SUUL'KA

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

erdrik

Re: SUUL'KA

Post by erdrik » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:53 am

Suul'ka(and the black) must feed off of the energies of other sentients to sustain themselves enough to be active.(Psi energy IIRC?)
Its not a matter of: "I might kill someone so this is bad" as much as: "If I do this, I'll need to feed on others to survive so it damn well better be worth it".

Xantalos

Post by Xantalos » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:57 am

erdrik wrote:Suul'ka(and the black) must feed off of the energies of other sentients to sustain themselves enough to be active.(Psi energy IIRC?)
Its not a matter of: "I might kill someone so this is bad" as much as: "If I do this, I'll need to feed on others to survive so it damn well better be worth it".

I was rather unaware of this. That makes more sense now. So in order to become immortal, you must be willing to cause the death of infinite people. No wonder they're Suul'ka.
Course, I'd probably go for it if I were feeling callous enough that day.

Naja
Doomsayer

Post by Naja » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:11 am

Xantalos wrote:Just a question I was pondering: why is it that a Liir has to be evil in order to go into space Suul'ka style? It's been shown that a Liir elder can ascend to the void without enslaving the entire race in the Black. Admittedly he did go up there to kill everything, but it shows that it can be done without psychically enslaving your entire species and becoming the biggest narciccist this side of Narcissius. So why did none of the Suul'ka ask their brethren to make them a suit so they could go up into the void and hang around at the edge of the atmosphere, watching over the kids from above? Eventually, more elders would go up to join them and they'd form a little club, hanging out above Muur discussing whatever really old Liir discuss.
So why did none of them do that and instead enslave the entire species? The Liir seem empathetic enough to do that for one of their elders.

Short answer: Because for a Liir Great Elder to sustain themselves forever, they have to feed off the life force of other sentients like a vampire. The Black stays dormant most of the time to avoid this as much as possible.

Longer answer: Because everything has to eventually die and become pure Song again. To defy the universe and hold the preservation of one's ego above all else is the epitome of narcissism.

levi_Will

Post by levi_Will » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:46 am

Earlier on you said the youngest must defeat the eldest.

Now, with the reveal of the Loa, does that mean it was them? Or was that meant in time?
Mecron wrote:wow levi...you are previewing AND being a sarcasm master at the same time. Double awesome :thumbsup:

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:14 am

Yes, I meant the Loa. I was being inscrutable and prophetic.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

Naja
Doomsayer

Post by Naja » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:18 am

So if memory serves, these factions have selected these Suul'Ka as their mortal foes:

Eldest: Loa
Hidden: SolForce
Bloodweaver and Siren: Morrigi
Kraken: ?
Cannibal: Hivers
Deaf: ?

The Tarka call the Kraken "Man of War," so perhaps there's a connection there?

And killing all the Suul'Ka is the entire point of the Liirian Empire, unless there's one particular Suul'Ka they have a special hatred for?

And finally, is anyone fated to take on the Usurper?

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:21 pm

I can't give away ALL the spoilers. :P

--Arinn

vaccum_pony

Post by vaccum_pony » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:58 pm

The upcoming NecroCyber faction..?
- - - -

Shed not a tear for humanity, go fetch my stars.

Vaccum Pony

levi_Will

Post by levi_Will » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:28 pm

Thematically, I'd assume the Tarka, with their military nature would be fighting the War Giant, Kraken.

And I guess there's some... I don't want to say irony since I know that word is butchered by English, but justice in the deaf, being closed off to the universe being beaten by the unity of Liir and Zuul.

Though, hopefully, some of the Suul'ka would survive or even succeed in something, kinda feels mehish that the giant terror of the universe that tormented 2 races and created the third gets killed off like a boss rush.
Mecron wrote:wow levi...you are previewing AND being a sarcasm master at the same time. Double awesome :thumbsup:

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:40 pm

Sometimes the greatest danger posed by a monster is not the monster. It's what you become to fight the monster.

--Arinn

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:14 pm

Erinys wrote:Sometimes the greatest danger posed by a monster is not the monster. It's what you become to fight the monster.

--Arinn

And now I'm wondering if this actually relate to a certain "Prince" we've already heard of.... or something yet to be known.

Then again, when one looks at some of the techs in the new cybernetic tree(though that was mostly developped in response to the loas iirc), and a few other things, I can't help but wonder if it's something we just have overlooked that may just leave us stunned once it happens/is revealed.

War1910

Post by War1910 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:22 pm

The Goddess of Lore also mentioned in another thread that the Loa can be food for something else...
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure...

Naja
Doomsayer

Post by Naja » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:51 pm

War1910 wrote:The Goddess of Lore also mentioned in another thread that the Loa can be food for something else...

Could you please provide the link?

War1910

Post by War1910 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:50 am

Naja wrote:
War1910 wrote:The Goddess of Lore also mentioned in another thread that the Loa can be food for something else...

Could you please provide the link?

Found it here

Erinys wrote:It is arguably the case that Loa do not "have" life force because they ARE life force--beings of pure spirit, comprised of energy and data. But their form of life is very different from carbon-based life, and it operates on another frequency than conventional carbon psionics.

The universe is not a one-stringed instrument. Carbon-based life forms are plentiful, but they are not the only form of life and their entire Song is played upon only one string. Mecha empaths can hear the frequencies of other forms of matter; this is what gives them the special abilities and aptitudes that they possess, the connection to objects made of stone and steel.

It is true that Suul'ka cannot eat Loa, and that Loa have a tendency to disrupt their sources of food. But that does not mean that Loa cannot be food for anything else. This is not the case.

--Arinn

I always make a point of reading Erinys' posts just so i can get more of a background on the story (can't wait until the Lore and the Black section book comes!!)
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure...

Naja
Doomsayer

Post by Naja » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:16 am

Far out, thanks.

Return to “The Lore”