Cross species romance?

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

xanos

Cross species romance?

Post by xanos » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:33 pm

Is there such a thing in the SoTS universe?

On planets that share populations can a Human and a Liir fall in love? A Morrigi female and a Hiver prince?

Mika

Re: Cross species romance?

Post by Mika » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:44 pm

Well, in the novel Cai Rui (human) was pretty seriously involved with Sara (Tarka). Or at least had been in the past.

And I imagine the Morrigi male Glamour causes awkward moments from time to time. :lol:
Michael, speaking for Boskone

fibio

Post by fibio » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:01 pm

"Umm, what the hell is that thing?"
Buy my book - Six Seconds of Moonlight on the kindle store.

Anyone can be a god beneath the moonlight, but who can be a hero?

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:00 pm

Some sort of emotional involvement can exist between any two sentients. Cai Rui feels something akin to romantic love for one Tarka; he feels bonds of brotherhood and friendship for another.

Hivers can also form emotional attachments to non-Hivers, if the proper content for those feelings arises. The emotions take the shape that are biologically natural to the species. Ziggy the Hiver formed deep emotional attachments to the colonists of Spica, for example, and felt a very typically Hiver love for the family that raised him, particularly the mother of the family.

So yes, it is hypothetically possible for a person who can feel romantic love--a Human, a Liir, a Hiver royal, a Tarka etc--to feel that love for a person of another species. Even a Morrigi female, I guess, if you were into "spooky chicks".

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

Scynix

Post by Scynix » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:17 am

I like Erinys (Arinns?) response.

Makes sense species wouldn't determine whether or not they could feel affection towards someone.

People are (very) often drawn to the things that make another person unique.

Though considering each societies histories, it sounds like a huge prejudice issue just waiting to happen.

Even if you couldn't reproduce or engage in that .. what's the appropriate phrase, level of romance, I could still see communities (maybe even worlds?) looking down on a relationship between two different species. I can't imagine being friends with a Hiver as a human gets you a lot of positive looks in some parts of the universe.

Though it could make for an incredibly amusing story if a female Morrigi tried to glamour a Human or a Tarka male for some reason- some quirky personality. Maybe that's what sitcoms are at the current lore time frame? Hopefully they've just gotten rid of television at this point. >_>
“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” ~ Winston Churchill

Mika

Post by Mika » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:03 pm

Scynix wrote:Though it could make for an incredibly amusing story if a female Morrigi tried to glamour a Human or a Tarka male for some reason- some quirky personality. Maybe that's what sitcoms are at the current lore time frame? Hopefully they've just gotten rid of television at this point. >_>

That would be kind of mean of her, since female Morrigi have a fear inducing Glamour. Most people who aren't Morrigi, think the dragon ladies look quite intimidating enough without the psychic upgrade.

It's just the crow boys that need to cheat to attract attention. :P
Michael, speaking for Boskone

Tssha

Post by Tssha » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:08 am

Erinys wrote:So yes, it is hypothetically possible for a person who can feel romantic love--a Human, a Liir, a Hiver royal, a Tarka etc--to feel that love for a person of another species. Even a Morrigi female, I guess, if you were into "spooky chicks".

I'm into Goth chicks. Does that count? :angel:
"The glory of friendship is not the outstretched hand, nor the kindly smile nor the joy of companionship; it is the spiritual inspiration that comes to one when he discovers that someone else believes in him and is willing to trust him."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

"In the beginning, there was nothing, which exploded." -Terry Pratchett

siracer

Post by siracer » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:05 am

I wish i had a female morrigi for a friend :blush:
The Empers of AaronTopia
SirAaron, SirAce, SirVelrin, SirCral, SirMerkin, SirDragonov, SirReign, SirRain, MissTerrus, SirZerke, MissHevam, SirNov, MissVorte, SirArmad, SirGorex, MissDalna, SirAcer
"Any man can defeat a god. Any man can become a god. Why you do either is what you will be remembered for."

Formid

Post by Formid » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:12 pm

Talk about high maintenance, though...

ytman

Post by ytman » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:33 pm

Don't EVER ask my girlfriend to see Hiver... I doubt... and this is terrible... she could ever befriend one. Unless they looked cool... like a Tarantula... and thats not an insect.

Glamour is a very interesting trait and ability and gives me wonders of Psionic abilities. Primarily, why are sapient species so similiar in thought processes that this 'force' is capable of manipulating the brain of all species?

T_K

Post by T_K » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:42 am

Because you can only go so far before things become unmanageable. All races have the same ship classes in the game for example, how otherwise different do you expect them to be :)

The more alien you design your aliens the less points of contact between them you can have, at some point you can have them so alien to each other that not only "diplomacy" but even war between them might become completely impossible (if they have totally different needs there might just be absolutely no grounds for conflict) - and SotS is all about war :insane:

One example, imagine you have two sapient races with so different biochemistries (or whatever makes them tick) that there is say 100x difference between the speed at which they perceive time. Or imagine contact between a race like us that processes information in a sequential fashion more or less and beings which perceive things in a "simultaneous" way. Hell we're even having a hard time communicating with our own people whose brains are wired just a bit differently (like autistic people who have no filters for background noise and perceive all sensory input unfiltered).

Wait were you asking actually for a specific answer from the game lore?... I got carried away :googly:

I HIGHLY recommend this sci-fi book - available here for free http://www.rifters.com/real/Blindsight.htm - for a most excellent attempt at coming up with a "realistic" truly alien intelligence (not to mention the post-humans the author designed...). Not an easy read though.

ytman

Post by ytman » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:30 pm

Solaris is my favorite book on the subject of truly alien contact (or lack there of) <wish I could read the original as the author said the translation to english was lacking>. So much so that I toyed with a suggestion that would allude to it... but really... it would be pointless :D (Maybe just a mod). I do like the Zuul and feel they are the closest thing to a truly Alien species that we'd want to simulate enough to play as. I will check out the read though as the subject is very very intriguing to me (infact, I think we see it here on earth between Reptiles and Humans, that snake will never ever ever feel the same way about you like any mammal could, he wants to EAT YOU).

Yeah I'm basically looking for something more in the Psionic department. I have suspicions (ether-real 'plane' of 'consciousness') that ALL life share. Actually I expect a complete turn about of the "Force" trope. That the Universe Incarnate is actually consciousness and individual life is merely a part of a vast collective. This would explain why AI even have Psionic signatures and how even molecules can be influenced by Psionic Will. Finally it would explain, in a way better than a "Progenitor-Race" would (that is saved for Macross! <damn Star Trek and Halo for taking it as well> ), why similiar level sentients are able to relate in some fashion.

In anycase. I'm going to imagine the humans researching everything they can about glamour :D. Then the Psionic Humans will be REAL douches to the lacking humans. Does Glamour work on Non-Psi species?

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:18 pm

Some astute guesses, ytman. Not many people bother to grapple with the Vitalist Principle and its implications. ;)

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

Return to “The Lore”