!" becomes "Holy crap! We don't wanna glow!"
Here be pirates

marshb

Post by marshb » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:29 pm

patton1942 wrote:What are the Human's fond of? We know everybody wants Hiver air filtration systems (or at least Hiver filters), we've seen that Tarka iron wood decorative boxes are popular.

What other types of goods do the monkeys revel in?

Anything "SHINY"! 8) Really, what doesn't spark fascination in Domesticated Primates as a whole. :thumbsup:
Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.

Orison of Sonmi-451

Pcharnkov

Post by Pcharnkov » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:39 pm

Have the Morrigi or anyone else established a widely accepted currency or is it still basically high-level bartering?

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:42 pm

There is no Universal Space Buck, no. ;p

--Arinn

TheJimTimMan

Post by TheJimTimMan » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:03 pm

How widespread is tourism between the empires? And with that in mind, what's the exchange rate like between major currencies?

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:52 pm

This is completely dependent on highly variable circumstances. The borders close to tourism during war time, and currency exchange is determined based on a government's ability to back its promises in stable roentgenium. If you were a lonely traveler passing through alien territory, your best cargo would be either locally desired rarities or good quality metals. Local populations will still accept roentgenium even in very small quantities, as in Morrigi coins, as well as gold, silver and other attractive components of personal adornment. A Liirian pearl is good to have in your purse to bribe local officials almost anywhere, as is a Living Steel blade.

--Arinn

Hari Seldon

Post by Hari Seldon » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:12 am

Cool with the roentgenium. Do living steel blades need to be sharpened?
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Salvor Hardin, Foundation

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:37 am

Only a master of the Orru clan can sharpen living steel. A less skilled smith will destroy the blade.

--Arinn

Return to “The Lore”