A question. Proteans: Their creators' age.

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

Ludovsky

A question. Proteans: Their creators' age.

Post by Ludovsky » Wed May 30, 2012 11:36 pm

A bit of a wonder I've had regarding Proteans.
So far, many things seems to hint that they are the creation of a very old race, extremely advanced.

But I was wondering a bit recently... we "assume" that their creators are old.... but what if they are actually younger than our expectations(though I admit, a lot of the hints seem to really imply an older species). Something maybe of this generation, even to some level.

However, unless I recall wrong, the age of the proteans has never actually been revealed. And even if there has been some comments that might make one look like they have been there for a while, one does not know how long they actually have been there. All we know is that they are the result of "frighteningly advanced biotechnology" but it has never been specified if that technology was actually of "Elder Race" age, or actually current generation age, where the oldest species would be the Suul'ka. Ancient, and tremendously powerful, but still of this "stellar generation" so to speak... and the Suul'ka themselves know a thing or two about biotechnology and manipulation... and they probably were not the only things around the stars when they first took off, one would imagine, leaving the possibility of other races of high level of advancement that also were around then... and might still be.

So the question would be, are the creators of the proteans from one the previous stellar generations, those of the "Elder Races".... or of the current generation(and by this, I mean starting with the Suul'ka... which means we're still talking a good up to 300 000 years timespan, which is not something to be triffled with nonetheless even if the Suul'ka are still no "elder race")?

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Re: A question. Proteans: Their creators' age.

Post by Erinys » Thu May 31, 2012 12:22 am

The creators of the Proteans were an Elder Race. This puts the date of their peak civilization into a period before the formation of the Earth as a rocky planet. 4-5 billion years at least.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Thu May 31, 2012 12:34 am

Thank you :)

Heart of Storm

Post by Heart of Storm » Thu May 31, 2012 9:51 pm

Erinys wrote:The creators of the Proteans were an Elder Race. This puts the date of their peak civilization into a period before the formation of the Earth as a rocky planet. 4-5 billion years at least.

--Arinn

And the use of past tense in this post blows my theory as to what one of the new races will be :(

Korgan

Post by Korgan » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:16 am

not necessarily, it's possible they've just degraded enough to no longer be considered an elder race, especially if they peaked as a civilization 4-5 billion years ago.. Just look at the Morrigi for example.. a lot can happen to a race, but that doesn't mean they're gone. There is also the possibility that another race now uses the proteans *shrug*

Allattar

Post by Allattar » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:38 am

Not necessarily :)

Wish I remembered which book this was from.
In one effort to circumvent interstellar travel being limited to light speed, colonisation was undergone via virus, albeit a big mega virus.

The virus kept the DNA templates of an entire planet, fired off basically in comets into the galaxy. When it found somewere suitable said virus activates.
First thing out the virus is a genetic construct to bioform an environment. Then the idea is said virus would recreate the creatures and eventually species that built it.

You are then ressurrecting a species. Great way to travel long distances for a race of beings, or to hide out a great doom.

Of course whatever is recreated has to relearn everything.

edit:
Of course as the Proteans are references to Shoggoths I am trying to remember the Cthulhu mythos. What was really written by H.P Lovecraft and what was in all the rpg setting, and everywhere else.

Personally I like the idea that the Proteans/Gardeners are resurrecting an old race :).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory
Every darn time.
shadow wolf wrote:Sorry to be so English.

Naja
Doomsayer

Post by Naja » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:56 pm

Shoggoths, if I understand the Lovecraft background, were also a servitor race. However, they ultimately rebelled against their creators after becoming sufficiently advanced. Is there a similar dynamic going on?

Allattar

Post by Allattar » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:53 pm

Yes, servitors, gardeners...

Created for a purpose...

:insane:
Every darn time.

CrystalDragonSora

Post by CrystalDragonSora » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:58 pm

Allattar wrote:Yes, servitors, gardeners...

Created for a purpose...

:insane:

That face makes me wish to ask one thing...

Permission to panic and hide under bed?
The Crystal Dragon has a blog and Twitter!
We are...seven swords in unison.

The sun was born, and so it shall die, so only shadows comfort me. I know in darkness, I will find you, giving up inside like me... Each day shall end as it begins, and though you're far away from me... I know in darkness, I will find you, giving up inside like me...

AlpsStranger

Post by AlpsStranger » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:16 pm

Both the Proteans and the Suul'Ka were created in their present forms 6000 years ago.

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:25 pm

Actually, a return of the Elder race as the actual playable race wouldn't be that far-fetched.... especially with the Elder Things refference.

After all, Lovecraft's Elder Things were a race supposedly responsible for seeding Earth with life(if I recall well, but a theme that would fit well with them if the Proteans/Gardeners are/were their servants), forming a great and extremely advanced civilization... then undergoing a radical downfall, if not literal devolution in Lovecraft's version especially(Apparently in Lovecraftian lore, starfishes would be the modern forms of the Elder Things).

This would be basically the fall of the Morrigis Empire, multiple 10.

Heck, they might have even been a relatively unadvanced independant or yet unknown races who has suddenly fallen again on the troves of knowledge of their ancestors(anyone recall homeworld's finding of the guidestone, for example?), thus deciding to take to the stars again to achieves their proper destiny and reclaim the place they are "owed" in the galactic order of things.

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:13 am

AlpsStranger wrote:Both the Proteans and the Suul'Ka were created in their present forms 6000 years ago.

:roll: This is not helpfull.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:07 pm

Actually the original suul'ka first took to the stars about 300 000 years ago and was joined by other suul'kas over the courses of dozen of millenias, until the day the Liirs themselves decided to take to the stars after the last "suul'ka launch".

Meanwhile, elder races are races that were are their space empire's prime more than 500 000 years ago. Quite a difference ;)
Last edited by Ludovsky on Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:39 pm

Azrael Ultima wrote:
AlpsStranger wrote:Both the Proteans and the Suul'Ka were created in their present forms 6000 years ago.

:roll: This is not helpfull.

Indeed. Some Creationist scholars would argue that the whole universe was created a mere eight years ago at the latest.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

Allattar

Post by Allattar » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:33 pm

doh that took me a while to understand.. lol
Every darn time.

Return to “The Lore”