The Black vs. the Suul'ka

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

Hari Seldon

Re: The Black vs. the Suul'ka

Post by Hari Seldon » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:53 pm

:thumbsup: Because hooking The Black up to a Fusion or Antimatter-powered synthetic food machine (if he can still eat regular food) that reprocesses his waste and nibbles on comets for his body and asteroids for his metal shell as he grows (since he would not be living off of non-fattening psionic energy) would just be overkill and still eventually cause overharvesting if The Black nibbled up enough to become Moon-sized, etc. :P Being like King Arthur is cooler, and sufficient for future Suul'ka defense.
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Salvor Hardin, Foundation

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:32 am

You can only go so far before you start needing more energy than you can take in. I don't think a moon sized lifeform would be able to survive for any length of time.

It's almost a wonder the Suul'ka didn't just starve to death.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Golden Yak

Post by Golden Yak » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:46 am

Directly drawing in the vital energy of lifeforms into your own physical form is probably way more efficient than simple digestion.
Nerts to this space-crap!

Naja
Doomsayer

Post by Naja » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:56 am

Erinys wrote:The Black.. can bask in radiation and remain alive in a dreaming state.

Is this the "pure" source of energy for space-bound Great Elders?

Are the Suul'Ka star-killers, then?

Hari Seldon

Post by Hari Seldon » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:38 am

Maybe the analogy is "surviving by keeping warm at the campfire" like the story To Build a Fire by the classic author Jack London, not "Superman powers from radiation" because:

Erinys wrote:cannot exert a great deal of energy without having to replenish it at the expense of other life forms
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Salvor Hardin, Foundation

Tundra

Post by Tundra » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:45 pm

So Suul'ka feed off other species, is that where their 'food/energy' source is?

That Schmuck

Post by That Schmuck » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:53 pm

That or they're feeding off of the universe itself in some way, since it's a living thing in this series. I still suspect that if you park them at any star system, the inhabitants will start to mysteriously drop dead.

AlanF5

Post by AlanF5 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:05 pm

Would those Drowned who choose death rather than return to society or quiet exile... Would they offer themselves to the Black as sustenance? Would their last sacrifice be accepted?
Download my zombie outbreak mini-sim: unfortunately, it's not Fort Zombie.

Winner of the "Guess what the zerker discs are an homage to?" race. (The Mandarin's ten rings)

Golden Yak

Post by Golden Yak » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:23 pm

Hmm, it was claimed that Black Swimmer who can't go on any longer will pilot their craft into a star, and that the Black dreams while near a star...
Nerts to this space-crap!

Obi325

Post by Obi325 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:04 pm

Is it possible that the Black is the first black swimmer and thus already dead and cannot become Suul'ka?

levi_Will

Post by levi_Will » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:10 pm

Obi325 wrote:Is it possible that the Black is the first black swimmer and thus already dead and cannot become Suul'ka?

Most likely he is the first black swimmer... but No black swimmer is dead, they just hold their funerals early since they can never return. I think someone got the reason why The Black can never go suul'ka awhile back. Not entirely sure.
Mecron wrote:wow levi...you are previewing AND being a sarcasm master at the same time. Double awesome :thumbsup:

COL Tatticky
Cassandra

Post by COL Tatticky » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:41 pm

There isn't anything that could really stop the Black if he decided to "go Suul'ka", as far as I know.

As for now, he's not a Suul'ka in the way you're not a facist: you just aren't. (I hope!)
Adeptus Astronomica assesment: Psyker, Grade Beta
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
5 DE Cobra

Obi325

Post by Obi325 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:02 am

COL Tatticky wrote:There isn't anything that could really stop the Black if he decided to "go Suul'ka", as far as I know.

As for now, he's not a Suul'ka in the way you're not a facist: you just aren't. (I hope!)

It was said he can't be Suul'ka by definition. But yet again, that can just mean he isn't one right now or that he doesn't want ot become one. :lol:

Querente

Post by Querente » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:24 pm

Its really simple. A Great Elder has 2 options
1. Die peacefully as a proper Liir and become sea food for other life, part of the circle of life
2. Become sociopath and escape the planet in all the splendor of a Suul'ka

The Black simply took a third option
3. Temporary put your death on hold, to kick some Suulka Tailfin.

The Black is not Suul'ka, his motivation is his compassion for ALL life, he is more like the ultimate Liir but with the cruel wisdom that to save the many he may need to hurt the few now and then.

Torezu

Post by Torezu » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:33 pm

Querente wrote:The Black is not Suul'ka, his motivation is his compassion for ALL life, he is more like the ultimate Liir but with the cruel wisdom that to save the many he may need to hurt the few now and then.

I'm not certain he needs to even hurt a few. Psionic energy in the SotS-verse seems to regenerate slowly over time. The Black probably wears himself out almost completely with each Suul'ka battle, and that's followed by a period of recuperation. If he's attacked by another Suul'ka during that recovery process, I'm guessing he either receives sacrificial energy from nearby Liir who wish to "contribute" or consumes the Suul'ka's own energy to fight it (wouldn't that be cool?).

Return to “The Lore”