SolForce Marines. (SoTS II Era)

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

WireWolf

SolForce Marines. (SoTS II Era)

Post by WireWolf » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:22 am

I've been wondering on what changes the SolForce Marine Corps has undergone over the span from SoTS I to SoTS II.
A few things seem evident, mainly the inclusion of Combat Psi-Users but what about the actual hardware and weapons systems?
Not to mention what sort of iterations of the Brawler Suits we have now and the possibilty of genetic/cybernetic/biotech enhancements human soldiers might have recieved as well.
Of course I have my own ideas on how Brawler suits should be utilized in this current era. :3

WireWolf

Re: SolForce Marines. (SoTS II Era)

Post by WireWolf » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:10 am

Hmmmmm....Decided to make several conjectures. Based off the new Psi-Tech tree and the strong possibilty of Combat Psi-Users and the fact that it says Marines can utilize Telekinetic abilties for use of boarding operations how do you think this would affect the marines?
And how would they achieve being active Telekines? Psi-Amps maybe?

A Marine in a Brawler suit throwing objects at Tarka Soldiers or using their abilties to fling grenades around corners or obtructions is a scary thought.
Hell depending on the power level of the marine in question it's likely they could fling enemy troopers around or mess around with their equipment....Or just pull the pins to a string of grenades or trigger breaching charges or the like.

Makes for some interesting combat scenarios....

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:52 pm

Psi Corps operatives in general are far too valuable to be wired into a brawler. Any ape can climb into the suit and do the job of a gropo; you don't have to be able to "kill people with your brain" when you've got that much ordinance bolted to your body.

Among Humans, Telekinetic ability is relatively rare, and the first wave of Telekinetics will not be immediately thrown onto the front lines as cannon fodder.

The major changes to the Brawl suit over the last century have been refinements, not radical re-design. The modern Marine gets better armor for a lot less weight, and the suit is both stronger and faster than it was in the old days; it's much more competitive with Tarkasian battle armor. Beyond that, a brawler is a brawler. ;)

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

WireWolf

Post by WireWolf » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:58 am

Ah, understood.
It was just when I read the Fluffy Bits to the Combat Telekinetics it mentioned Marines using said abilities in boarding actions.

But yeah I'm a firm believer in there's no such thing as overkill. :3
So when the idea of putting a Psi-Capable Marine into a suit of Power Armor that has a powerful Psi-Amp attached to it along with getting a powerful gun my imagination tends to run wild with all sorts of possibilities.

What about Cyber/Bio/Genetic enhancements?
Giving marines such enhancements would be quite useful.

Myomer Muscle replacement or even vat-grown synthetic muscles, Bones lacing with carbon or ceramics, implanted commlinks or other bits of hardware? What about replacing part of the marines spinal column with super-conducting material?

Yes I am a huge proponent of augmentation in fiction. :3
The humans easily have the tech to make super-soldiers without having to put soldiers in a Brawler Suit...Imagine for a minute if they built a brawler suit with a Augmented Marine in mind?

Oh and any major changes from the original brawler suit to the current one?
What about Offensive Armor? Giving anyone who touches the armor a pretty nasty electrical shock. It'd be good in close combat situations.
Or Ablative Patches a soldier can slap on and re-apply inbetween firefights?
Or Chameleon Coating that lets the wearer change the color-scheme of the suit if need be?
One minute having it in that fancy red with white trimming color from the one cutscene and in the next second it turns into a woodland camouflage pattern or void black for Void-Work?
What about Tactical Networks and Drones?

Sorry I just love P.A. and the stuff I've found on Human Power Armor on the old SoTS Wiki is real classic stuff. :D

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:02 pm

These details might come out in the SotS rpg, but aren't really relevant to a game with the scale of SotS 2. :)

--Arinn

WireWolf

Post by WireWolf » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:22 pm

Wait...RPG? :3
That sounds fun. :D

But yeah. Awwww. :(
No more details on the armor?

What about augmentations?

arglabarg

Post by arglabarg » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:07 pm

Erinys wrote:Psi Corps operatives in general are far too valuable to be wired into a brawler.

--Arinn

We've already seen both of the other innately psychic species in combat, and how devastating their abilities can be against the average grunt. Sadly* I don't think the Morrigi officially existed when you were writing those scenes. They may not have the raw firepower of the Zuul and Liir, but can the Morrigi use their glamour in combat? Could a Morrigi walk past a bored sentry without notice? Could a male Morrigi convince a squad that was actively looking for him that they couldn't see him, even if he was in plain sight? Is glamour limited to other beings' perception of the Morrigi himself, or can it be used to mess with other elements of perception too?

*Sadly for me as I am obviously a fan of psychic bird dragons with a yen for shiny things.

Formid

Post by Formid » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:04 pm

Erinys wrote:These details might come out in the SotS rpg

I will fund this with gusto if you do it. Console, pen and paper, whatever form it might take.

And a question about the psi corps: Is the corps mother? Is the corps father?

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:54 pm

They are not Demolished Men per se, no. ;)

--Arinn

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:55 pm

arglabarg wrote:They may not have the raw firepower of the Zuul and Liir, but can the Morrigi use their glamour in combat? Could a Morrigi walk past a bored sentry without notice? Could a male Morrigi convince a squad that was actively looking for him that they couldn't see him, even if he was in plain sight? Is glamour limited to other beings' perception of the Morrigi himself, or can it be used to mess with other elements of perception too?

Yes, yes, sometimes, and sometimes. In that order.

--Arinn

Return to “The Lore”