The Elder Races

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

Ludovsky

The Elder Races

Post by Ludovsky » Fri May 18, 2012 1:21 pm

I'll admit, one cannot help but be curious about what the Elder Races were like. They have seemingly disapeared, leaving very little traces if at all.... except perhaps for the random encounters and some of the game's grand menaces.

However, these don't always tell much about them. Did they leave any ruins or other artefacts, for other civilizations might fall upon or such? (in an unrelated note, I always was a fan of Homeworld and it's premise... that intro where the Hiigarans discovers on thei exile planet the old starship that was used to exile them in the first place, and reverse-engineer it to take to the stars in the new mothership with the accompanying space epic that followed).

What were they like as well?
And similarly could some of these frighteningly ancient beings still be kicking around, either hiding or in stasis?

So far, the only things we might know of them, as said again, is through some of the random encounters and grand menaces:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-The sillicoids: automated mining drones that have long since turned ferals, with aesthetics seemingly favoring an organic-looking appearance akin to insects or beasts. The way their behavior has grown almost make them "living" organism in a fashion with their creations of hives and queens, though arguably that might just be a conclusion seen from the external viewpoint of the average member of the space civilization meeting them. Nonetheless, it shows a good knowledge of drones or AI technology meant to produces automated systems for different goals: in this case, mining.

-The Von Neumann drones and ships: Almost scaringly advanced self-replicating automated drones probes, frighteningly complex expert system able to self-adapt to new situations or opposition. The only hints we have about them was that they were apparently a system designed to seemingly scan and map all of the known universe and sample encountered ressources. Their adaptability shows again a great level of technical advancement in drone technology for an expert system, however their aesthetics are wildly different from the sillicoids as their capabilities and technology shows also a perhaps greater level of sophistication.

-The civilization behind the Peacekeeper Enforcer. Judging at the new treaties mechanics in SOTS2, one might think that whoever created the ship and its Engram(iirc an answer implying the Peacekeeper was one) probably was a diplomatic treaties abbiding race, perhaps in fact a major diplomatic/politic power of their era, though most seemingly ruthless in it's enforcement of said treaties... however, being an Engram this might also be merely the Peacekeeper's way of enforcing said treaties than anything specific to the civilization he was from(Elder Judge Dredd, anyone?). Supposedly he is the only surviving example of his kind, meaning that there once used to be much more Enforcers, implying an Empire of great reach and means.
Amusingly, being an Engram he might be one of the few Entities that -might- be able to actually give a few answers as to what the civilizations of his stellar generation were like... if he would take the time to actually answers such questions or requests. Though if he ever did so, I would imagine a rather... biased answers putting said civilization in a more positive light than it might truly have been.

-The civilization behind the System-Killer. Even less is known about it. However, it still seems to be a wildly different design from the others "elder races" to some level with the "crust" of ore, metors, and rocks constantly hovering/orbiting around him. Suspected to have been involved in a war which wiped out both sides, of which he might be the only "survivor". Judging by the fact that both factions were seemingly strong enough to wipe each others completely out of the face of the universe, it is likely that said war saw the deployment of far more than just his single self, though he is seemingly the only remaining "unit" of the kind.

-The puppet master. Apparently oft reffered to as a Beast expy fom Homeworld: Cataclysm. It is unknown whether or not it is a result of the previous stellar generation. However, it clearly looks like it was an artificially made ship despite the fact it seems to be in a perpetual "warp" state of sort(or at least, as seems to be implied by the color of the enveloppe around him). despite it's near organic-like ability to control mind. One might wonder if he is a result of warp/FTL-technology gone wrong that led the ship to encounter "things mortals weren't meant to see"... which make one wonder -what- they met.

-The proteans. Whatever they are, it was implied that they are the results of frighteningly advanced biotechnology, probably predating what the Suul'ka themselves wields(even He-who-shapes) and even more advanced. Occasionally hinted at that whatever created them would almost be akin to Lovecraftian works. And that the proteans are themselves "waiting" for the beings to return... meaning that some of their creators might still be either kicking around space, or themselves hidden and lying in sleep, waiting an appropriate time to wake up. Also interesting notion is the fact that Proteans often appear around planets with incredible amount of biodiversity, hinting perhaps at reasons behind their existence or creation(survey, colonization or defense mechanism meant to prepare or defend worlds of type "desired" by their masters?)

-The refugees *((confirmed not to be an Elder Race))*: Though their existance probably lay with the current space generation, they were seemingly reffered to as highly advanced beings(if I recall well) with rather advanced technology. However, their origins were never fully explained, and their very small numbers might make one wonders if they are might not be whatever remain of one of the elder races... possibly fleeing a rogue creation.

-The Locusts, a race that abandoned their original organic forms for technological immortality, by uploading their original personality to be converted into engrams. Millenias of copying and copying their personalities over and over though might have degraded their mind such that one could argue whether they are still technically "engrams" anymore.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, here's the list that I know of so-far. If I missed or forgot anything, please feel free to mention it, as well as comment with your own thoughts or hypothesis.
Last edited by Ludovsky on Sun May 20, 2012 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Betatrack

Re: The Elder Races

Post by Betatrack » Fri May 18, 2012 7:07 pm

You forgot Specters.

Simetra

Post by Simetra » Fri May 18, 2012 9:43 pm

They have nothing to do with elder races, so they are not forgotten ;)

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Fri May 18, 2012 9:48 pm

The Refugees are by definition not an Elder Race. Elder Races typically have Tech Level 8-10, and do not need to negotiate much with races that are far less advanced.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

Golden Yak

Post by Golden Yak » Fri May 18, 2012 10:23 pm

An excellent review of our current space mysteries, and some interesting speculation about certain aspects of them that remain especially mysterious!

Another entry would be the Locusts, a race that abandoned their original organic forms for technological immortality.
Nerts to this space-crap!

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Sat May 19, 2012 2:16 am

Thanks for clarifying the age of the refugees, they are something I was curious about so it's interesting to see they actually are one of the younger races :)

Betatrack

Post by Betatrack » Sat May 19, 2012 4:53 am

Erinys wrote:The Refugees are by definition not an Elder Race. Elder Races typically have Tech Level 8-10, and do not need to negotiate much with races that are far less advanced.

--Arinn

I've heard you mention tech levels before but I don't know how they work. Any chance you could explain them a bit?

Heart of Storm

Post by Heart of Storm » Mon May 21, 2012 2:50 pm

Just racking my brain here, but didn't some guy post an image of his game where he had BOTH multiple System Killers AND Locusts, the map was a bleak looking place, LOTS of ex-systems and those that survived where empty husks - to which Erinys posted a comment along the lines of 'this is what the final battle looked like' or some such.

Since then I've always been inclined the believe/suspect that the System Killer was designed to fight the Locusts - essentially whoever made it was desperate enough to believe that destroying a world was preferable to allowing the Locusts to use it to reproduce, a sci-fi equivalent of knocking down a row of houses to save the city from being consumed by fire..

Tarrak

Post by Tarrak » Mon May 21, 2012 6:02 pm

Heart of Storm wrote:Just racking my brain here, but didn't some guy post an image of his game where he had BOTH multiple System Killers AND Locusts, the map was a bleak looking place, LOTS of ex-systems and those that survived where empty husks - to which Erinys posted a comment along the lines of 'this is what the final battle looked like' or some such.

Since then I've always been inclined the believe/suspect that the System Killer was designed to fight the Locusts - essentially whoever made it was desperate enough to believe that destroying a world was preferable to allowing the Locusts to use it to reproduce, a sci-fi equivalent of knocking down a row of houses to save the city from being consumed by fire..

I believe she was commented on the ME3 comments made. The SK is supposed to be solitary, though the Locusts can be multiple.
Every time you use 'fluff' for lore a Kerberos developer dies. And they are already an endangered species.

CrystalDragonSora

Post by CrystalDragonSora » Mon May 21, 2012 10:42 pm

Though I understand they are not really an 'Elder Race', I can't help but be fascinated by the Refugees... I don't know why, but something about them makes me so curious.
The Crystal Dragon has a blog and Twitter!
We are...seven swords in unison.

The sun was born, and so it shall die, so only shadows comfort me. I know in darkness, I will find you, giving up inside like me... Each day shall end as it begins, and though you're far away from me... I know in darkness, I will find you, giving up inside like me...

Simetra

Post by Simetra » Tue May 22, 2012 8:46 pm

The Refugees or the thing they are running from? :twisted:

CrystalDragonSora

Post by CrystalDragonSora » Wed May 23, 2012 1:03 am

Simetra wrote:The Refugees or the thing they are running from? :twisted:

Perhaps both.

Though the latter thing screams 'I don't really wanna know, do I?' to me. Which in turn makes me even more curious.
The Crystal Dragon has a blog and Twitter!
We are...seven swords in unison.

The sun was born, and so it shall die, so only shadows comfort me. I know in darkness, I will find you, giving up inside like me... Each day shall end as it begins, and though you're far away from me... I know in darkness, I will find you, giving up inside like me...

Simetra

Post by Simetra » Wed May 23, 2012 11:54 am

In fact, the thing they are running from could be left behind by one of the elder races, so...

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Wed May 23, 2012 2:11 pm

It makes one wonder just how much stuff the elder races left around when they disapeared.

And incidently, I can't help but wonder how some of the Elder Races might react if, in an unlikely time paradox allowing such a meeting, someone from the current game era was to actually asks them about this or that "creation" of theirs.

Amusingly, I can almost imagine that kind of comment like "The Sillicoids? I don't know. But that does look like that random bit of junk automated mining drones we scrapped when we developped more efficient mining techniques. We might have forgot to shut down some units though..."

Golden Yak

Post by Golden Yak » Thu May 24, 2012 12:00 am

Ludovsky wrote:Amusingly, I can almost imagine that kind of comment like "The Sillicoids? I don't know. But that does look like that random bit of junk automated mining drones we scrapped when we developped more efficient mining techniques. We might have forgot to shut down some units though..."

This is just speculation on my part, but the creation of an automated robot mining system that is designed to resemble a hive of living creatures, with everything from castes and queens, speaks to me of a society of builders who were more concerned with style than efficiency. They were creating a work of art first and a resource gathering system second. Perhaps a people who had advanced to the point that the desire for resources was not so pressing that they couldn't take the time to build their tools around a theme.

And then evidently forgetting about them. Perhaps they got bored...?
Nerts to this space-crap!

Return to “The Lore”