New Race/Factions with DLC?

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

Azrael Ultima

Re: New Race/Factions with DLC?

Post by Azrael Ultima » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:23 am

If your species is immortal by nature, you eventually grow so large that you either have to give up and let gravity crush you, or go insane, enslave your entire species and turn into some sort of cthuloid space monster.

Yeah, immortality isn't fun in SotS.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

firelordzx

Post by firelordzx » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:44 pm

Azrael Ultima wrote:... Yeah, immortality isn't fun in SotS.

Agree.

Ryoku

Post by Ryoku » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:36 pm

firelordzx wrote:
mrelegos wrote:And you just missed my sarcasm. [sigh]

sarcasm or not, I think that there is no gonna be another ancient playable race and with biotechnology as main strenght, a minor race becoming mayor perhaps, a race comming from the "unknown space" and become playable is another thing

I disagree here, each sots expansion sees the timeline advancing. As the timeline advances, especially between games, new races emerging to challenge the others becomes harder and harder. The Loa are a perfect example, having come from the 'original' 6 races, they already had the tech base to start in the Fusion age (Just like in the EOF scenario in sots 1, nice one Kerb 8) ). Imagine a new race comes along in the FISSION age with command less destroyer squadrons :lol: . Realistically I wouldn't expect any brand new races achieving ftl for the first time will turn up again, unless the independent system gets a major upgrade and we see tech level 6 independents turning up in a future games, but as a playable race? Forget it.
Note, I'm not discounting another ripping scenario, though it is very unlikely. The next race will need to have had a good chance to develop to be on an equal playing field.

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:00 pm

We forget one aspect of the game though.

The SOTSverse is contained within the SOTSverse map. At least what is known of it.

This map, however, is only the "known" space of a very small portions of a mere galactic arm.

New races were introduced as the current races began expanding the boundaries of "their" known space to discover what lies beyond.

But what does tell us that -only- the races of this sector are doing this and that races just outside this known sector might not be doing the same themselves.... and suddenly fall on all these FTL-faring civilizations as they fall on "our" sector?

Heck... what does tells us that even current races have not explored, or settled, beyond the known "SOTSverse" already? Morrigis were known to have spread extremely far during their history, Hivers have had their pre-FTL colonization efforts, the Tarkas have had worlds scattered god-knows-where in a still unexplainable phenomenon and the Suul'ka have probably glimpsed at a good deal of the galaxy already(and who knows what -else- the bloodweaver may have cooked there ontop of the Zuuls).

Heck, SOTS: The Pit with the likes of the Hopkinites may have already gives us some slight glimpses of just what else may be lying outside in the game's universe.

Aranador

Post by Aranador » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:32 am

I want my kitty race !

Goomich

New Race/Factions with DLC?

Post by Goomich » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:51 pm

firelordzx

Post by firelordzx » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:26 pm

*Apocalyptic and Dramatic Music*
Oh no! We are doomed!!! ... Dat face is EVIL!!!

marshb

Post by marshb » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:05 pm

*looks at goomich avi* No, it can't be, that's impossible! Aieeeeeeeee!!!!! :yell:
Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.

Orison of Sonmi-451

Ashbery76

Post by Ashbery76 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:09 pm

Wow some good reveals there.The gardeners are truly dead and will not be the next big bad and in my opinion the Proteans are going to be a playable race in the future.I think they will have some nice new mechanics.

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:27 pm

Though I do wonder why the Proteans chase after the Gardener random encounter.

Is it just because they see it as the last surviving symbol to be destroyed of an hated master?

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:25 am

Yep. :)

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

vaccum_pony

Post by vaccum_pony » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:32 am

That implies a level of sentience I hadn't expected. I was thinking it was programmed (bio equivalent of an expert system) gloop run amok.
- - - -

Shed not a tear for humanity, go fetch my stars.

Vaccum Pony

mrelegos

Post by mrelegos » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:09 am

Now that is interesting...
Bellum se ipsum alet

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:59 pm

Well, it was already implied that they didn't like the "slavery" part of their existence at that time I think.

cakedaemon

Post by cakedaemon » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:41 am

Here's an idea for a race.

Crystals. The ships are individuals. Colony ships work by shattering in orbit of a planet.

Or something. But I think a crystalline race could be good. And they are pretty rare, too.

Return to “The Lore”