Hiver & Tarka Handbooks

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

Apostus

Re: Hiver Handbook

Post by Apostus » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:50 am

Erinys wrote:I am always glad that people enjoy the work. And yes, it is generally true that I am the only person who creates Lore for this game and its universe, writes all the background fiction etc.. I try to give specific credit on the rare occasions when another member of the team has created a character or otherwise contributed to Lore content, as people will see when they activate their Horde DLC for example: artist John Yakimow was the originator of the "Seven Greatfathers" of Sword of the Stars 2.

--Arinn

Holy fraps! You, generally, wrote all of it yourself? :o I have to say.. I've been a gamer for a great many years, and this games lore is probably the most original och interesting I've ever come across. Of course, there are games with lore that is interesting, well written, and somewhat manages to avoid most of the clichés, but to me the races and lore of SotS really stand out in both originality, innovation and quality.

twentypence wrote:<snip>
I personally am very grateful for just how much extra effort Erinys has put in to answering questions for, and discussing topics with the community.

Thank you Erinys.

That's a huge amount of work, and I have to say I am very impressed.. Knowing now that Erinys/Arinn more or less handle the lore herself I'm even more impressed, especially with her time answering questions. Personally, I'm a lore-junkie, and having someone that answers questions and thoughts is worth a lot.

I too am very grateful and glad you take your time with us Erinys. And with the risk of sounding like an echo of twentypence, thank you for that, and thank you for creating this incredible interesting lore. :D

Patrick2160

Post by Patrick2160 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:40 pm

I again wish to Thank Erinys/Arinn for the time she has put into the lore for the Sword of the Stars universe, And for the extremely well Written novel she wrote(AKA: The Deacon's Tale). Also I have 2 questions: 1. does the commercial reprint of the Deacon's Tale have any new content? 2. Can We Expect to see anymore novels?
Formerly Railgunner2160, Lost that accounts information.......

twentypence

Post by twentypence » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:14 pm

Patrick2160 wrote:Also I have 2 questions: 1. does the commercial reprint of the Deacon's Tale have any new content?

Yes it does, there's not only some extra scenes in the book, but there are some fantastic appendicies that have a load of new information for us lore lovers. :D

The Apprentice

Post by The Apprentice » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:21 pm

Re #2, this thread (viewtopic.php?f=37&t=21513&start=105) is where Arinn has posted information about the sales needed to write another book (she also indicated she has a Hiver plot outlined to a degree). I believe she stated another book depends on sales of the first, and that the decision will likely be made in Jan 2012.
Feel free to call me App- it's shorter.

Formid

Post by Formid » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:06 pm

Speaking of, what's this job like? I imagine it must be really fun. I love world building. Though actually approaching a complete, coherent world; in as much as that is possible, is pretty difficult.

twentypence

Post by twentypence » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:55 am

Just finished compiling all of Erinys' comments on the Tarka:

http://furoma.com/uploads/Tarka%20Handbook.pdf

My thanks once again to Erinys for providing us with so much information on some unique and interesting alien races.

Formid

Post by Formid » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:20 pm

Might want to make a new topic for that. Tarka fans might not be reading this thread.

Because they're jealous of their chitin-clad superiors, you see.

twentypence

Post by twentypence » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:59 pm

Formid wrote:Might want to make a new topic for that. Tarka fans might not be reading this thread.

Because they're jealous of their chitin-clad superiors, you see.

Thanks for the reminder, I've edited the title of this thread to make it more obvious for the Tarka fans to find. :)

blackstar

Re: Hiver & Tarka Handbooks

Post by blackstar » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:36 pm

Are you going to do this for all the races? :insane:

twentypence

Post by twentypence » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:17 pm

blackstar wrote:Are you going to do this for all the races? :insane:

The original plan was to do one for the four original races and one for the black list entries.

I think any more than that will depend on how much time I have spare before I change jobs at work and of course, anything that Kerberos might decide to release. :)

Mr Hyena

Post by Mr Hyena » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:14 am

It'd be really cool to have something like these handbooks for the Zuul as its hard trying to gather together all of their fluff.

feld
Cassandra

Post by feld » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:18 pm

Mr Hyena wrote:It'd be really cool to have something like these handbooks for the Zuul as its hard trying to gather together all of their fluff.

Just a thing I have seen other people run afoul of on these boards. Folk who devote hours of their lives to writing background for games tend to find the term "fluff"...disrespectful to their efforts. It may read to them like an insult or a diminutive. Since the game has at least one dedicated lore writer in Ms. Arinn Dembo, I am pretty sure that there is at least one person here who reasonably could have been offended.

I know the term is in common usage and I actually used it for a years myself before marrying a writer got me out of the habit. Not trying to correct you here. I'm not responsible for anything on this particular board but my own behavior.

Just trying to let you know where the mines are. You can still sail over them if you want to! Look on the bright side, maybe the detonators are waterlogged...

v/r
feld

Formid

Post by Formid » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:42 am

Yeah, fell into the same trap myself. Had never really considered it a derogatory term before so I know most of the people saying it mean nothing by it. But really if you think about it it does seem rather...dismissive.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:17 pm

As I've said before, I try not to take offense when people clearly are not trying to be offensive. Yes, there's no doubt that "fluff" is a dismissive/derogatory term, and has been since the beginning of its use in gaming culture, but I'm not a great crusader on the subject. So long as you're not actually trying to be a jerk, I see no reason to cause trouble. It's certainly shorter to type than "background fiction" (although "lore" is actually shorter! :P ).

I don't use the word myself and if people ask me about it I'll certainly explain why. But it doesn't become an explosive topic until someone starts lecturing me about it. ;)

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

Return to “The Lore”