SUUL'KA

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

vaccum_pony

Re: SUUL'KA

Post by vaccum_pony » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:53 am

I wonder if the next faction will have some "upper hand" trait over the Loa...
- - - -

Shed not a tear for humanity, go fetch my stars.

Vaccum Pony

Naja
Doomsayer

Post by Naja » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:00 pm

Has Cannibal ever "eaten" a younger Suul'Ka?

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:57 pm

Yes. He is one of the reasons that the Siren became "lonely". Because "lonely" to the Siren means "afraid of being alone".

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

theSmallerFish

Post by theSmallerFish » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:22 pm

I'm guessing that given he's spent 270,000 years cruising the universe pursuing his considerable appetite, it's probably easier to list the things we have heard of that the Cannibal has not eaten :?.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:08 am

Indeed. ;)

--Arinn

theSmallerFish

Post by theSmallerFish » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:08 pm

Provisionally I'd guess that list goes something like this:
Stars (although he might have tried slicing up a white dwarf and chewing on the chunks)
Large Planets (not small ones, I'd guess he describes asteroids as crunchy, and rather flavourless)

And thats about it really. I did consider adding the System Killer to the list, but I'm pretty sure there used to be more than one of those :D.

As for why he ate these things, I'd guess that the Cannibal doesn't need a reason beyond 'it was there', or possibly 'because I hadn't eaten one of those yet'.
Of course as a rule I think he prefers living things, they taste better, and it's funny when they scream, but I think he'll try anything once :?.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:15 pm

The Cannibal cannot eat anything without a carbon-based life force. The Loa would not be pleased to find that he had found a frequency modulator that made him able to consume them.

--Arinn

theSmallerFish

Post by theSmallerFish » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:25 pm

Interesting. I guess that means nutritional value at least does matter to him, he doesn't eat things that wouldn't sustain him, implying a far deeper urge than just the need to fill his belly :shock:.

Does that mean that spectres are on the same 'wavelength' as carbonites, or did he find them unsatifying after the first bite or two?

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:28 pm

Yes. Spectres are the exact same wavelength as carbonites, but without the blood, bones, and skin. They're like...tofu. Or jello, pudding, something of that nature. Take your pick.

--Arinn

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:57 pm

Erinys wrote:Yes. Spectres are the exact same wavelength as carbonites, but without the blood, bones, and skin. They're like...tofu. Or jello, pudding, something of that nature. Take your pick.

--Arinn

Uhu... interesting...
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

theSmallerFish

Post by theSmallerFish » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:33 pm

Ok, I thought I'd have a go at trying to understand how one of the Suul'ka thinks. This is probably a bad idea in general (do not attempt to empathize with ancient sociopathic abominations), and it's delving pretty deep into speculation, so as a warning tinfoil hats should be worn beyond this point.

The extremely flimsy foundation I'm building all this speculation from, is that the Siren chooses to retain a female persona. For a Suul'ka, or even a Liir elder, to retain a female persona is fairly unusual, and for a Liir, or even an ex-Liir cosmic abomination, being female brings with it some quite specific connotations. For the Liir there doesn't seem to be a possibility of a female in a masculine role, or a male in a feminine role, your gender and the role you choose are essentially the same thing for them.

For a Liir, being female seems to be very heavily associated with motherhood and nurturing, and this, I think, might be the key to understanding the Siren. All of the Suul'ka were once the great elder of Muur, essentially a teacher, leader, and mentor to the whole planet. While a male great elder might be more of a paternalistic protector, a female great elder might be characterised as more like a planetary 'mommy'. She advises and teaches the younger Liir while listening to their problems and little heartbreaks, she bandages their (metaphorical) skinned knees and reassures them that there are no monsters under the bed. Of course that makes it sound like I'm trivializing the problems of the younger liir, but to a great elder those problems probably do seem quite trivial. I would guess that an increasing inability to relate to the problems of the younger liir might be part of what makes them go mad. After a few centuries of wiping psychic snotty noses you might snap too.

The thing is, I would expect a female great elder who started down the path to becoming a Suul'ka because she couldn't stand the demands of the younger liir, to cast off her 'mommy' persona, and hence abandon her female identity. But that didn't happen with the Siren. Even after enslaving the liir, forcing them to make her immortal, and then rampaging through the universe for a few hundred millenia, she still considers herself to be 'mommy'. I think the reason for that could be quite simple, second only to her desire to keep living, the Siren wants to be loved, and who could be more beloved than the mother of an entire world? While the Siren wanted desperately to live, she didn't hate being the great elder of Muur like some of the Suul'ka did, in fact I think she loved it, and she wishes she could be loved like that again.

Of course that might give the impression that the Siren wants the Liir to forgive her for all she's done, but I don't think that's accurate at all. I think it would be more accurate to say that the Siren wants the Liir to beg for her forgiveness, it wasn't her fault that all of this happened. It wasn't her fault that she enslaved and brutalized the liir, they were wicked children who were willing to let their mother die, until eventually she was forced to make them save her.

On that basis I would guess that, on top of loneliness, the Siren returns to Muur to tempt other elders for two reasons. The first is that by becoming a Suul'ka, a great elder is (in the Siren's mind at least) admitting that she was right to defy death, and the that the liir were wrong for trying to deny her that. I think that to have even one of her 'children' admit that they were in the wrong in that ancient and bitter disagreement would make the Siren very happy indeed. The second reason is simpler but in some ways more subtle, she wants to be loved, but in coming to Muur the Siren is looking for a very specific kind of love: she wants to be a mother again.

She wants to be there when a brand new Suul'ka makes its first jump to orbit and looks out at the universe with fresh eyes. She wants to be there when that terrible new creature is born, and to know that she made that happen. Above all she wants that newly reborn Suul'ka to love her for giving it this new life.

That might even explain why the Siren is such a powerful coercer, she has spent a lot of time trying to figure out how she can make someone love her, whether they want to or not. That could explain how she was able to permanently control whole fleets. She doesn't need to operate her victims like puppets, whatever horribly mutilated gestalt lives inside a Screamer ship, it loves her completely. Once she has warped a mind like that, she doesn't need to control it anymore, all she has to do is ask, and they will obey.

She learned to do this, because she dreams of the day when she will be powerful enough to make the liir, and perhaps all of the other races of the universe, love her as she believes they should :shock:.

(As a side note: this is basically the lore equivalent of waving a copper rod around in a thunderstorm to try find out what Zeus thinks of your theology thesis, so any lightning bolts from our resident goddess of lore would be very much appreciated :noid:).

under_khan

Post by under_khan » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:23 am

come on Zeus, STRIKE!!

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:30 am

*shrug* One can speculate, certainly. ;)

--Arinn

NuclearHuggz

Post by NuclearHuggz » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:04 pm

Is there any chance we will be getting any information about the Suul'ka The Black killed prior to SotS prime? I would be interested in hearing about what zany antics those mischievous little scallywags got up to before they were, you know, crushed/ripped apart and then thrown into stars.

Also, I've been wondering: How exactly do The Black and The Usurper feel about one another? And what would happen if they ever found themselves face to face?
XImageXImage

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:27 pm

I figure the Usurper might shrug off any accusations from the Black regarding the Usurper, by the Usurper simply claming he is doing "What needed to be done", in a form of accusation against the Black.

Meanwhile I'd probably imagine the Black being simply disgusted.... or pitying of the Usurper.

What would happen after that, that I wouldn't know... though I figure that either way it wouldn't be pretty.

Return to “The Lore”