New Race/Factions with DLC?

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

Azrael Ultima

Re: New Race/Factions with DLC?

Post by Azrael Ultima » Mon May 28, 2012 12:36 pm

Garfield78 wrote:"An evil Race" sounds quite easy but i have never found an really scary evil Race in Sci-Fi so far

okay "The Frogs" from Raumpartoullie Orion where scary because of the really bad special effects ;)

its hard to say what would be a really evil thing and its a great challenge to do so i think ... maybe soon we scream
"Repent !!! The Weasels are coming!!!!" and we will have many fatal failures in our ships because of weasels nibbling
through our cables :lol:

Many things are scary when your spaceship is controlled with common household appliances.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

The Magus
Doomsayer

Post by The Magus » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:12 pm

Weren't the Wraith basically prettied up Morlocks? :) I'll take my carrion farming psionic space possums. ;)

I'm sure I've said it before, but I'm always interested in new and interesting takes on synthetic life, although a term that broad can probably include the Zuul as well ;) So I'll just say I like 'dem robots, and despite the classic monolithic rebellion scenario, there still seems to be alot of potential I think in playing with these.

I've seen arguments weighted heavily against highly developed herbivore society, but I can't recall most of the arguments off the top of my head, so I certainly won't argue it right now either.
The teacher cut in smoothly, "Yes, of course. SolForce never fails to remind us how necessary they are to our...'survival'. ... It amazes me that the human race ever managed to exist, before you lot came along."

Cai Rui smiled thinly. "What amazes me is how quickly the human race could cease to exist, if we were gone."

--The Deacon's Tale

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:43 pm

Actually, I wonder a bit about the next race and wonder if there's something we might not have literally missed ever since SOTS Prime.

Has anyone ever had a description of the Refugees or what type of techs they specifically used? I know they used a Mothership of sort, supposedly using battleriders and from descriptions(as I never saw any screenshots involving them sadly when searching) . Screenshots of what they they looked like would be welcomed as I recall hearing them using ram scoops(a typically Hivers technology, for their long haul STL drive travel before they can deploy their gates, probably developped as part of their space exploration efforts before they had developped Gate Technology I would assume).

Also, unrelated but if I recall well as mentionned before, Hivers have been said that they might be at risk of developping a new species out of themselves accidently due to their habit of self-modifying their morphology and biology.
Specifically, the modification stated as an example was how they would be willing to modify their own morphology if it proved to be cheaper to produces a vaccuum-proof Hiver than a vaccuum proof suit for hivers.
Similarly, if I recall well, it was mentionned that in their past Hivers had sent many colonization missions before even developping the FTL of their gate network, many of these early colonization attempts having ended badly though some might have survived into the present day.
Similarly, it was said that a hiver princess(generally required to start a new colony if I recall well) might evolve into a Queen after around 200 years of isolation.
And.... if I recalls well, it has been said that SOTS2 happens around 200 years after the first Sword of the Stars.

Somehow, though I don't see which random encounter in SOTS2 is the one hinting at the new race, I wonder if the refugees might happen to show up again in SOTS2 after their short appearance in SPTS1.... and at the same time, with all these combined factors, wondering if they might be related to the Hivers, after all these particular traits.

I just couldn't help but think it would be interesting a background for a potential new race. Survivors from the failed era of Hivers colonization. Having taken to the stars, possibly to merely survive(perhaps the planet they landed on was utterly unsuitable for sustaining life despite their best efforts) and thus adapting their technologies and bodies to survive in space(again, the "vaccuum-proof Hiver" example in particular) they would have went from adapting to life in space for the search a new homeworld, to thriving on it. Possibly stopping only to gather ressources before taking off for reasons their own.

Or maybe it is just that I always was enthused about the idea of a "Migrant Fleet" race, something that I can never recall having much seen before in strategy games in the past.

Then again, maybe the refugees were as the name imply, refugees fleeing from a conflict within such an "Hivers Splinter Race".

Then again, random speculation being nonetheless a bit random, I might be utterly wrong :p

Heart of Storm

Post by Heart of Storm » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:08 pm

I kinda feel that the refugees are a bit of a false start for a new race, if they were still in SotS II (in greater numbers) perhaps, but a dreadnought and a couple of destroyers/riders isn't a great starting place for a galaxy spanning Empire.

Conversely, the fact that they aren't fleeing towards one of their own home systems implies that there probably isn't anything left to flee to anymore, hence why they're fleeing 'blind' and end up in SotSverse space.

Its perfectly viable, for example, that they didn't *have* an empire per se, and that what you're seeing are the only viable ships they could build, at short notice, before the homeworld went boom.

As such its not so much the Refugees that interest me, but what they were fleeing from. It could be something already known (Locusts, Sparky), or it could be whats yet to come.. however detail remains sparse.

As for the Hiver variant thing, I've seen that bandied around before and I really don't care for the idea, I kinda want something new, and I can't imagine that Hivers would have changed enough to make them a distinct and seperate species with wildly different abilities.

Queens live a very long time, and as they're the reproductively viable ones, any *major* change to the Hivers evolutionary wise is presumably based on their generation time...

As such I kinda think that 'superevolved Hivers' is another Dead End... I *did* think there was some mileage in your speculation on what Screamed the Leviation however, thats my #2 runner behind 'Proteans' as 'likely harbringer of the new race(s)'

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:33 pm

Well, there's 2 potential new races.

But the refugees had me curious when someone mentionned them using a ram scoop apparently which might be an outdated technology in the FTL age.... for pretty much anybody else but the Hivers.

So as though the refugees were considered as advanced* than the other races, my question had been what kind of FTL drive they packed.... if it'd be something similar to something else we already knew of. Then when someone mentionned one of their ship having something similar to ram scoop, my question suddenly was "... do they even -have- an FTL drive?". Even if unlikely again, the thought of a sort of generation spanning migrant fleet(s) has a certain charm I feel not really seen anywhere, especially if we are talking of a race that truly did adapt to fully live in space(if it was hinted it might be possible to create a naturally vaccuum-proof hiver for example... and take a race-full equivalent of such a race who due to the botched colonization attempt has taken to space to the point of talking about generations born and dying in space, I do believe that might be a "significant" change from what we are used to from the likes of Hivers.
Similarly, it would give a whole other meaning to their "mothership".
Possibly not just the "mother" ship of their fleet, but actually the ship meant to house their actual mother. Maybe it's the ship housing their actual Queen.
Or, if they are actually fleeing their own race or something similar, maybe it is that it is not their Queen in that ship, but only a rogue or exiled Princess fleeing the wrath of the rest of her mother or rival princesses(or whatever might be the term within their society), and thus there might not be a single mothership, but actually multiples ones roving around space each housing a separate princess and Clan.

Thus this might make the refugees arrival simply a "gentler" version of a similar event amongst the actual Hivers, when rogue Obsidian princess's fleet arrived on Earth. The Refugees merely asked for help rather than shooting first.

Still, I just feel the idea shouldn't neccessarily be handwaved as potentially be "not being different enough" as we don't know what their civilization actually is like.
If we're talking about one that adapted to live fully in space, not just in the manner of the morrigis but to truly -thrive- in a fully spaceborn life of roving migrant fleets or a variant of such a gameplay somehow... I do believe we might be able to look at a race with the possibility of not only different tech but wildly different gameplay altogether.

Then again, I wouldn't be too surprised if such a wall of text speculation ended up completely wrong but heh. One can sometimes wonder I guess.

--------------------
Also, regarding earlier speculation on other subjects, the thing is we need to recall the plan is for two different playable races eventually.

Though the "Ghost ship mystery" is still something that has me curious and still thinking. And proteans might have potential if as people speculated some Elder Races were still around but as speculated just not anymore even close to the level of knowledge/might that they once packed, like a more extreme example of the Morrigis' empire's own slow collapse.
In fact, with the timespan involved, one might wonder if such a race even recall anything of it's far-off past.... or even look the same than they used you considering we're talking timespan higher than the likes of which it took for humanity to evolves from ape-like primates to their present form(or, potentially, for an advanced race to "devolve" to a less advanced level, a shadow of their former mighty self.... which actually might fit with a shout-out to the Elder Things from Poe's work that was once made in one of the Proteans speculation. A highy advanced race of frighteningly advanced technology... now almost nothing more than the savage remnant of a shadow of their former selves probably not even recalling their past).

Heart of Storm

Post by Heart of Storm » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:36 pm

Ludovsky wrote: Also, regarding earlier speculation on other subjects, the thing is we need to recall the plan is for two different playable races eventually.

Though the "Ghost ship mystery" is still something that has me curious and still thinking. And proteans might have potential if as people speculated some Elder Races were still around but as speculated just not anymore even close to the level of knowledge/might that they once packed, like a more extreme example of the Morrigis' empire's own slow collapse.
In fact, with the timespan involved, one might wonder if such a race even recall anything of it's far-off past.... or even look the same than they used you considering we're talking timespan higher than the likes of which it took for humanity to evolves from ape-like primates to their present form(or, potentially, for an advanced race to "devolve" to a less advanced level, a shadow of their former mighty self.... which actually might fit with a shout-out to the Elder Things from Poe's work that was once made in one of the Proteans speculation. A highy advanced race of frighteningly advanced technology... now almost nothing more than the savage remnant of a shadow of their former selves probably not even recalling their past).

I'm kinda putting my money on this, or a variant of it, being the actual case. The Elder Races have been mentioned time and time again, seeing something living that comes from them, either the descendents of the Elders themselves (clearly having gone through a 'dark age' per se and having lost their huge tech advantage) or a descendent/evolution of a function/aspect of their society that has turned sentient or otherwise subverted its original design intent after the guys holding the reins disappeared.

The Magus
Doomsayer

Post by The Magus » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:44 pm

The refugees I think are the last encounter I never had in SotS Prime :( Haven't been able to to take nearly as big a bite as I want out of ][ yet to see if they're still in there.
The teacher cut in smoothly, "Yes, of course. SolForce never fails to remind us how necessary they are to our...'survival'. ... It amazes me that the human race ever managed to exist, before you lot came along."

Cai Rui smiled thinly. "What amazes me is how quickly the human race could cease to exist, if we were gone."

--The Deacon's Tale

That Schmuck

Post by That Schmuck » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:06 pm

Don't forget it's entirely possible the refugees aren't running from a natural disaster or a grand menace, but rather their own people. I mean, it's not like there's a historic precedent for a persecuted ethnic group/political group/otherwise minority to risk everything in search of a new stranger home or anything. Might even explain why in the official lore they packed up and left after a few years: they noticed their oppressors were on the way.

mrelegos

Post by mrelegos » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:47 pm

I'd really love to see a race akin to the Yuuzhan Vong in the Star Wars expanded universe, all biotechnology and the like, with a pathological hatred of technology, possibly as a result of an AI revolution. They could have ships which repair over time (healing) rather then needing to be repaired fully, and extreme familiarity with toxins and the like (possible originators of the Xombie plague?) but due to their restrictions regarding technology have slower research speed.
Bellum se ipsum alet

Tarrak

Post by Tarrak » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:18 pm

mrelegos wrote:I'd really love to see a race akin to the Yuuzhan Vong in the Star Wars expanded universe, all biotechnology and the like, with a pathological hatred of technology, possibly as a result of an AI revolution. They could have ships which repair over time (healing) rather then needing to be repaired fully, and extreme familiarity with toxins and the like (possible originators of the Xombie plague?) but due to their restrictions regarding technology have slower research speed.

Please no.... Biotech races is such a horrible trope. It just doesn't work like that. There is a reason there is no life in space, and that says nothing of the issue with infections. Real awesome to have the ship turn sluggish when it has a small infection.
Every time you use 'fluff' for lore a Kerberos developer dies. And they are already an endangered species.

Ryoku

Post by Ryoku » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:38 pm

umm, what about the Suul'Ka? They do tend to have a lot of flesh exposed to space, so I wouldn't be so quick to say it could never happen. :twisted:

Tarrak

Post by Tarrak » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:42 pm

They are also heavily psionic. So unless the Biotech ships are alive and very much psionic (which then begs the question of why they even have crews in the first place), I don't see it as a viable way to do things.
Besides, need I point out The Eldest?
Every time you use 'fluff' for lore a Kerberos developer dies. And they are already an endangered species.

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:43 pm

Well, it would certainly lead to interesting messages.

"1st Survey Fleet contracted a cold and aborted its mission"
"1 Freighter is suffering from home sickness and refuses to leave port"

Suul'ka are a bit of a special case. For one, each is a single being, they're not limited to just biotech and they have vast psionic abilities that help them deal with their enviroment.

On the same note, you can't just say a fully biological submarine is possible just because whales exist. A Suul'ka is not a space ship.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:01 pm

They're more like astronauts.

Really really really big astronauts with really really really advanced(and big) spacesuits.

.... just don't call them fat. :p

Edit: Also I am much pleased to see all my hivers subrace/splinter-race speculation was wrong in the end :P
And I can't help but be amused at just how much I missed all the hints laid before by Kerberos in this very race that were pointing toward the AI race.

Well done, Kerberos, well done.

mrelegos

Post by mrelegos » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:28 pm

We've yet to find life anywhere but on earth, yet you have no problem with the concept of alien races. Saying that there is no life in space because we've not observed any life in space is short sighted. We're looking at a single solar systems worth of direct observational data (in fact, we're actually talking about a small section of that)

The science of "biotech" races is no more fantastical then the 6 forms of FTL, or Psionics. Give me the same level of leeway with fudging science as those technologies, a biology graduate and the writing talent to make a cohesive society around it, and I could come up with explanations for how it all works every bit as in depth as the explanation of Wise Clay.
Bellum se ipsum alet

Return to “The Lore”