The Deacon's Tale

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

Itharus

Re: The Deacon's Tale

Post by Itharus » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:00 pm

Buy a copy or two and donate them to libraries. That's about it.

Edit: or convince one of the larger libraries to buy a copy.
Go Hiver or go home!

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:20 am

Hmm. Interesting problem. I will have to work on this one.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

Hawawaa

Post by Hawawaa » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:04 am

Good news everyone! I ordered a few days ago off amazon. It said I would receive it in January but I got it today! Erinys thanks for the book and I hope you sell tons of them! :D

Itharus

Post by Itharus » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:44 pm

Are you close to hitting the target for a sequel yet, Erinys?
Go Hiver or go home!

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:09 pm

I'll be working on at least one new SotS novel in 2012. The books are not a big seller, but I find that writing a novel is helpful when I'm working on a new race. ;)

--Arinn

marshb

Post by marshb » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:26 pm

Erinys wrote:I'll be working on at least one new SotS novel in 2012. The books are not a big seller, but I find that writing a novel is helpful when I'm working on a new race. ;)

--Arinn

"Hyperventilates" New Novel! New Race! "performs widdershins in ecstasy, forgets it is bad luck, remembers, then runs deosil, then passes out" :googly: :love: :awesome:
Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.

Orison of Sonmi-451

Itharus

Post by Itharus » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:51 pm

Right on, well, here's at least one sale when it comes out :)
Go Hiver or go home!

fiendishrabbit

Post by fiendishrabbit » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:28 pm

Got one for christmas (expected though, my christmas wishlist rarely fills the family "quota")

And then finished it on the busride back home (to be fair, it was an 8 hour busride since I don't live in the same part of the country as the rest of the family).
Extremely fluid writing style, to the point that when you're at the end of the book you're going "Wait, it's finished already? It can't be finished yet! I need MORE!"
I also liked the way that it feels very real, and you feel very close to the characters*. Unlike many other works of science fiction it avoids the Captain Exposition trap.
"Characters spouting hyper-detailed descriptions of aliens" quota- Very low. That's saved for the appendix. Where it (IMHO) belongs.
The other big literary crutch, "Characters have Super Introspection Powers" is also mercifuly avoided.

Looking forward to the Sequel.

*Except paradoxically enough, Ishii. Despite being a telepath and very powerful Empath (or perhaps because if it) Ishii remains the most distant. All the other aliens seem to be able to find common ground and ways of understanding each other, yet Ishii feels very alien (even to the others). Which is kind of sad, because you get the sensation that Ishii remains alien because he/she wants to be close. Too close for others comfort (or at least Cai Ruis comfort), quite possibly because Ishii (at some level) feels alone when away from his own kind (to a greater extent than a human/hiver/tarka would. At least we're used to being alone in our own mind).
You can't trust the Liir. Never trust someone that smiles all the time.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:50 pm

Glad you enjoyed it, and many thanks for the review. :)

--Arinn

drbunji

Post by drbunji » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:04 pm

Most entertaining book ive read in a long time, got the paperback issue cause paper>screens imho. I wish i could just read this again instead of all the books we "just have to read" according to my eng lit teacher =/

myrmidon

Post by myrmidon » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:03 pm

Reviewer's tilt: I am a SF nut who took college courses on science fiction (gosh what easy elective choices. Read Dune? and write about it?) and especially likes military SF (David Drake's Daniel Leary series, Weber's Honor Harrington series, William Dietz Legion of the Damned etc.), who sees games like SOTS as a chance to LIVE in the book-like universes.

At this point the idea of meeting a Zuul pretty much scares the crap out of me. thanks!:)

...and now I've experienced the SOTS novel. Am hooked. Entirely. I literally could NOT put the book down until I finished. Well done indeed. Huzzah!

The lasting takeways for me:

That devastating little phrase: "...the gentle click of ignition"

After several years of playing the game, finally understanding the power behind Chezokin's statement: "I will drag Her enemies into the light whether She wills it or not" and the high drama of the scene that described it. Excellent space opera.

...Sequel/required/enslaved.

Itharus

Post by Itharus » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:54 pm

Chezokin is my favorite character, too. I want to know more about him :shock: .
Go Hiver or go home!

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:48 pm

Many thanks, Myrmidon! *chuckles* Now if only I could get someone to say all this in a review somewhere else, I might be able to publish more books in this series... :)

--Arinn

Gryfalcon

Post by Gryfalcon » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:16 pm

I finished up The Deacon's Tale last night - somewhat against my will, to be honest. ;) But it's only sleep and I'm sure those neurons weren't all that important anyway.

My primary reaction was to want more. More, as in, when is the next one? Also, I wanted more in this volume. At a bit over 200 pages plus appendices, I felt like some bits were left out. Particularly between Avalon and the Jade Mirror. I found the introduction and climax excellent. But, after the protagonist meets the antagonist for the first time, it felt quite choppy until the concluding conflict got started. The sudden jumps between ship and planet and back to ship were somewhat confusing, leaving me struggling to hold onto the thread of events.

I would have liked another chapter or two with the protagonist plotting his strategy for resolving the conflict. I really liked the office politics discussed between the protagonist and his aide in the beginning, and was disappointed when I felt there was less detail in the exposition of the main conflict. What message did the protagonist send to his boss? What was really going on between the protagonist and the individual piloting the Jade Mirror? And where was the denouement? The main conflict ends and then it's the epilogue. How did the protagonist survive until, I assume, he was rescued?

Overall, this is easily some of the best IP fiction I've ever read and I'd take it over a Star Wars or Star Trek book any day. With the exceptions noted above, the pacing was good and I found most of the characters well-developed. The underlying universe is one of the better-realized I've encountered - not that I was surprised by that, of course. I was left feeling like the author was holding back and I'd like to see what happens if she lets loose.
Summer grasses:
all that remain of great soldiers’
imperial dreams - Basho

Itharus

Post by Itharus » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:26 am

Gryfalcon wrote:I was left feeling like the author was holding back and I'd like to see what happens if she lets loose.

I've actually got to agree with that one.

Erinys, it did feel a bit like someone was keeping you on a tether - as though you had a lot more to show but were told to keep things hush hush for the time being. Now that the various SOTS Prime expansions are out of the bag, and the starting plot for SOTS II has been revealed, I would love to see the gloves come off with what you seemingly had to leave mysterious in The Deacon's Tale.
Go Hiver or go home!

Return to “The Lore”