Insanity?

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

Genth

Insanity?

Post by Genth » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:39 am

Question time!

Do all the races suffer from mental illnesses? I don't mean mete megalomania, like the suul'ka, but can Hiver suffer schizophrenia like symptoms, can tarkas become bullemic, do old morrigi get dementia? And how do they view Human proclivity for neurodiversity? Humans can think in ways that are startlingly different from eachother, are other races the same?

levi_Will

Re: Insanity?

Post by levi_Will » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:27 pm

I would think so, since they are conditions of the mind, and Erinys has been trying to give the effect that each race is not a http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PlanetOfHats, so they would all suffer from mental insanity. Besides, Old Gods love inflicting such things on the younger races.
Mecron wrote:wow levi...you are previewing AND being a sarcasm master at the same time. Double awesome :thumbsup:

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:42 pm

Indeed, all the races in the SotSverse have their own versions of insanity. Fire Lotus is remembered as a "Mad Queen", for example, and "mad as Fire Lotus" is a common turn of phrase. Psychopathy is well known among Hivers, and indeed may be a heritable trait as in humans; some have whispered that Obsidian Crown carried a strain of madness passed on by her father, Iron Razor, a criminal so vile that he was sentenced to "immortal exile". Hivers are subject to occasionally intense phobias and anxieties, some of which are extremely common, including fear of water/drowning and heights. They can suffer from eating disorders, but anorexia nervosa and autophagia are the usual manifestations; bulimia is unknown. Females have some particularly terrifying variants of megalomania and "Munchausen's Syndrome by Proxy".

I have mentioned elsewhere that the Morrigi have certain cultural beliefs about dementia and memory loss which relate to their ancestor cult; they have a particular dread of amnesia and Alzheimer's-like symptoms. Some variant of the Alzheimer's has been seen in all sentient races except for the Liir and Zuul. Morrigi have variants on most human mental illnesses, with the exception of autism spectrum disorders. Sleep disorders and oneirophrenia are not uncommon in the females; narcissistic personality disorders are more common in males.

The Tarka have a variety of disorders which would be familiar to humans, including "grey eye", which is what they call the Tarka version of Autism Spectrum disorders (the lack of social signalling and shifting colors in the iris is a common means of diagnosing the disorder from infancy). They have other social connection disorders as well, including agoraphobia, a variety of powerful separation anxiety disorders (generally associated with family, but can also develop with lovers or "keepers" in the Changed male), and the reverse, the schizotypal personality disorder that demands isolation. Psychopathy is also known, as are dementia, various phobias, and a variety of mood disorders, including depression, paranoia, mania, etc..

Schizophrenia is a uniquely human phenomenon, as is multiple personality disorder.

The Liir have only one known mental disorder, but...it's a doozy.

The Zuul's problem is that they are Zuul, for the most part. But almost all Zuul are afraid of fire.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

Genth

Post by Genth » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:37 am

I see! Awesome answers Enirys, thanks! And, like any good answer, it raises more questions;

How is it that the Tarkas, who very nearly managed to breed psionics out of their race, have such neurodiversity? Are they accepting of mental illness, and do they in fact see it as illness at all. Do Hiver, while tampering with their biology, also fiddle with their psychology?

In current pop culture, we laud certain kinds of neurodiversity, what is human attitude in the current era?

Morrigi Alzheimer's must be a kicker... Does that mean they find our pop culture image of the senile old man hugely insulting?

Sorry about all these questions, made a "hellfire" class ship, all projectors and am cannons in my recent game and I had this image of the crews on these ships having a reputation for being comPletely nuts, and that got me thinking about this. :)

Admiral

Post by Admiral » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:03 pm

Genth wrote:Morrigi Alzheimer's must be a kicker... Does that mean they find our pop culture image of the senile old man hugely insulting?

I think they'd be more horrified by it than insulted ;) remember, it comes from a fear of losing identity and belonging, which is expessed in their folktales about wondering ancestor spirits who lose their memory because their tombs are destroyed, cursed to forever wonder the cosmos

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:31 pm

Genth wrote:I see! Awesome answers Enirys, thanks! And, like any good answer, it raises more questions;

How is it that the Tarkas, who very nearly managed to breed psionics out of their race, have such neurodiversity? Are they accepting of mental illness, and do they in fact see it as illness at all. Do Hiver, while tampering with their biology, also fiddle with their psychology?

The Tarkas have enormous biodiversity in general, as they have been a sentient species in a form very similar to the current one for over a million years. As for "breeding out" Psionics--they did not "breed" it out, they attempted to STAMP it out, and quite violently. Their persecution of "witches" is genocidal, not merely a product of selective breeding.

So far as the propensity to disorders of social affect? My argument is that these will be present in any sentient species which is also social. The machinery that produces both sentience and "society" is located in the brain, and it is a large, complex system which has to be built out of meat. As such it will always be subject to break-downs and quirks.

In current pop culture, we laud certain kinds of neurodiversity, what is human attitude in the current era?

I would need a more specific example. In general, I suppose the propensity to violence is really not lionized as much in the post-Consortium human future? But that's pretty broad.

--Arinn

Aedrion

Post by Aedrion » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:16 pm

Don't liir get a whole menu of varied mental disorders when in space?

I always see the liir Naval stations as a home for emos, maniacs and suicidal crazies. :lol:

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:43 pm

I suppose all things are relative. The "craziest" Liir is a lot less crazy than the sanest human, most likely. Because "maniacs" don't live long, in Liir society.

--Arinn

Goomich

Insanity?

Post by Goomich » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:11 am

They become suu'lka.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:16 am

They can, but only once they are the most powerful being on the planet. Prior to that point, insanity is a great way to find yourself taking a nap that you never wake up from.

--Arinn

Tarrak

Post by Tarrak » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:45 am

Erinys wrote:They can, but only once they are the most powerful being on the planet. Prior to that point, insanity is a great way to find yourself taking a nap that you never wake up from.

--Arinn

Literally? I mean do the other Liir band together and overpower your mental capacity and you just fall asleep (I know they don't sleep) and drown as a result or something?
But doesn't that make Liir somewhat dangerous to the other race's insane populations? I can just imagine the results of a curious Liir delegation getting a tour of a human asylum *oh all these poor Humans... come fellows, we must help them!*.
Every time you use 'fluff' for lore a Kerberos developer dies. And they are already an endangered species.

fiendishrabbit

Post by fiendishrabbit » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:19 am

So basically it would be more accurate to say that the Liir response to mental illness in other Liir is "cure or kill" (which is kind of understandable in a species that lives in a psychic network)?
You can't trust the Liir. Never trust someone that smiles all the time.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:59 am

Tarrak wrote:Literally?

Yes. They are called the Choir for a reason. They do not sing along with some songs willingly.

--Arinn

Aedrion

Post by Aedrion » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:58 am

Assuring an insane elder goes to sleep is probably for the best. Otherwise you'll find yourself building giant space suits in no time xD

Tarrak

Post by Tarrak » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:12 pm

Erinys wrote:
Tarrak wrote:Literally?

Yes. They are called the Choir for a reason. They do not sing along with some songs willingly.

--Arinn

Oh I understood the need to silence the discord so to speak, it was more the manner in which they do this.
Every time you use 'fluff' for lore a Kerberos developer dies. And they are already an endangered species.

Return to “The Lore”