Meteors - Who's sending them?

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

fibio

Re: Meteors - Who's sending them?

Post by fibio » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:47 pm

Ah that reminds me of a Rogue Trader game where we brought an Ork on a stealth mission, his whole preparation consisted of duct taping a pistol silencer to his axe. It was surprisingly effective.
Buy my book - Six Seconds of Moonlight on the kindle store.

Anyone can be a god beneath the moonlight, but who can be a hero?

That Schmuck

Post by That Schmuck » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:15 pm

fibio wrote:Ah that reminds me of a Rogue Trader game where we brought an Ork on a stealth mission, his whole preparation consisted of duct taping a pistol silencer to his axe. It was surprisingly effective.

.... I need to remember this for my Dark Heresy game.

fibio

Post by fibio » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:37 pm

We also got halfway through convincing him to paint himself black on the grounds it would make him 'stealfy' before the DM stopped us :lol:

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:39 pm

Wrong universe, folks. Let's keep it sorta kinda vaguely topical. I promised I would watch the signal to noise ratio on this forum.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:04 pm

It does make me wonder how your take on the Orks would look like, though.

Ah well, that's a topic for a different place and time.

Would the Hidden be jealous of these guys if he knew about them?
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Itharus

Post by Itharus » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:10 pm

I get the feeling The Hidden is pretty much jealous of everyone.
Go Hiver or go home!

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:18 am

Azrael Ultima wrote:It does make me wonder how your take on the Orks would look like, though.

In general I'm not super comfy with the "orc" concept in all popular fiction. WH 40K is no exception to that general rule. I try not to launch into any rants on the subject because honestly I don't want to spoil it for people who aren't bothered by it.

Zuul are about as far as I can go in that vein of black millinery. Vicious and culturally brutal. Artificially designed to have one half of the species be less intelligent in a way that is genetically reliable to recur. The rest of the species is unpleasantly equivalent to humans in intelligence and more than capable of building starships and high tech weapons. *shrug*

As to the fungus race--SotS already has one. The Mk'kose are a mycological intelligence. They are an independent race, but highly sophisticated by indie race standards, around Tech Level 4.

--Arinn

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:22 pm

Since i just came across the term in the Hiver thread... what about their subconcious metaconcert that is pretty much the only reason at least half of their tech even works?
(For those that don't know... an Ork can shoot you with a pipe if he's convinced it's a gun)
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:30 pm

Az--seriously. Not the place to discuss another universe.

--Arinn

heart of midlothian

Post by heart of midlothian » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:45 pm

Could the same person/people who are sending the asteroids be blowing up suns too?

Ryoku

Post by Ryoku » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:18 pm

heart of midlothian wrote:Could the same person/people who are sending the asteroids be blowing up suns too?

I doubt it, if you can supernova even just one sun, I'd have thought the SOTS races are still far below your notice. But then, apparently any size star at any stage in it's life can supernova in SOTS, so maybe?

fibio

Post by fibio » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:27 am

Well the US funded some research into turning our sun into a red giant recently and found it was possible with the nukes we have now. Besides, you never know what crazy FTL drives aliens might cook up, maybe its actually a portal opening ;p

Captiva

Post by Captiva » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:10 am

heart of midlothian wrote:Could the same person/people who are sending the asteroids be blowing up suns too?

I hope not.....Sots seems to have a race behind everything happening... The laws of nature have to have some effect, hopefully, in the Sots Universe.
But Even though Erinys already said it was a hidden entity throwing around meteors.. I had already came up with an answer myself, and since some people mentioned they couldn't see any scenerios where it could happen, I thought I would share.....

:idea: I like to just pretend that the maps in game are areas in deep space (between galaxies) where objects (stars, nebula, etc) are drawn together by gravity to form different patterns, Hence the different shapes of the maps.
With it also the gravity generated would draw in random clutter from deep space. So it does then become plausable (in my mind) that the random clutter or debris (Meteors) could then be randomly thrown into the different objects (planets) at fairly high intervals inside the deep space clusters (the maps), certainly at much much higher intervals and in larger groups than inside a galaxy where many other different forces are at play.....and also because there is probably alot of debris floating around out there in deep space.

Plus having the maps look like they are sitting in deep space, especially with the very large galaxy in the background, only fueled my imagination.
Ask not what Kerberos can do for you, but what you can do for Kerberos...

Simetra

Post by Simetra » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:31 pm

Only that your theory ignores the simple fact, that the SotS-verse is local space - and not some in between galaxy cluster ;)

Theories on why something happens in the SotS-verse are great, but they should not contradict the already known lore.

Captiva

Post by Captiva » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:04 pm

Simetra wrote:Only that your theory ignores the simple fact, that the SotS-verse is local space - and not some in between galaxy cluster ;)

Theories on why something happens in the SotS-verse are great, but they should not contradict the already known lore.

I was just sharing, and was well aware of where the Sots Universe takes place....but there are many maps in the game, and only one fits with established lore, so I don't really see any harm in sharing my idea.

I have never seen a rule stating we cannot share things that do not fully fit with established lore. I would hope if it was a problem Erinys would say something, in fact, I am sure she would. ;)
Ask not what Kerberos can do for you, but what you can do for Kerberos...

Return to “The Lore”