Silicoid/swarm origin

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

GildedBear

Silicoid/swarm origin

Post by GildedBear » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:52 am

Begin de-lurk procedure:
Huge lurker sots fan. Love the universe with the depths of its lore and races that are so much more complex than simple descriptors like 'psychic space dolphins'. Even though I like describing them that way.

Anyway, enough first post intro. Onto the origin hypothesis.

I was pondering the Sotsverse the other day, as I am prone to do, and a set thoughts of occurred to me.

Things, I believe, are well established, though I have no quotes to back them up:

The silicoids are a rogue autonomous mining system.
They were made by beings who valued form over function.
Morrigi golden age relics exist, but don't see current crows as kin.
Morrigi are fond of ai/expert system/drone helpers.

Two assumptions that I believe are quite moderate:

Morrigi value form at least as much as function.
The swarm are much less advanced than most, if not all, other randoms.

My supposition:

The silicoids are a morrigi golden age relic. They were made for mining uninhabitable, but mineral rich, systems. The Travelers would come by, collect the resources, and then sell the resources to the women who would build ships. Inefficiency wasn't a problem, since it could be a very long time before the tribe returned to that system and so the holds could still be filled with precious rocks. It's quite possible that they weren't common, after all, why give the competition your secrets.

The only problem I currently see is that the silicoids don't fit the morrigi design aesthetic. However, it's been somewhere around 15 thousand years since the golden age and design aesthetics change, sometimes drastically, over time. One-hundred years has seen huge changes in how cars look, for example.

So there it is. The silicoids were made by golden age morrigi. It seems plausible to me but I'm not the Lore Mistress. <brag> if I am right, it'd be my second successful sots lore prediscovery. I guessed the identity of the suul'ka. I had them rising together though; individuals makes more sense. </brag> Not that I have proof of that prediction, since I didn't ever come on here and say it. Oh well, I'll just have to figure out the proteans, heh.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Re: Silicoid/swarm origin

Post by Erinys » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:23 am

Welcome to the forums, GB. Sorry you idn't de-lurk in time to get your Cassandra or Doomsayer badge. ;)

Silicoids are not of Morrigi manufacture. Sorry to disappoint.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

usermist2

Post by usermist2 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:26 am

The silicoids were created by an elder race. Unfortunately, Morrigi in this context are only "older", not "elder". If you read the Su'ulka thread, they were fighting the Swarm well before the Golden age of the Morrigi.

Things Go Better With C2H5OH.

GildedBear

Post by GildedBear » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:37 pm

Doh. Somehow I missed the Suul'ka dealing with silicoids before the Morrigi rose to importance in the Suul'ka thread. That would blast a pretty big hole in that whole idea. Oh well. Still have thoughts on proteans percolating though.

Erinys, I imagine you don't want tell us direct information about the elder races, at least until the protean masters show up, so asking for specific information would be silly. I will ask this though; are there plans to reveal information about the creators of the various menaces in the galaxy (both grand and not grand)? Aside from the proteans of course. I assume they weren't all made by the same race.

As a side note, what is the difference between the doomsayer and cassandra badges?
Cassandra I get, I think. She was a prophetess who was cursed such that nobody would believe her predictions. I would imagine having your, correct, interpretation of hints ignored, or dismissed, by other forumites would get you that. However, I don't know how the doomsayer badge would be different. Though I do know that the most recent morrigi doomsayer predicted the screamers and the Great Shame.
Of course, the difference might be a secret, or personal preference by the person granting it (I would assume Erinys), or an accuracy thing. shrug. I'm just curious is all.

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:50 pm

There was a post in some other thread that explained both. You're right on the Cassandra title, but i forgot what the deal with Doomsayer was.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Korgan

Post by Korgan » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:51 am

Cassandra's got it right in regards to guessing what the suul'ka were before sots2 came out, but no one listened, doomsayers got part of it right, but not quite the whole truth.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:57 am

Korgan is correct. Cassandra badges were given to people who correctly guessed the nature of the Suul'ka. Doomsayers helped analyze the problem and figured out parts of it (for example, the nature of the Relics) but not the whole thing.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

Return to “The Lore”