Liir intended to be extremely vulnerable to boarding?

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

Sevain

Re: Liir intended to be extremely vulnerable to boarding?

Post by Sevain » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:53 am

fiendishrabbit wrote:Not just venting the atmosphere. You could most likely poison it too or adjust it in other ways that's not very healthy for anyone lacking a hazmat/vacuum suit.

Not to mention that waste reclaimation is most likely the prime source of large amounts of toxic chemicals on a ship, and very likely accessible from the same control facility (environmental engineers would be in charge of both).
That is the thing though. What are the odds of your enemies not having re-breathers? They are in space: a suit that can keep you from choking if something goes wrong is a very high priority to provide for your forces. Sure there are plenty of ways to kill them eventually through ship controls, but they will have a while to re-take them.

That Schmuck

Post by That Schmuck » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:43 pm

Erinys wrote:
That Schmuck wrote:Don't forget, the big advantage zuul have in boarding parties is, on top of lots of big strong females for his claw, each male zuul will be turning any crew he finds into new slaves... fast. Assuming they aren't food. I would imagine you could lose a ship fast if a third of the crew suddenly joined the boarding party.

Even if they only "joined" for long enough to blow their own brains out, a Zuul in the House is a problem.

--Arinn

Hey, free food!

fiendishrabbit

Post by fiendishrabbit » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:07 pm

Sevain wrote:That is the thing though. What are the odds of your enemies not having re-breathers? They are in space: a suit that can keep you from choking if something goes wrong is a very high priority to provide for your forces. Sure there are plenty of ways to kill them eventually through ship controls, but they will have a while to re-take them.

I don't know if this is true for various SOTS space forces. But the stuff equipped to regular troopers vs environmental warfare is usually the no-frills bare minimum stuff (for cost reasons).
You can survive severely toxic stuff, but you're not going to be able to fight in it (at least not effectively). Stuff like long-term corrosion-resistance, full-mobility in toxic environment, slash-/puncture-resistance (that isn't the "fill the affected part with foam and immobilize the limb in the process)" etc.
You can't trust the Liir. Never trust someone that smiles all the time.

motorbit

Post by motorbit » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:16 pm

there is this nice loading screen artwork ingame, showing the human battlesuit. looks pretty waterproof to me. i dont see any reason other races where incapable of building simmilar stuff for their boarding / ship defence crews.

The Apprentice

Post by The Apprentice » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:12 pm

Incapable, no. Not going to because of cost/space concerns, yes. Look at existing submarines- interior space is at a premium. Aside from storage space, all the corridors would have to be larger to accommodate moving around in suits that add x feet of height and width.
Feel free to call me App- it's shorter.

motorbit

Post by motorbit » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:17 pm

so the humans are the only race then spending extra moneys to afford the luxury of having combat suits? unlikely.

fiendishrabbit

Post by fiendishrabbit » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:46 pm

motorbit wrote:so the humans are the only race then spending extra moneys to afford the luxury of having combat suits? unlikely.

Well. They're likely to spend that money on dedicated boarding/defence crews. But how much of the total crew is going to wear those nifty boarding suits?

motorbit

Post by motorbit » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:31 pm

at last the boarding crews XD
but yeah, id expect this to be some sort of standard operation... red alert goes up, get into that suit. hullbreaks are to be expected, whole parts of the ship will depressure or start burning... not having these suits seems suicidal to me.

fiendishrabbit

Post by fiendishrabbit » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:51 pm

motorbit wrote:at last the boarding crews XD
but yeah, id expect this to be some sort of standard operation... red alert goes up, get into that suit. hullbreaks are to be expected, whole parts of the ship will depressure or start burning... not having these suits seems suicidal to me.

Not having a zero-G suit. Yes. Suicidal.

Every military Zero-G suit being equipped for boarding duty? Definitely not in the case of humans. Brawler suits is definitely not standard equipment.

http://sots.rorschach.net/Category:Human_Military

fibio

Post by fibio » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:05 pm

To be honest all you'd need for standard operating is a skin tight/air tight suit, a plastic helmet and a small oxygen tank for emergancies. Anything that tears through the hull is probably going to kill you regardless of what you have on and if you're doing anything dangerous like maintainance or EVA you can change into a stronger suit.
Buy my book - Six Seconds of Moonlight on the kindle store.

Anyone can be a god beneath the moonlight, but who can be a hero?

motorbit

Post by motorbit » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:29 pm

well, i have read the article on the wiki, but it does not tell if or if not they are standard equipment of warships.
however, there is that splash art showing the suit, and one thing the woman says is "you try to board this ship? youre going down!".
so i think its save to assume there are at last some on the warships to counter boardings.
also, compared to the costs of a space ship, such a suit would not be expensive. especially not if youre facing opponents that are known to use a lot of boarding and capture tacktics. finally, though i would not expect a war ship to be a luxury liner (maby exept for the crows), i would expect that the military command wuld find some space somwhere if it would improve survivability.

Tarrak

Post by Tarrak » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:32 pm

This heavily indicates the use of Brawlers on ships for defensive purposes. And it also shows what appears to be lighter suits on the two nearest humans.
Every time you use 'fluff' for lore a Kerberos developer dies. And they are already an endangered species.

fiendishrabbit

Post by fiendishrabbit » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:56 pm

*sigh*
Nobody stuff that I link.

As boarding actions become more common and close combat between Humans and relatively more physically able and powerful aliens becomes a problem, ship troops are being equipped with a handful of heavy powered armor known in the service as a "Brawl Suits". The bark of "Four Brawlers to Pod 2!" Or "Incoming pod, All Brawlers to port storage deck!" is becoming standard terminology.

"ship troops are being equipped with a handful of heavy powered armor known in the service as 'brawl suits'" being the operative sentence.
Note "handful", meaning less than 10 on most ships (although, those with boarding pods. A lot more).

Sevain

Post by Sevain » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:09 pm

http://sots.rorschach.net/Category:Human_Military wrote:As for battledress... What you see in the battle screens in–game is standard battledress.

There is a version with a sturdy backpack for extended hostile environment use. But even the standard has rebreathers enough to keep a Marine functioning for short periods of decompression or corrupted atmosphere.
The average crew member does not have a Brawler suit, but is nonetheless able to function for a while after the ship has suffered decompression.

motorbit

Post by motorbit » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:14 pm

yeah, i guess we can agree on that. would not make sense to have everyone aboard being the marine guy.
so... i wonder how this translates ingame. does the crew aboard have a weaker combat performance then the guys invading it? (assuming the same race for both)

Return to “The Lore”