Zuul/Suulka - Skulls?

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

feld
Cassandra

Zuul/Suulka - Skulls?

Post by feld » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:07 pm

Erinys,

Back when I first saw the larger Zuul ships in Sots Prime I figured the giant clearly cetacean skulls were elder Liir. It seemed like that added up to lots and lots of dead Liir. With the Suul'ka relationship and all of the empty suits scattered throughout the first game I have come to wonder about the story behind those skulls:

Are the Zuul ship skulls actually bone?

Are they Suulka remains taken from the suits?

Are they Elder Liir skulls, perhaps taken as slaves?

v/r
feld

Scirch

Re: Zuul/Suulka - Skulls?

Post by Scirch » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Given the size difference between the cruiser command section and the Alien Derelict in SotS 1, I think that the skulls, if they are such, are taken from Liir elders. Also, I don't think any Greatfather would think it wise to decorate the hulls of their ships with the skulls of their gods; they probably wouldn't like the constant reminder theirs gods are mortal.
When one makes something fool-proof, they inevitably fail to take into account the ingenuity of fools.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:19 pm

The skulls are those of Liir in some cases; in others they are crafted to give the appearance of such.

As to the mortality of the gods--given that they consider the universe itself a resource base to inevitably devoured and destroyed, the mortality of god doesn't trouble the Zuul much. ;)

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

Tarrak

Post by Tarrak » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:34 pm

Erinys wrote:The skulls are those of Liir in some cases; in others they are crafted to give the appearance of such.

So we can take that to mean the Zuul have invaded major Liir worlds, if not Muur itself, with considerable success? I mean from what I understood about the Liir, the Elders tend to be passive, conservative and region bound. Basically it is hard to imagine them traveling in The Black Sea, The Black himself being a notable exeption of course. In fact I was under the assumption that all Elders were confined to Muur by their philosophical conservatism (but the oldest Liirian colonies should have some Elders by now).
Every time you use 'fluff' for lore a Kerberos developer dies. And they are already an endangered species.

feld
Cassandra

Post by feld » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:36 pm

Thanks!

I too was wondering how the Zuul got that many liiran Elder skulls...though the thought of fashioning a hood ornament in the shape of your great deity does seem very...zuuly....as in "this ship is so dominant that the gods themselves must fear it".

v/r
feld

Tarrak

Post by Tarrak » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:43 pm

feld wrote:"this ship is so dominant that the gods themselves must fear it".

Not every culture sees a skull as something fearful. Sometimes it is the representative of power, of ancestors or even gods (or rather godlike powers). So the Zuul using the skulls of their dead gods wouldn't have to mean they intend to scare those that still live, but perhaps more in the vein of invoking their power, or even more simple, they just announce who they represent. "By this skull do we declare that the Suulka are the gods, and we are their prophets. Tremble little morsels!"
Every time you use 'fluff' for lore a Kerberos developer dies. And they are already an endangered species.

Return to “The Lore”