The Elder Races

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

Ludovsky

Re: The Elder Races

Post by Ludovsky » Thu May 24, 2012 12:16 am

That's an interesting viewpoint.

Though they are unrelated in their construction(being much too young), if I recall well Hivers were said to look at sillicoids with a certain fascination. I might recall wrong though.

Jeep-Eep

Post by Jeep-Eep » Thu May 24, 2012 11:19 am

'Pretty, but homicidal' is their outlook on the blighters, if memory serves.

AlanF5

Post by AlanF5 » Tue May 29, 2012 4:44 pm

Betatrack wrote:
Erinys wrote:The Refugees are by definition not an Elder Race. Elder Races typically have Tech Level 8-10, and do not need to negotiate much with races that are far less advanced.

--Arinn

I've heard you mention tech levels before but I don't know how they work. Any chance you could explain them a bit?

Full descriptions can be found in the SotS-Paedia, in game. Atlas > Glossary, I think?
It describes the tech levels of civilizations as:
levels 1-3 : Nomadic tribal, pre-industrial city-states, and post-industrial nations (distinctions in how independent races will be useful),
level 4 : Near space(where Earth is today, another independent race marker),
level 5 : Basic FTL (usually powered by fission, SotS1 starts here),
level 6 : Fusion FTL (SotS2 starts here),
level 7 : Antimatter FTL,
level 8 : Suul'ka FTL,
level 9 : Precursor Race FTL (like VonNeuman?)
levle 10 : Godlike FTL (like the Peacekeeper?)
Download my zombie outbreak mini-sim: unfortunately, it's not Fort Zombie.

Winner of the "Guess what the zerker discs are an homage to?" race. (The Mandarin's ten rings)

Zoladex

Post by Zoladex » Tue May 29, 2012 7:43 pm

How do u get them in game? I'v seen a few people playing with them, even downloaded a save game with them in. But creating a new game i cant find them any where :(

Zoladex

Post by Zoladex » Wed May 30, 2012 1:28 am

Kamonrius wrote:Same, I'm on turn 116, my GM slider is 5 and my Random encounter is 200%....all I see are slavers and Roids.....

I dont think their GMs, as they are controllable ships.

Talking of which, i dont think any GMs are implemented yet. System killer was around, but is gone now :(

Edit: fixing my grammar as always :oops:
Last edited by Zoladex on Thu May 31, 2012 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu May 31, 2012 12:06 am

no it isn't :P

erdrik

Post by erdrik » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:11 pm

Golden Yak wrote:
Ludovsky wrote:Amusingly, I can almost imagine that kind of comment like "The Sillicoids? I don't know. But that does look like that random bit of junk automated mining drones we scrapped when we developped more efficient mining techniques. We might have forgot to shut down some units though..."

This is just speculation on my part, but the creation of an automated robot mining system that is designed to resemble a hive of living creatures, with everything from castes and queens, speaks to me of a society of builders who were more concerned with style than efficiency. They were creating a work of art first and a resource gathering system second. Perhaps a people who had advanced to the point that the desire for resources was not so pressing that they couldn't take the time to build their tools around a theme.

And then evidently forgetting about them. Perhaps they got bored...?

They may not have been originaly designed that way.
IIRC, the silicoids have changed over the countless years.

firestrike

Post by firestrike » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:00 pm

you know what will be funny if one of the elder race is a old human empire that want to return to earth and their tech and adv and node tech so powerful it feel like it's magic even to sol force or atleast part of their ai ship runing around :googly:

sob

Post by sob » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:59 pm

Doubt it. And in any case why would a elder human race use node space.

What would be magical is a race that is so advanced they came from another universe. This race or collation of races could have lasted till the end of the stars and in one last effort escaped there dead universe. Now that would be a elder race that would frighten even other elder races.
you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:40 pm

firestrike wrote:you know what will be funny if one of the elder race is a old human empire that want to return to earth and their tech and adv and node tech so powerful it feel like it's magic even to sol force or atleast part of their ai ship runing around :googly:

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. Not really that interesting an angle anymore. Besides, it would probably require a major asspull to make it work.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

DarkCecilo

Post by DarkCecilo » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:46 pm

Beyond ascension of physical bodies (Which I have no clue if is possible in this universe), There really isn't THAT many places you can hide in one galaxy. Sure it is.. well. There are a lot of places you can hide. But typically not ultra-advanced goodies. Treasure hunters really like to stick their noses in places..

Anyway. Beyond a possible ascension, the only thing I can think of is if the elder races somehow built an FTL Drive that can propel them across the void between Galaxies, But that would require.. quite a bit. Massive ships, or a lot of automation, Near or at 100% Efficiency. NO waste at all. And.. possibly automated supply ships that you just tow with you for even more fuel and power.

If someone or something actually managed to get to another Galaxy.. our home races are in it deep. An empire that huge and advanced is just.. far out of our combined leagues.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:50 pm

There are plenty of places to hide in a galaxy. The SotSverse only covers a fraction of the stars in one half of the Milky Way galaxy, and there are other galaxies in the universe.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

sob

Post by sob » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:19 pm

I doubt we even got out of our spiral arm yet.

What do the different races know about these old empires are the ruins for example.
you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:28 am

If there were any, they've eroded into dust by now. We're talking many hundred thousands to millions of years here. Nothing that isn't being actively maintained lasts that long.

The rest tends to be somewhat less than approachable. Sparky's not much talk.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

erdrik

Post by erdrik » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:37 am

Azrael Ultima wrote:If there were any, they've eroded into dust by now. We're talking many hundred millions to billions of years here. Nothing that isn't being actively maintained lasts that long.

The rest tends to be somewhat less than approachable. Sparky's not much talk.

Fixed that for ya.

Return to “The Lore”