The Elder Races

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

Formid

Re: The Elder Races

Post by Formid » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:04 am

Azrael Ultima wrote:If there were any, they've eroded into dust by now. We're talking many hundred thousands to millions of years here. Nothing that isn't being actively maintained lasts that long.

Depends on what they're made of. Playable SOTS factions can get crap like quark resonators and adamantine alloys and neutronium rounds. That's pretty durable...and vacuum is a great preserver. Of course the odds of running into anything in vacuum are more than astronomically small. As has been said, there's an unimaginable number of places to hide in a galaxy. Last I heard the Milky Way is up to an estimated 200 Billion-with-a-B stars. The nearest to our own is 4 Light years away. So much emptiness in between...

Goomich

Post by Goomich » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:48 am

There is much emptiness, because it happens we live in low density neighborhood. As for places for hiding, I would look at Pillars of Creations and other places with lots of gas and dust.

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:15 pm

Formid wrote:
Azrael Ultima wrote:If there were any, they've eroded into dust by now. We're talking many hundred thousands to millions of years here. Nothing that isn't being actively maintained lasts that long.

Depends on what they're made of. Playable SOTS factions can get crap like quark resonators and adamantine alloys and neutronium rounds. That's pretty durable...and vacuum is a great preserver. Of course the odds of running into anything in vacuum are more than astronomically small. As has been said, there's an unimaginable number of places to hide in a galaxy. Last I heard the Milky Way is up to an estimated 200 Billion-with-a-B stars. The nearest to our own is 4 Light years away. So much emptiness in between...

Anything left in space unmaintained is going to be pretty much indistinguishable from a rock. Anything not in space will have been ground down to dirt, even if it is made from adamantine.
Everything findable that is still good for anything would have been found already. The oldest things you're likely to find are Morrigi relics, as anything older would already have been swept up by them.

That aside, space is quite literally mostly that. Space. The fraction of it occupied by mass is miniscule even in the densest regions. You'd have problems finding a "dark" object of a few hundred meters length in our own solar system, never mind in interstellar space.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

DarkCecilo

Post by DarkCecilo » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:25 pm

Ahh. My mistake then. *puts afraid hat back on*

Formid

Post by Formid » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:06 am

Azrael Ultima wrote:Anything left in space unmaintained is going to be pretty much indistinguishable from a rock. Anything not in space will have been ground down to dirt, even if it is made from adamantine.

Well, gradual accumulation of cosmic dust would make them rather hard to pick up, yes.

rexx1888

Post by rexx1888 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:03 am

umm, the scale you're using to prove that the universe should be empty is exactly the reason that doesnt make sense..... i mean, we exist, and were supposedly a fluke, but here we are. Id put serious money that there are many billions of other species out there in the universe(which is millions of billions of billions of systems) and theyr probably firing stuff into space all the time like we are and that stuff is floating around sending out signals and reflecting light and all the rest.. really the universe is a big noisy place. Essentially, there is probably an awful lot of stuff out there to find just floating around waiting to be found.
Regards,

Rexx

Goomich

The Elder Races

Post by Goomich » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:43 am

rexx1888 wrote:umm, the scale you're using to prove that the universe should be empty is exactly the reason that doesnt make sense..... i mean, we exist, and were supposedly a fluke,

No, not really.

Formid

Post by Formid » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:32 pm

rexx1888 wrote:Id put serious money that there are many billions of other species out there in the universe.

Even if that's the case...that's much, much less than a single plankton in an empty version of the pacific ocean. The universe is really, really, absolutely, indescribably, nearly infinitely bigger than any other thing that is also bigger than you can possibly imagine.

Observe the attachment. That is the visible universe. Those big string like things stretching across the image are called filaments. Each little dot, each tiny little dust mote that makes up the strings in that image, is a cluster of a cluster of galaxies. It takes billions of those to cover just a bit of that space.

Multiple billions of sentient species amount to absolutely nothing.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:04 pm

It's all fun and games until someone unleashes a System Killer.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:20 am

Formid wrote:
rexx1888 wrote:Id put serious money that there are many billions of other species out there in the universe.

Even if that's the case...that's much, much less than a single plankton in an empty version of the pacific ocean. The universe is really, really, absolutely, indescribably, nearly infinitely bigger than any other thing that is also bigger than you can possibly imagine.

Observe the attachment. That is the visible universe. Those big string like things stretching across the image are called filaments. Each little dot, each tiny little dust mote that makes up the strings in that image, is a cluster of a cluster of galaxies. It takes billions of those to cover just a bit of that space.

Multiple billions of sentient species amount to absolutely nothing.

Pretty much that. Many people seriously underestimate just how ludicrously large the universe is.

Most of which is filled with the closest equivalent to nothing the universe can muster.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

heart of midlothian

Post by heart of midlothian » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:42 pm

Are there any surviving elder races by the time sots 2 takes place?, so far weve only encountered relics or engrams. which makes me wonder did they all die or did they just 'sod off' and leave the galaxy?

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:23 am

Well, the two possibilities are not mutually exclusive.

In general, you would not want to meet a living representative of an Elder Race. I believe the only Elder entity which is really alive in the classical sense of the word is the Puppetmaster.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

heart of midlothian

Post by heart of midlothian » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:25 pm

Wouldnt want to meat one? well there goes my idea of the elder races beeing all peacful and freidnly, Now i just need to play the game and hope i encounter this puppet master.
should be interesting eeting a elder

Heart of Storm

Post by Heart of Storm » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:31 pm

heart of midlothian wrote:Wouldnt want to meat one? well there goes my idea of the elder races beeing all peacful and freidnly, Now i just need to play the game and hope i encounter this puppet master.
should be interesting eeting a elder

Puppetmaster is in SotS Prime, haven't seen him in SotS II yet (in fact i havent seen *any* GMs for a while - which is lucky, the new locusts alone were scary enough)

Return to “The Lore”