Random Encounter and Grand Menace list?(spoilers!)

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

Ludovsky

Random Encounter and Grand Menace list?(spoilers!)

Post by Ludovsky » Thu May 31, 2012 12:04 am

Just figured it might be helpful to have this thread somewhere, but since I couldn't find one anywhere, I decided it might be helpful to have a thread listing all the random encounters and Grand Menaces known to SOTS(and specifically SOTS2) somehwhere, alongside with what we know about those beings... adding more informations to each entries as people post.
Similarly, with a second list about random encounters and grand menaces which were in SOTS1 but had not, or haven't yet, been added to SOTS2.

Feel free to move this thread to the Lore section if it would better fit there.
Similarly, if there's anything I forget, please feel free to post here so I can add it to the list.

The list sofar(SOTS2):

Random Encounters:
Slavers: A classic, who were proven to have been the Zuul along. Independent Zuul ships that swoop by planet to raid them and collect slaves.

Pirates Raiders: Hodgepodge fleet of raiders who attack commerce ships. Seems to be a loose association of independent ship banding together for the extra firepower. Actually seem to be made of multiple races(so far I've spotted Zuul, human and Morrigis ships specifically myself, though others might also be found). One might assume them to possibly thus be outcasts or deserters(especially due to their use of millitary hardware) from their respective races.

Spectres: Energy beings thought to be from nodespace. Attack beings of this universe in unfocused fashion, supposedly because of the disturbance of nodespace.

Von Neumann Collectors: For all known informations about them, a galactic mapping/sampling automated system of self-replicating probes gone "rogue" due to possibly following their programming all too well. Not intelligent, reffered to as akin to a very advanced expert system design, with -extremely- complex problem-solving mechanisms... complex enough to possibly allow them to copy the design of one of the most dreaded grand menaces in the game to "remove" problems on their path(though a sudden wondering might make one asks ifthey actually "copied" it... or if their creators might be the same than Mr.Sparky, thus the "design" having been part of their backlog of "solutions" in the first place).
Thought to be the creation of an Elder Race.

Swarm(Sillicoids): Apparently an automated mining mechanism gone "feral", long forgotten by it's probably departed creators. In hindsight, though they seem nonetheless crude compared to most other "elder races" creations out there in both appearance and technology which seem very basic compared to other(except for their ability to replicate).
Random personal speculation: I almost wonder if they might not be the creation of something actually "younger" than the actual elder races, their age having never really been confirmed as far as I know.

Asteroid Monitors: Ancient morrigis relic, defense stations hidden within asteroids.

Tholos Tombs: Ancient Morrigis relic. Old tombs of important members of their species, still guarded by automated drones since centuries.

Proteans: Very little known. Tentacled "beings" floating around the orbit of planets with -very high- biodiversity. Said to be the results of "frighteningly advanced biotechnology". Said to be "sleeping" in wait for their master's return. Confirmed not to be a Suul'ka creation despite the advanced use of biotechnology(a suul'ka/liir specialty). Have been said to have a lovecraftian vibe to them.

The Flying Dutchman(Ghost Levianthan): An immense derelict "ghost ship", it goes from system to system, attacking colonies without warning or seeming cause.
The ship does not come from nowhere however, as it was revealed to actually be the SFS Leviathan, the very human ship to disapear when the Argos Naval Yard was struck. The attack is thought to be action of a Suul'ka.
There are speculations that the ship was "screamed" like the Kragodai had been by the Siren, though it is unlikely the siren was involved for it is reffered that whatever control the ship, it is not directed by the Suul'ka even if a Suul'ka was behind it.

Grand Menaces:

The System Killer: An ancient forgotten weapon of by-gone wars, it was supposedly involved in a war which saw the extinction of both it's original makers and their enemies... their only surviving relic beind this automated world doomsday machine.

The Locusts Homeworld: An elevated race of transcarbon entity, who at some point in their history have uploaded themselves into artificial bodies as engrams... though whether they can still be counted as such, due to their increasing amount of self-replication of their original selves and a potential warping effect of these selves, might lead one to asks whether they can still be considered such(iirc answers in other threads). They now assault worlds, which they strip of all ressources when they are done leaving only barren spheres.

SOTS1 List:
(Those beings which have yet to be showcased in SOTS2?)

Random Encounters:
The Refugees: An unknown races of relatively advanced aliens(does anyone ever got screenshots of them by the way?). Highly developped but still within the span of this stellar generation and technological era. They would stop by an empire with their fleet(including a dreadnought), then request a planet for themselves(along other things). If a player would give in their demand they would colonize a system and help them with researches(amongst other things) but if not they would continue their exodus but this time raid the player's trade and ressources. Lore-wise, they were said to have arrived in human space, colonized a system that was given to them only to disapear without warning.

Alien Derelicts(unlikely to come back in SOTS2 with the Suul'ka's reveal, I guess): Large dreadnought sized derelict automated ships of unknow alien origin, wielding much firepower. Sword of the Stars 2 proved them to actually be the spare remains of a Suul'ka suit.

Grand Menaces:

The Peacekeeper: An "enforcer" of a past-civilization, most probably an Elder Race. Is suspected to be an Engram. Come by system to enforce various belligerent faction to follow long-forgotten treaties, punishing "violators" with extreme prejudices. Has yet to manifest again in SOTS2?

The Puppeteer: A ship of unknown origin not fully in this space(suspected to be partly within the minescus but not confirmed?). It would fly by system, taking control of planets or ships on it's way with a strange beam like weapon. Suspected to be inspired by "Homeworld: Cataclysm" 's Beast, little else is actually known of it. Has yet to manifest again in SOTS2?
Unknown origins.

The Herald(unlikely to come around again, with the long-done reveal of the Zuul): A rather large alien ship of unknown origins. It would fly by systems, with cruisers-sized battleriders in tow, doing some devastations whilst sending morale-shattering broadcasts to the "attacked" planet. Hinted to have been a Zuul turned a "little crazy" from his possible discovery of the Suul'ka, or at least hints of their existence.

-----------------------

Other beings hinted by lore, but that haven't appeared ingame yet:

The Kragodai/Screamers: We know that they were the brainwashed morrigis slaves of the sirens, and that the harpies fought against them, butI do not think we ever heard(if at all) of their current status, whether they are still around, somewhere, or whether they actually all died out,
Last edited by Ludovsky on Thu May 31, 2012 11:46 am, edited 8 times in total.

Mecron
Kerberos

Re: Random Encounter and Grand Menace list?

Post by Mecron » Thu May 31, 2012 12:05 am

you may want to put spoilers in the title ;)

Ludovsky

Re: Random Encounter and Grand Menace list?(spoilers!)

Post by Ludovsky » Thu May 31, 2012 12:10 am

Thanks for the suggestion, will do :)

Admiral

Post by Admiral » Thu May 31, 2012 6:34 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that the refugee's were a GM, and the Herald was a normal Random ;)

Tarrak

Post by Tarrak » Thu May 31, 2012 6:55 am

The Screamers, unless tampered with in terms of bioengineering (unlikely given the Siren was their controller), can safely be considered dead. They were all male, little chance of that resulting in offspring. And while Morrigi live long lives, this is too long for an effective force to still exist. Also one has to consider the losses they suffered in battle, apparently they were not very sophisticated in tactics.
At best we can hope to come across the remnants of their fleets. Would be an interesting encounter though. But at the same time it would mostly be a lot of drones, and we have plenty of that kind of randoms.
Every time you use 'fluff' for lore a Kerberos developer dies. And they are already an endangered species.

Garfield78

Post by Garfield78 » Thu May 31, 2012 8:04 am

Admiral wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that the refugee's were a GM, and the Herald was a normal Random ;)

the refugees were also a normal random got them in :any: around the turns 35 - 70 and they were never a GM their B5 Raider
battle wagon was much too weak ;)
All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Thu May 31, 2012 11:48 am

Actually, have anyone ever got a screenshot of the refugees? I've often been curious as to what they actually looked like.

Also, as they were a space travelling civilization.... anyone know what they actually used for FTL drive?

I wonder if it's something that was utterly unknown until then.... or actually quite "strangely familiar"...

Weidekuh

Post by Weidekuh » Thu May 31, 2012 1:13 pm

you forgot two:

random encounter:
Asteroids: An asteroid shower flying towards your planet. Every hit kills population and destroys infrastructure. Damage depends on size of asteroid. Killed asteroids increase planetary ressources. Chance of encounter is higher with a bigger / more asteroids belts in system.

(maybe) Grand Menace:
The Comet: A huge comet flying towards one of your planets killing the entire population if it hits.
Last edited by Weidekuh on Thu May 31, 2012 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Heart of Storm

Post by Heart of Storm » Thu May 31, 2012 1:41 pm

+ 1 for both the above, Asteroids in SotS and SotS 2, I've only ever seen the Comet in SotS II (didnt think it was a grand menace though, since it only glassed one world)

Also forgotten.

Asteroid Traps - SotS 1 only, automated Morrigi drone that triggers a gravity weapon within an asteroid field when mining operations are attempted, ships are trapped by this and battered by asteroids drawn into the centre of the field.

Colony Traps - SotS 1 only, automated Morrigi drones that attack colony fleets, using a tractor beam to snare enemy ships and drag them into the gravity world

*forgotten name* - there was another Morrigi random, in SotS 1 where a cloaked destroyer fleet would ambush you in system, forget what it was called though.

All the above are normal menaces

Kaan'Ish

Post by Kaan'Ish » Thu May 31, 2012 5:10 pm

[quote="Heart of Storm*forgotten name* - there was another Morrigi random, in SotS 1 where a cloaked destroyer fleet would ambush you in system, forget what it was called though.
[/quote]

'Unknown Vessels', if memory serves. They're a bit much for scouting parties to handle. Managed to survive them a couple of times by running away at top speed, discretion being the better part of valour, and all that :)

Tarrak

Post by Tarrak » Thu May 31, 2012 10:27 pm

The Unknown Vessels were the vanguard of Atreus' campaign of anger.
Every time you use 'fluff' for lore a Kerberos developer dies. And they are already an endangered species.

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Thu May 31, 2012 11:45 pm

Regarding the screamers being around or not, I'll admit part of my wondering is the appearance of a new potentially "screamed" group, in the SFS Leviathan. There are many who link it to the reveal of the suul'ka due to the original trailers, but there's been mention about how only the siren can make people scream... and keep control.

Mostly random wondering, but since most people think a new race would be linked to the proteans, I wonder if we might not be actually looking at the wrong "player" so to speak.

Probably most unlikely to be related to the Leviathan either though, I guess.

Return to “The Lore”