Immersions DLC "races" lore and tech differences?

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

Ludovsky

Immersions DLC "races" lore and tech differences?

Post by Ludovsky » Wed May 23, 2012 3:22 pm

I'm not sure if this should be in tech or lore(to Mods: Feel free to move to tthe most appropriate section if needed), but I was reading again about the various "Immersion" DLC pack recently and learned they were actually meant to represent various subfactions of the universe, rather than "just" being "prettier models" DLCs.

Which I actually appreciated as it does explains the rather different visuals between the original models and their "Immersion" version, whilst further fleshing out the universe.

Now, though, I actually kind of wondered about some of the other lore behind them, as well as potential difference in philosophy and technology(meaning, what techs and such do they prefer to research, even if they might use the same "mechanics" than their "parents"), , though I know they use the very same gameplay mechanics than their "parent" races, a such as visions of other races

Specifically, though, the three ones I wonders about are the Human Freeholds, Morrigis Harpies and the Hivers Obsidian fleets.

Solforce versus Freeholds: From what I gathered, Freeholds are those human factions independants from Solforce and other factions. Are they related to the SOTS1 Human Civil War scenario(if anything of the like actually happened beyond a "what if?").
And similarly they seem to be implied to have access to less ressources/tech, at least in their beginnings, so how would this reflect in term of prefferences?

For example, do they prefer to use Battle-riders groups over conventional cruiser fleets, for the cheaper costs? Or have some Freeholds actually managed to have such success as to potentially rival even some of Solforce's more advanced fleets, for lack of numbers? Similarly, how do most Freeholds generally see other aliens species?

Hivers Imperium versus Obsidian Crown's Clan: As far as I know, Obsidian Crown's clan is actually the fleet which attempted to invade Earth.
Is their addition as an Immersion pack purely cosmetic, or did elements of their Clan survive and, somehow, recover? If they are still kicking around and "independent" from the Imperium, how differently from the Hivers Imperium have they become, tech-wise? Or do they still try to somehow hold onto to the same Imperial "traditions"?

Morrigis Confederation versus the Harpies: Lore seems to implies the Harpies raised as a group during the Sulligis wars to combat the mind-controlled Screamers, who invaded the Morrigis systems with their Suul'ka masters during the middle of a resurgence for the Morrigis civilizations. Similarly, females are traditionally the ships and cities builders of the Morrigis civilizations.

Therefore, how differently have the Harpies developped from the main body of the Morrigis race? What kind of technologies or ships do they prefers, especially with having being formed during a resurgence of their civilizations, but admitedly probably cut off from the main body, and ressources, of their races due to their exile? Similarly, how do they see other races compared to the Confederation and do they still tries to follow their race's tradition of trading and diplomacy, perhaps as a further insult to tenant of the male/female separation of roles within their race, or have they taken to different(more millitant?) lifestyles as a result of the period they were "born" in?

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Re: Immersions DLC "races" lore and tech differences?

Post by Erinys » Wed May 23, 2012 7:23 pm

In practical terms, there will be no technological difference between splinter factions and the core faction. The technology and battle behavior is the same.

In Lore terms, there are important differences between Freeholds and charter colonies, but there is also a strong and hidden relationship between Sol Force and her Independents. There is a reason, for example, that Independent ships and technology, although they are never plentiful enough to pose a real threat, are always up to date.

The Obsidian Fleet represents an alternative reality in which Obsidian Crown and her sons won the game of thrones, and Radiant Frost and her clan became the exiles. How this would have played out in the real world is unknown; some might like to think, for example, that if their positions were reversed, that Radiant Frost would not have simply tried to scour the earth of human life and take it over. But in truth, we will never know.

The Harpies are different from Travelers in some respects, but keep in mind that ALL Morrigi vessels and tech are built and designed by women, at the end of the day. A male Morrigi naval architect does not engineer ships so much as he collects the desired design specifications from the Morru Khan and supervises the work done.

For this reason, the ship tech and technological progress of a Harpy-led empire are not significantly different from the usual. As to their tactics and strategies, they generally fight and think like Morrigi. The major difference is not in how they achieve their goals, but what those goals are.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Wed May 23, 2012 8:01 pm

Much thanks for you answers, they were quite informative :)

I admit the "goal" bit of the harpies is one of the things I'm the most curious about. Morrigis are traditionally seen as traders and, to some level, diplomats so I wondered if the same applied to Harpies to some level, despite technically sharing the same tech.

Also, though I now see their is nonetheless a rather close link between Freeholds and Solforce, do Freeholds sometimes try to follow different "paths" than Solforce or is their technology really more or less directly supplied by Solforce?
This is kinda asked from the basis that two "human" players in the game might both play humans for example, yet focus on different tech for weapons as the game progress though the other player also could research the same weapons and design the very same ships... if he wished to, though situations might have him prefer one "path" over another.
This is something I wondered about especially since humans are seen generally as technological generalists, thus with the most "freedom" in regard to choices or or lack of traditionally preffered techs.

I admit the answer for the Obsidian Fleet was much appreciated as well and bring some interesting wonderings.

Tarrak

Post by Tarrak » Wed May 23, 2012 8:14 pm

Erinys wrote:The Harpies are different from Travelers in some respects, but keep in mind that ALL Morrigi vessels and tech are built and designed by women, at the end of the day. A male Morrigi naval architect does not engineer ships so much as he collects the desired design specifications from the MOrry Khan and supervises the work done.

For this reason, the ship tech and technological progress of a Harpy-led empire are not significantly different from the usual. As to their tactics and strategies, they generally fight and think like Morrigi. The major difference is not in how they achieve their goals, but what those goals are.

--Arinn

The females are significantly bigger right? And spaceships are not all that generous with internal space, so wouldn't the Morrigi designs be somewhat different if they are incorporate the females as crew? Bunks, seats, entryways, hallways... So many places where it wouldn't be fun to be bigger. I know that our own current ships can easily accomodate bigger humans, but they remain a small minority, and personal experience tells me that they do not enjoy it.
Every time you use 'fluff' for lore a Kerberos developer dies. And they are already an endangered species.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Thu May 24, 2012 2:52 am

I suppose the command pillars and gun pillars might be a little cramped for a woman, but in reality the interiors of Morrigi starships always had to be relatively spacious relative to the space required for essential personnel. These ships are not just functional vessels but homes to male Travelers on the tribal level, and the ships are typically crammed with not only fighting men but old men and boy fledglings.

When female Morrigi crew a starship, they include only essential personnel, which leaves a lot more interior space for refitting and supplies. Female crews are also more difficult to supply, contrary to the Human and Tarka norms.

--Arinn

Tarrak

Post by Tarrak » Thu May 24, 2012 1:35 pm

Ah yes... the traveling homes, hadn't really taken that into account.

More difficult to supply? How so? Do they eat differently? Or are we talking about replacements?
Every time you use 'fluff' for lore a Kerberos developer dies. And they are already an endangered species.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Thu May 24, 2012 6:06 pm

Tarrak wrote:Ah yes... the traveling homes, hadn't really taken that into account.

More difficult to supply? How so? Do they eat differently? Or are we talking about replacements?

They have much more muscle mass and accordingly a much greater need for calories.

Alps, your comment has been deleted. And if you ever make another comment that obnoxiously sexist on my forum, you'll be departing the premises permanently.

--Arinn

Tarrak

Post by Tarrak » Thu May 24, 2012 7:19 pm

But if there are fewer of them... Ah well, I can see issues arising. No plans of actually having low supply Harpy ships? :o

Genth

Post by Genth » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:34 am

Erinys wrote:The Obsidian Fleet represents an alternative reality in which Obsidian Crown and her sons won the game of thrones, and Radiant Frost and her clan became the exiles. How this would have played out in the real world is unknown; some might like to think, for example, that if their positions were reversed, that Radiant Frost would not have simply tried to scour the earth of human life and take it over. But in truth, we will never know.

--Arinn

Meep, I just started a game on the SOTSverse map, trying to make things accurate, and went with immersion Hiver because I liked the look better... and Named my faction Radiant Frost along with the appropriate avatar and badge! :oops:

CrystalDragonSora

Post by CrystalDragonSora » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:59 am

Genth wrote:
Erinys wrote:The Obsidian Fleet represents an alternative reality in which Obsidian Crown and her sons won the game of thrones, and Radiant Frost and her clan became the exiles. How this would have played out in the real world is unknown; some might like to think, for example, that if their positions were reversed, that Radiant Frost would not have simply tried to scour the earth of human life and take it over. But in truth, we will never know.

--Arinn

Meep, I just started a game on the SOTSverse map, trying to make things accurate, and went with immersion Hiver because I liked the look better... and Named my faction Radiant Frost along with the appropriate avatar and badge! :oops:

...That's awkward. D:
The Crystal Dragon has a blog and Twitter!
We are...seven swords in unison.

The sun was born, and so it shall die, so only shadows comfort me. I know in darkness, I will find you, giving up inside like me... Each day shall end as it begins, and though you're far away from me... I know in darkness, I will find you, giving up inside like me...

Ruathan

Post by Ruathan » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:05 am

Genth wrote:

--Arinn

So? You're the queen! If you want your ships painted black, paint 'em black!

Heart of Storm

Post by Heart of Storm » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:52 am

So, in the same vein, what do the immersion packs for Liir, Tarka and Suul'ka Horde represent?

EDIT:

Derp, just found a whole thread dealing with this on the next page...

Return to “The Lore”