Proteans

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

MrBoom

Re: Proteans

Post by MrBoom » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:20 am

Sounds like they're a bit like the Ceph from Crysis 2, Alcatraz thought they were akin to living tools created by another far superior race (at least in the book).

Madscientist

Post by Madscientist » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:26 am

It is one of the reason's why I loved playing the Morrigi back even in SotS Prime, when you met a grand menace "The legends are true...." "the ancient enemy returns". I apologise if I got some of the quotes wrong, but I did love that element of them. That feel they have been around for so long that they have legends of some of the horrors that lives in space in the same way humans have their myths... but to the Morrigi, they are indeed real.

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Wed May 16, 2012 6:04 pm

To be fair, the Morrigis -have- been around since a godamn long while.

Their problem is more that, a bit like the Silver Imperium, their own "Glorious ancient space Empire" got.... downsized a bit at some distant point of their history, to the point the morrigi civilization, until the foundation of the Confederation(which in itself took the induction of other races within the federation amongst other things), was little more than roving space clans or tribes, with scattered planets.

At least, I was under the impression of.

Btw, I think I dimly recall a screenshot being posted in advance of one of the last few patches a while ago, which I think was the Tholos Tomb encounter. However, back then the design, though obviously quite Morrigis-like, also reminded me of the shape of a Von Neuman ship, with the sharp angles and everything. Though I could most probably recall wrong.

Which make me wonders if the Ancient Morrigis empire, space traders and travellers as they were, and probably just as much guided and automated drone than their descendants if not more, could not be behind the original Von Neumans. Which could explains a bit why perhaps their race knew so much of the stars... and yet also refer to Von Neumanns as "the ancient enemy"(in the form of their ancestor's creation gone wild via faulty/broken programming).

Random speculation is random though, admitedly.

As for the proteans.... I would be -very- curious to figure what kind of race might have created them. And with all the elder races relics laying out and about, it makes me wonders if some of their relics somewhere might be more than relics in fact. Especially with many of the unexplained phenomenons out there in the setting. Then, the game has probably potential foreshadowing set, well, pretty much all over the setting and in many race descriptions(even the hivers might have a bit of one, with talk of their species' penchant to modify their own body to the point of the potential of accidently splitting their species if they were to continue such...)

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Wed May 16, 2012 8:07 pm

Morrigi are not the creators of the Von Neumanns.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Wed May 16, 2012 9:35 pm

Ahh, thank you.

Thanks for answering that small bit of curiosity then. :)

Ashbery76

Post by Ashbery76 » Sun May 20, 2012 5:14 pm

I thought the Cthulhu Great old ones coming back was played out with the Suulka already.

Belisareus

Post by Belisareus » Sun May 20, 2012 7:10 pm

Erinys wrote:Morrigi are not the creators of the Von Neumanns.

--Arinn

Hello Erinys.

The Morrigi in SotS 1 identify the VN as the old enemy.

Did the VN have anything to do with the depletion of whatever was fuelling/was the pillar of the Golden Morrigi civilisation?

Did the VN actions/conflict contributed to the decline of Morrigi Civilisation.

Finally, when exactly did the VN observe the SK and decided that a VN Construct was an appropriate response to obstinate obstacles?

Jeep-Eep

Post by Jeep-Eep » Sun May 20, 2012 7:43 pm

Dunno about the rest, but I'm willing to bet that last one was when the System Killer roasted a VN homeworld* or 2.

*Mecron did intimate that there was more than one.

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Sun May 20, 2012 9:37 pm

I thought the Cthulhu Great old ones coming back was played out with the Suulka already.

Apparently not, actually. And let's recall.... if the existence of the Grand menaces is of any proof, there are things out there probably -far- older than the likes of the Suul'ka...

The proteans themselves are only the trace remnant of a single of these civilizations.

Belisareus

Post by Belisareus » Mon May 21, 2012 6:39 am

Ludovsky wrote:

Apparently not, actually. And let's recall.... if the existence of the Grand menaces is of any proof, there are things out there probably -far- older than the likes of the Suul'ka...

The proteans themselves are only the trace remnant of a single of these civilizations.

The Suulka have the distinction of being the oldest LIVING entities in the galaxy as we know it. However, as Ludovsky said there are remnants of much older civilisations out there.

What is interesting is that the Liir could have been one of them, had they not regressed back after the first Suulka 600k years ago...

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Mon May 21, 2012 10:34 am

The Suulka have the distinction of being the oldest LIVING entities in the galaxy as we know it.

That we know of ;)
Technically, if the Proteans are "living" beings, I would not be surprised if -they- actually are older than the Suul'kas themselves.

What is interesting is that the Liir could have been one of them, had they not regressed back after the first Suulka 600k years ago...

Actually, I thought the first Suul'ka was 320,000 years ago? A very long while for sure, but still not Elder Race grade yet as far as I know.

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Fri May 24, 2013 4:25 pm

Erinys wrote:Oh, they're waiting for their creators, all right... :twisted:

--Arinn

Now that the Gardener is out in the game, this certainly give a whole new meaning to this post.

Which actually make me wonder.... was the Gardener(or a similar device) actually involved in the creation of the Proteans?

Space Voyager

Post by Space Voyager » Sat May 25, 2013 8:46 am

I doubt a device could ever be able of biotech of this kind. Unless you count Loa as devices.
ErinysSolForce Intelligence has great difficulty penetrating Liir society to that depth, for obvious reasons. fibioLack of scuba gear?

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Sat May 25, 2013 6:38 pm

Well, it more or less mostly because of how they have actively been hunting down the Gardener across the galaxy, which was making me wonder if that's what protean pods hovering around planets were waiting for.... the arrival of the Gardener, on it's quest to apparently seed more world with life(as it is supposedly seemingly capable of), in the hope of ambushing it in an attempt to take it out once and for all.

zortlord

Post by zortlord » Mon May 27, 2013 2:07 pm

What if the proteans are waiting around to see if something pops out of the super-high biosphere planet? Like some intelligent super organism or if the gardener is a seed ship for its original creators...

Return to “The Lore”