Liir out of water..?

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

Ruathan

Liir out of water..?

Post by Ruathan » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:22 am

So I'm thinking about what a Liir would need as far as support equipment if they wanted to go for a dry-land excursion.

I can envision all manner of mobility rigs based on what has been seen of Liir combat armor, but one quite important thing that I dont recall being touched on in the Liir biology rundown is hydration. Do Liir need to be continuously immersed (thus requiring an environment suit on land), or can they go extended periods of time with a dry pelt?

Also, what kind of mobility rigs would they prefer, and what method of controlling them is common? The Liir dont seem like the type to have plugs implanted in their bodies for controlling such things, so that pretty much leaves brain-wave sensing or some kind of telekinetically actuated power assist (IE A small TK nudge causes a set reaction in the rig). Both seem to be within the range of what your average Liir would be capable of working with, given practice.

And on the subject of Black Swimmers who may need to head dirt-side or debark onto a 'dry' station, would they use a liquid breather to avoid having to be 'drowned' again?

xanos

Re: Liir out of water..?

Post by xanos » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:45 am

Technically the Liir can 'hover' but they think its...well...rude to put it mildly.

They do need water, think if a dolphin, they dry out fast without it.

From what i have seen, the Liir use land suits to move around on mechanical tentacles controlled by cybernetics.

For a human version, think Doctor Octopus in a space suit but the tentacles is part of the suit :)

Golden Yak

Post by Golden Yak » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:29 pm

Likely all of the suit's systems are operated through telekinesis. Deacon's Tale indicated that the suits are fluid filled, as Ishii's suit leaks when it is damaged.
Nerts to this space-crap!

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:24 pm

Ruathan wrote:So I'm thinking about what a Liir would need as far as support equipment if they wanted to go for a dry-land excursion.

I can envision all manner of mobility rigs based on what has been seen of Liir combat armor, but one quite important thing that I dont recall being touched on in the Liir biology rundown is hydration. Do Liir need to be continuously immersed (thus requiring an environment suit on land), or can they go extended periods of time with a dry pelt?

Liir can be dry for extended periods without harm. It isn't comfortable, but its possible. They can also be coated with ice, for that matter.

Also, what kind of mobility rigs would they prefer, and what method of controlling them is common?

In natural conditions they literally lift themselves telekinetically and swim through the air. Picture the way killer whales breach onto the ice when hunting seals, and make it a thousands times faster, smoother, and deadlier. Their bodies never have to touch the ground.

The Liir dont seem like the type to have plugs implanted in their bodies for controlling such things, so that pretty much leaves brain-wave sensing or some kind of telekinetically actuated power assist (IE A small TK nudge causes a set reaction in the rig). Both seem to be within the range of what your average Liir would be capable of working with, given practice.

The Liir are willing to pierce the body envelope with technology if necessary. Most suit functions are operated autonomically, to avoid distractions for the wearer. They save telekinesis for deliberate action, in much the same way that humans wouldn't design a suits that required you to constantly twiddle your thumbs in order to keep oxygen flowing.

And on the subject of Black Swimmers who may need to head dirt-side or debark onto a 'dry' station, would they use a liquid breather to avoid having to be 'drowned' again?

Yes. The shell is a constant companion when you leave the ship or the barracks.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

Ruathan

Post by Ruathan » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:28 pm

Interesting that they use telekinesis to levitate. I would of assumed that not to be the case on grounds of exhaustion. Then again, if they get tired I suppose they can just rest on their belly for a bit.

Agent.nihilist

Post by Agent.nihilist » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:18 pm

Remember, the secret to flying is falling and missing the ground. :D
Will the Great wrote:Well, that's probably why you're having a difficult time. Because you made the game more difficult.

Ishantil wrote:BIRD RUSH KEKEKEKEKE

Don't mind me, I'm unreasonably reasonable :twisted:

AlanF5

Post by AlanF5 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:17 pm

Ruathan wrote:Interesting that they use telekinesis to levitate. I would of assumed that not to be the case on grounds of exhaustion. Then again, if they get tired I suppose they can just rest on their belly for a bit.

I've gotten the impression that full-on levitation is about as taxing as a sprint. Anyone healthy can do it for a short time, and "athletes" can train to do it longer.
Download my zombie outbreak mini-sim: unfortunately, it's not Fort Zombie.

Winner of the "Guess what the zerker discs are an homage to?" race. (The Mandarin's ten rings)

Ruathan

Post by Ruathan » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:46 am

Agent.nihilist wrote:Remember, the secret to flying is falling and missing the ground. :D

So that means the Liir are Arthur Dent?

Would that make the Hivers Ford Prefect?

And I dont even want to guess at who Zaphod would be :insane:

Kaan'Ish

Post by Kaan'Ish » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:48 am

Zaphod = Morrigi, apparently the biggest flash gits in the cosmos, so current info presumes :)

Sprinting as an analogy for the exhaustion factor of levitation seems a little high, given that it would suggest that Liir couldn't maintain unaugmented land travel for more than a handful of minutes at a time. Given they apparently wander around on land for sightseeing trips, and presumably hunting of indigenous landlife as delicacies, they must be able to keep it up for a fair length of time. I'd factor it more like a brisk jog, something you could keep up for an hour or so if necessary.

I speculate also, in a similar way to denizens of the ancient Morrigi ecology and their ability to use psychic glamours for defence, whether there are any other species on the Liir homeworld which also possess telekinetic abilities to hunt. The shorelines around Liir coasts may very well be full of floating aquatic species preying on littoral creatures, or using it to fly from predators in turn.

Agent.nihilist

Post by Agent.nihilist » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:22 am

I imagine them making physic slip in slides to harness the kinetic potential created by them falling into the gravity well, similar to how a stunt plane can do aerial tricks with its engines shut off.
Will the Great wrote:Well, that's probably why you're having a difficult time. Because you made the game more difficult.

Ishantil wrote:BIRD RUSH KEKEKEKEKE

Don't mind me, I'm unreasonably reasonable :twisted:

Alganhar

Post by Alganhar » Mon May 07, 2012 3:12 pm

Lot of the issues Cetaceans have when beached isn't just the skin needing to be wet. Its more a support thing. They have evolved in the water, as a result they require the support of the water. Most beached whales dont die of dehydration, they die because their own body weight quite literally crushes them to death.

MrBoom

Post by MrBoom » Tue May 08, 2012 4:39 pm

Alganhar wrote:Lot of the issues Cetaceans have when beached isn't just the skin needing to be wet. Its more a support thing. They have evolved in the water, as a result they require the support of the water. Most beached whales dont die of dehydration, they die because their own body weight quite literally crushes them to death.

While true, keep in mind that their telekinetic levitation isn't necessarily a "plank of force" directly under them but more a suspension of their body at the cellular level. At least that's how I figured they'd get around the crushing bit.

Return to “The Lore”