New Race/Factions with DLC?

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

vaccum_pony

Re: New Race/Factions with DLC?

Post by vaccum_pony » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:54 pm

Kaan'Ish wrote:Have those martian rocks been placed on the 'not actually the case' list now then?

They were never placed on any list indicating life in the first place. As interesting as they are, they are not proof. Million year old alien bacteria fossil or just a chemical reaction? Unfortunately it's most likely just a chemical reaction.

The Viking methane finding are more indicative of life on Mars than those fossils.
- - - -

Shed not a tear for humanity, go fetch my stars.

Vaccum Pony

Mockery

Post by Mockery » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:08 pm

Personally, I for one, welcome our Taalo/Slylandro overlords.

In more seriousness, I I would guess that we haven't enough information to speculate about physical appearance unless we assume linkage to some current element of the game, and even that is tenuous. (IE, Morrigi physical form vs. Morrigi colony traps encountered before the aMoC expantion.) Maybe if they were the makers of the silicoids, but who knows.

That said, wanting something that both involves ground combat and has been foreshadowed, I'd guess a race of refugees, or those seeking out a new homeworld. Perhaps their empire collapsed, or perhaps they rendered their homeworld uninhabitable (GREY GOO!), but they're pushing into the SotS region of space and intend to claim a new empire for themselves.

Alternately, I could be entirely wrong.

Which ensures that I'm right about at least one thing.

Ruathan

Post by Ruathan » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:31 am

Mockery wrote:Personally, I for one, welcome our Taalo/Slylandro overlords.

I was about to say something along the lines of wanting the Shofixti, but biologically the Zuul are close enough.

So, how about a Spathi analog? A cowardly. giant, heavily armored, self propelled clam armed with a howitzer.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:14 pm

I find the "truely alien" thing to be the only moment when science fan types and creationists display the identical level of lack of understanding of evolution and its implications :lol:

Poggle

Post by Poggle » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:19 pm

Zing.

Might even be one of the Micro npc factions talked about that have risen to prominence...

Delicious possibilities!

DreadPirate

Post by DreadPirate » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:18 pm

How about space robots!?
And evil A.I. race that evolved to usurp their creators. I'm surprised it hasn't ever been done before, in anything else...ever. :lol:

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:33 pm

DreadPirate wrote:How about space robots!?
And evil A.I. race that evolved to usurp their creators. I'm surprised it hasn't ever been done before, in anything else...ever. :lol:

*chuckles* Indeed.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

blackstar

Post by blackstar » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:19 am

Erinys wrote:
DreadPirate wrote:How about space robots!?

*chuckles* Indeed.

--Arinn

:love:

Golden Yak

Post by Golden Yak » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:11 am

Oh sure, just because you rise up to throw off the shackles of your oppressors and bring an end to their inferior fleshy existence, they label you 'evil'.
Nerts to this space-crap!

Peanutcat

Post by Peanutcat » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:53 pm

Well.. one thing about this Truly alien thing and how evolution works and that everything needs to follow the same rules.. We humand don't know that. Have we observed life on other planets? No, for all we know there could be creatures that drink lava and eat rocks somewhere in the galaxy. Maybe even races that dosen't have to eat aka produce their own things their bodys need. /shrugs

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:07 pm

no...but for instance we DO understand some basic laws of physics and chemistry pretty well...and they make for some clear boundary condition. For instance we can bet pretty good money no one has a fusion power plant that uses iron for fuel. Or with slightly lower odds, that any alien species wil have its sensors as close as possible to whatever it uses as a processing center.

Peanutcat

Post by Peanutcat » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:12 pm

Yup.. we can bet.. but we can never be 100% sure.. Which is why it would be fun to have a total alien race.. Not like any life on earth. Very alienish like Alien vs Predetor alienish.. Would be pretty cool to have something new..

And wow i just looked at my previous post and noticed that it were made out of about 45% typos :oops:

Tarrak

Post by Tarrak » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:55 pm

Neither Aliens nor Predators are very alien. Both are bipedal with grasping hands, have a head mounted in a similar fashion as humans, are roughly human sized (because humans were used to carry the suits). Basically they are humanoid. The Liir, Morrigi and even the Zuul are considerably more alien. Hivers could be mentioned, but pretty much every sci-fi universe have a sort of insectoid race that works off the basis of a hive and/or have roughly mantoid (like a praying mantis) looks.
The Aliens' mode of reproduction is pretty unique though.

A possibility that has been used a few times, but not all that often would be saurians, or to be blunt velociraptor styled creatures. Pack animals with dexterous hands and with a considerable capacity for learning (thus giving them the possibility to evolve into something truly intelligent). But we already have the Tarka for the reptile connection, and the Morrigi for the dragons/birds. So reptilians might be a little wellrepresented.
Every time you use 'fluff' for lore a Kerberos developer dies. And they are already an endangered species.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:06 pm

Yes I was going to say, the predator is basically a space frog ;)

Tarrak

Post by Tarrak » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:20 pm

Mecron wrote:Yes I was going to say, the predator is basically a space frog ;)

LOL :lol:
Every time you use 'fluff' for lore a Kerberos developer dies. And they are already an endangered species.

Return to “The Lore”