Hiver & Tarka Handbooks

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

twentypence

Hiver & Tarka Handbooks

Post by twentypence » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:24 pm

Over the years Erinys has provided us with a wealth of background material in comments throughout these forums. Now 5 years worth of fantastic information is spread accross numerous threads and it's quite difficult to track it all down.

So I've done my best to compile as much of it as possible into one document per race. Hopefully fans of Hivers & Tarkas new and old will find these a useful resource that will save a bit of forum searching.

As this is my interpretation of Erinys' comments, I hope you can appreciate that there may be mistakes in here (I am a mere mortal attempting to paraphrase the goddess). Anything posted by Erinys is of course the correct information rather than what you'll find here.

The documents can currently be downloaded via these links:
http://furoma.com/uploads/Hiver%20Handbook.pdf
http://furoma.com/uploads/Tarka%20Handbook.pdf

As I say, I hope some of you find this of use. Please let me know of any omissions / mistakes that you spot and I'll attempt to keep it relatively up to date.

Thank you so much to the whole Kerberos team, for creating such a rich and detailed universe that inspires your players.
Last edited by twentypence on Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Formid

Re: Hiver Handbook

Post by Formid » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:47 pm

You are a gentleman and scholar sir. Feel free to share the sweet nectar from my communal crop.

Sagerk

Post by Sagerk » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:08 pm

Amazing collection and much appreciated!

twentypence

Post by twentypence » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:26 am

Glad you're finding it useful. :)

Mormoran

Post by Mormoran » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:54 pm

Many princes and queens shall write poems in your honor sir. Much appreciated.

Here's one:

Though no avatar
He creates one great piece
Goddess is honored

(I think that's the correct number of syllables D:)
I'm a newb!

http://mormoran.blogspot.com/

I got a blog now!

Apostus

Post by Apostus » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:03 am

Awesome stuff. :D Reading through it now since I'm new to the world of SotS. ^^

Formid

Post by Formid » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:59 am

I think I discovered a small conflict in the lore. (A single periphery detail in a vast world building exorcize spread over the span of years has an inconsistency? Shocking news at eleven)

Early on in this document it states that a Hiver princess naturally lays a certain number of eggs predestined to be warriors, though environmental conditions can influence the proportion. Later on it fairly consistently states that Hivers (besides Princesses) have their caste determined post hatching through varying environmental conditions, feeding, external and genetic manipulation, etc...

So which is it? Or is it both, to an extent? It need not be a simple genetic determinance either way. Most ant queens' first broods produce workers that are invariably much smaller and more skittish than later children, and simulating starting conditions in an older queen does not cause her to again produce these 'nanitics'. But as far as I know there is no major genetic difference between the first eggs she lays and the ones laid when the colony is well established.

twentypence

Post by twentypence » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:49 pm

Formid wrote:I think I discovered a small conflict in the lore. (A single periphery detail in a vast world building exorcize spread over the span of years has an inconsistency? Shocking news at eleven)

Early on in this document it states that a Hiver princess naturally lays a certain number of eggs predestined to be warriors, though environmental conditions can influence the proportion. Later on it fairly consistently states that Hivers (besides Princesses) have their caste determined post hatching through varying environmental conditions, feeding, external and genetic manipulation, etc...

"The eggs she produces are largely generic when they leave her body" - first said in Jul-06 and repeated again in Jul-11.
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=20291&p=314703#p314703

"It is natural for Hivers to produce a certain proportion of warrior eggs. The ratio can be affected by the mother's stress levels, as well as via conscious control and meditation." - Apr-09
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=673&p=211178#p211178

To me "largely generic" implies that not all eggs are generic, just most of them are. It would be interesting to know if Warriors that get this extra "head start" have advantages later in life.

twentypence

Post by twentypence » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:58 pm

Mormoran wrote:Many princes and queens shall write poems in your honor sir. Much appreciated.

Here's one:

Though no avatar
He creates one great piece
Goddess is honored

(I think that's the correct number of syllables D:)

Thank you, don't think I've ever had a haiku written for me before. :)

Apostus

Post by Apostus » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:09 pm

Finished reading it and have to say it was awesome! Really got me hooked on the Hivers as a race... Is it possible we'll see similar works about other races as well from you? Or do you specalize in hiverology? ;)

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:45 pm

:headbang:

Yes. This will teach me a lesson for certain.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

Apostus

Post by Apostus » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:35 pm

Erinys wrote::headbang:

Yes. This will teach me a lesson for certain.

--Arinn

Realised that I made it sound like he had invented it all, I should've asked if I could see compilations like this of the info around rather. ;)

Arinn, since I'm fairly new.. Is it you that's written most of the lore? Or perhaps your team.. If you're involved at all that is.. Either way, it's brilliant.

EDIT: Just realised all of it, or most of it, was available in the Hiver thread.. :oops: Serves me right for only checking the manual more or less. :googly:

The Apprentice

Post by The Apprentice » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:00 am

Erinys has been consistently credited with the creation of all the Lore for the various Races- which I believe she fully fleshed out initially as well?

Someone else probably recalls more correctly, but (paraphrasing) Mecron said, "We need a Human entry, an Insect entry, a Lizard entry, and an Aquatic entry. Please create."

I don't know how far in advance the details for the Zuul and Morrigi were sketched in.

Edit: Since you are new, Erinys also created a lot of the backstory in the Arcanum manual, and (with Mecron?) the Homeworld game. She has quite the pedigree when it comes to world creation.
Feel free to call me App- it's shorter.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:36 am

I am always glad that people enjoy the work. And yes, it is generally true that I am the only person who creates Lore for this game and its universe, writes all the background fiction etc.. I try to give specific credit on the rare occasions when another member of the team has created a character or otherwise contributed to Lore content, as people will see when they activate their Horde DLC for example: artist John Yakimow was the originator of the "Seven Greatfathers" of Sword of the Stars 2.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

twentypence

Post by twentypence » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:55 am

Apostus wrote:Realised that I made it sound like he had invented it all, I should've asked if I could see compilations like this of the info around rather. ;)

Arinn, since I'm fairly new.. Is it you that's written most of the lore? Or perhaps your team.. If you're involved at all that is.. Either way, it's brilliant.

EDIT: Just realised all of it, or most of it, was available in the Hiver thread.. :oops: Serves me right for only checking the manual more or less. :googly:

I'm currently putting together a compliation of Erinys' comments on the Tarka, about half way through that and hoping to be done this side of the new year.

To give you an idea of just how much Erinys has written, when I first copied and pasted all of her comments that involved Hivers into the document it was three times the size of the finished one.

And that's just one of six races.
And doesn't include comments on Black List entities.
And just included comments that I deemed to have a strong lore element.

I personally am very grateful for just how much extra effort Erinys has put in to answering questions for, and discussing topics with the community.

Thank you Erinys.

Return to “The Lore”