SUUL'KA

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

That Schmuck

Re: SUUL'KA

Post by That Schmuck » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:02 am

Erinys wrote:"Princess Humble" has an amusing ring to it, but I don't believe Chezokin would make a good female.

--Arinn

Bah! The Humble Queen!

Tarrak

Post by Tarrak » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:29 pm

Sevain wrote:Who does the Usurper belong to?

Horde Zuul. Youngest race vs oldest Suul'ka. Though this is by proxy being that The Usurper is the one wanting that battle rather than the Zuul themselves. However I can easily see his Greatfather being very much in favour of this action due to how the Zuul seniority is established. In any case that matchup takes out two Suul'ka from the list, at least for the immediate future.

The one lacking an enemy is The Bloodweaver (I suppose The Usurper will lack one if he wins, but by then I wouldn't be surprised if everyone ganged up on him or he got 'saved' or something). Given his abilities and interests, the enemy is perhaps another bioengineered race, or at least one that has a relationship with that (religiously opposed is also an option). I already speculated that one of the new races might be a splinter of the early Hiver colonists that had to be recalled, but with the very slow communications one or more princesses might have taken it upon themselves to save their clans and left for better pastures, and used the good Hiver bioengineering to effectively create a new race.
But a race that suffered his depradations would be an obvious choice, as would a ruthless race that want what he has (all his depraved research facilities). Espcially the latter is appealing since right now only the Horde Zuul are 'evil', and even they have an outlet in the Prester Zuul. All the rest are for the most part pretty nice when not engaged in wholesale slaughter of each other. A race of xenophobic conquerors might sound like the Zuul, but we can equally put 'civilized empire' to the others, so there is room for more.
Every time you use 'fluff' for lore a Kerberos developer dies. And they are already an endangered species.

DarkCecilo

Post by DarkCecilo » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:33 pm

I don't know about that. Every race we have seen thus far has been pretty drastically different from each other. From Apes, to Lizards, to Bugs, to Space..Whale..Dolphin things, to.. Dog.. things, to Space Dragon Crows.

Since this universe seems to based in the grounds of "Logic prevails!" Either we'd end up with just a very different type of bug. Or it would be impossible. You can't change genetics THAT much. I don't think they work that way.

Disclaimer : Descriptions of races are meant for Satire. I know they aren't just bugs, lizards, dolphins, dogs or crows/dragons.

Tarrak

Post by Tarrak » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:38 pm

Humans and Tarka aren't that different looked at from the outside. It is the classic sci-fi matchup. And that doesn't detract one bit, in fact it makes it more fun to me.
And we have the Prester Zuul who are not at all different from Horde Zuul... yet.
However, it is only one of several options, and this thread is about the Suul'ka.
Every time you use 'fluff' for lore a Kerberos developer dies. And they are already an endangered species.

That Schmuck

Post by That Schmuck » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:04 pm

I thought the youngest-oldest dichotomy with The Eldest had more to do with the Usurper being, by far, the youngest Suul'ka. Not to mention the latest. Though, using hordes of a genetically engineered race that's only been around a few hundred years is pretty young too.

That Schmuck

Post by That Schmuck » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:10 am

Well, since I was wrong about that, and we now have 7 suul'ka with 7 sets of hordlings fighting each other empire, and the Usurper isn't actually summonable yet... next year's expansion will have whatever that race is fighting the Usurper?

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:08 am

TS, I've PM'ed you about this.

PLEASE stop it.

Thanks,

The Management
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

Naja
Doomsayer

Post by Naja » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:45 am

A couple questions about the Immortal:

- His description says that he is capable of "crimes and cruelties" that are incomprehensible to other sentients. Considering that "other sentients" include folks like the Siren and Bloodweaver, who mentally coerced male Morrigi into killing their own wives and children and created a race of bloodthirsty killers just for kicks, that sounds pretty nasty. Are there any examples of particularly diabolical things old Bones & Armor has done that are even worse than the Suul'Ka crimes we know about?

- I think I remember reading that the Eldest's Xombie Plague infection was an assassination attempt on him. By whom? Does it have any connection to the Gardeners or the Proteans?

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:34 pm

The xombie plague actually was an Elder Race creation.

The Bloodweaver however is the one who "rediscovered" it on a remote world and brought it back into the universe after dipping some Zuuls in the planet's atmosphere so he could later experiment on it.

He consider it a "work of art" and like any art, he consider it a crime not to share it with the universe as his agents secretly spread knowledge of it.

Now as to who inected the Eldest with it..... who knows? Though you now know of a Suul'ka involved -with- it.

manty5

Post by manty5 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:43 am

I'm still reading the back posts for this thread (lots and lots and lots), but wouldn't "the youngest must defeat the eldest" imply the Loa as being the youngest race must do this thing?

The end of flesh versus... the one whose flesh has ended.

Poetic, even.

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:38 am

Ludovsky wrote:The xombie plague actually was an Elder Race creation.

The Bloodweaver however is the one who "rediscovered" it on a remote world and brought it back into the universe after dipping some Zuuls in the planet's atmosphere so he could later experiment on it.

He consider it a "work of art" and like any art, he consider it a crime not to share it with the universe as his agents secretly spread knowledge of it.

Now as to who inected the Eldest with it..... who knows? Though you now know of a Suul'ka involved -with- it.

Keep the time line in mind. The Bloodweaver dipped Zuul into the atmosphere. They haven't be around that long.

So he can only have discovered it relatively recent, at least on a Suul'ka time scale.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

under_khan

Post by under_khan » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:33 pm

Azrael Ultima wrote:
Ludovsky wrote:The xombie plague actually was an Elder Race creation.

Keep the time line in mind. The Bloodweaver dipped Zuul into the atmosphere. They haven't be around that long.

So he can only have discovered it relatively recent, at least on a Suul'ka time scale.

I dont think it means it has to be a recent discovery. What if Bloodweaver had created the zuul centuries ago and the ones they dropped on Irridia V were a batch that progress differently then the rest. IIRC we don't know anything about the homeworld the Zuul come from, and i would find it easy to think Bloodweaver would keep samples of his work with him in some capacity.

Xantalos

Post by Xantalos » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:19 am

Just a question I was pondering: why is it that a Liir has to be evil in order to go into space Suul'ka style? It's been shown that a Liir elder can ascend to the void without enslaving the entire race in the Black. Admittedly he did go up there to kill everything, but it shows that it can be done without psychically enslaving your entire species and becoming the biggest narciccist this side of Narcissius. So why did none of the Suul'ka ask their brethren to make them a suit so they could go up into the void and hang around at the edge of the atmosphere, watching over the kids from above? Eventually, more elders would go up to join them and they'd form a little club, hanging out above Muur discussing whatever really old Liir discuss.
So why did none of them do that and instead enslave the entire species? The Liir seem empathetic enough to do that for one of their elders.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:28 am

You have to have a very specific reason to say no to death. Even the Black must borrow life that he is not entitled to, in order to pursue the Suul'ka. There would be no way to excuse those lives, that borrowed energy, unless there was a greater good, a greater responsibility involved.

The difference between the Black and the Suul'ka is that the Black does not say "never".

He says "Not quite yet."

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

Xantalos

Post by Xantalos » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:42 am

Erinys wrote:You have to have a very specific reason to say no to death. Even the Black must borrow life that he is not entitled to, in order to pursue the Suul'ka. There would be no way to excuse those lives, that borrowed energy, unless there was a greater good, a greater responsibility involved.

The difference between the Black and the Suul'ka is that the Black does not say "never".

He says "Not quite yet."

--Arinn

Truth be told, I'm not sure of what that means. Is it that by going into space and becoming effectively immortal, are the elder Liir consciously considering the fact that they will possibly kill sentients in the future, and thus let themselves die to spare potential people thousands of years down the line? Or am I forgetting to tend to my vessel's need for periods of unconsciousness again, resulting in decreased mental faculty?
If any of this seems offensive, none intended. I tend to get a little stilted in my language when sleep-deprived.

Return to “The Lore”