Cross Species Philosophical adoption

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

Iron Talon

Cross Species Philosophical adoption

Post by Iron Talon » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:37 pm

Wanted to originally post this in the Liir thread but couldn't find their faction thread for some reason... Anyway this works as its own topic.

How popular are different species' beliefs in carrying over? We have one canonical case known from the deacons tale in Tarkas adopting Catholicism, and from a few lore posts know its not a unique case (I.E. some human women taking up Hiver beliefs as some divine feminine form).

I can imagine Liiran belief in 'the great song' would be quite popular amongst humans, but maybe less so among Tarkas. Also I could imagine people flocking to the morrigi (no pun intended ;-) ) as ancient mythological creatures made flesh, in many of the other societies.

Guess I'm curious about the more obscure possibilities, like the popularity of Tarkasian beliefs among rogue Hivers, or whether a Morrigi would find interest in the chronicles of Ancient Chinese mythology as a conduit to the Travellers of their own ancient golden age.

Tarrak

Re: Cross Species Philosophical adoption

Post by Tarrak » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:49 pm

I am quite certain the Morrigi know of the Chinese dragon mythology, or should we rather say Human dragon mythology, from the evil dragons of St. George over Quetzalqoatl the divine dragonleader to the positive and guiding Chinese/east Asian dragons (both the Japanese and indo-chinese people have a connection to dragons similar to the Chinese). Ateus himself mentioned how they had kept an eye on the other races, met them and all that. And with Tohkta's more open approach Morrigi society in general must have become a lot more updated on their confederated races' mythology.

I agree about the Liir Song and certain humans. I could see some branches of Buddhism seeing a 'universal truth' to their philosophy by looking at the Liirian Song.
Every time you use 'fluff' for lore a Kerberos developer dies. And they are already an endangered species.

Iron Talon

Post by Iron Talon » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:02 pm

Oh I definitely agree they would be aware of them and their implications, what I was wondering was if their are Morrigi 'Historians' that delve into the tales and try to pierce together usable histories and maybe even geneologies of the tribes involved in their creation.

I particularly can see Liiran beliefs catching on with Humanists too, expanding into a sort of Universalism that teaches equality and harmony etc. etc.

Hopefully the 'Keeper of the Lore' can clarify some of this stuff for us :smile:

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

Iron Talon

Post by Iron Talon » Wed May 02, 2012 5:56 pm

Had another thought on the subject. How welcoming are the races to outside beliefs? I sensed in the book that christianity was mostly deemed acceptable by the Tarka, though I'm curious as to how open minded the other races were.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Wed May 02, 2012 6:46 pm

The Tarka do not expressly forbid the adoption of new cultic practices, precisely because their own society is so polytheistic. Religious tolerance in and of itself is one of the highest social values. Although a Tarka may find a religious practice strange, stupid, and even skin-crawlingly creepy (and many Tarka are repulsed by the Murdered God of the Kristu), they will not forbid or suppress the cult unless it practices criminal behavior.

The Hiver are nearly impervious to outside influence on their spiritual beliefs. Although they enjoy works in translation and imported art, they are very attached to their religious world view and the entire species is monotheistic or at worst bitheistic, recognizing the nature of the Goddess as dual. They worship the universe in female form, and they cannot cease doing so. The only chance of corruption of their religious beliefs lies with the Siren.

The Morrigi are secure in the worship of their ancestors and the practice of their ancient mysteries. They have not changed their core beliefs for thousands upon thousands of years--or so they would tell you, if you asked--and although they are as fascinated by new ideas as they are by any other shiny thing, dustling treasures are collected as curiosities for the most part.

The Liir are capable of entertaining many thoughts without adopting them. They cannot change their minds about the nature of the Song when they hear it, always, from conception to death.

The Zuul, on the other hand, are an inexhaustible maw into which thoughts, practices and beliefs pass and are transformed. They adopt everything, rip it apart, and make it their own.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

Iron Talon

Post by Iron Talon » Thu May 03, 2012 12:28 am

Seems to make sense. What about the inverse? How likely are other races to try and spread their beliefs?

I'd imagine the Hivers are also unlikely to spread their spiritual view, considering it seems very closely tied to their biology.

Don't know enough about Tarka sub-cults to guess as to some of their missionary zeal

The Zuul probably don't work that way, since spreading beliefs in this regard requires choice, something they don't exactly feel like giving the Meat most likely :lol:

The Humans we already see with Neo-Catholicism, though I doubt they'd find any receptive outside of the Tarka (and the Zuul in their own perverse way)

The Liir I can see potentially wanting to spread the joy of the Song to all of the unknowing Singers who take part.

As for the Morrigi, I don't really see them interested in the Missionary life, heh.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Thu May 03, 2012 12:59 am

Humans (and Tarka Christians) and Zuul are the only evangelical species in the SotSverse.

--Arinn

Space Voyager

Post by Space Voyager » Thu May 03, 2012 6:33 am

Erinys wrote:The Liir are capable of entertaining many thoughts without adopting them. They cannot change their minds about the nature of the Song when they hear it, always, from conception to death.

This reads very... definite. Bearing their powers and lore in mind, it seems as though they are the "seers", simply seeing the world as is - and not as their personal version of it, as religions (or current scientific knowledge) picture it. Does this necessarily mean that they are completely correct in the vision of the SotSverse or not?
ErinysSolForce Intelligence has great difficulty penetrating Liir society to that depth, for obvious reasons. fibioLack of scuba gear?

Mika

Post by Mika » Thu May 03, 2012 12:23 pm

Erinys wrote:The Morrigi are secure in the worship of their ancestors and the practice of their ancient mysteries. They have not changed their core beliefs for thousands upon thousands of years--or so they would tell you, if you asked--and although they are as fascinated by new ideas as they are by any other shiny thing, dustling treasures are collected as curiosities for the most part.
--Arinn

Buddhist Monk: The world as we percieve it is an illusion that we should cast aside to rid ourselves of suffering.

Morrigi: Ooooh, shiny!

Buddhist Monk: *cries*

:twisted:
Michael, speaking for Boskone

Iron Talon

Post by Iron Talon » Thu May 03, 2012 5:28 pm

Buddhists would have more luck with the Liir most likely, though they'd most likely be one-upped by the Liir's much deeper understanding of the nature of existance.

Was thinking about posting this on the Morrigi thread but hey why not here? Morrigi no doubt have varying 'tastes' as far as treasure goes, but would they consider 'intangible' things like knowledge or even something like 'enlightenment' treasure?

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Thu May 03, 2012 7:39 pm

Certainly! Every Morrigi science station is known as a Pharos--a beacon or a lighthouse, which sheds light upon the darkness of the universe.

--Arinn

Iron Talon

Post by Iron Talon » Fri May 04, 2012 12:29 am

Ahh then an extention to that question.

Would the females find a gift of knowledge or wisdom worthy during courtship?

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Fri May 04, 2012 1:03 am

Absolutely.

--Arinn

Return to “The Lore”